Bonds failed a drug test last season

EvilJester99

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
The one way that Bonds is making it worse is that currently, it is all about himself. At least Sosa and Mac had the cover of no one really knowing for sure. Now everyone knows for sure about Bonds, and he's not nice enough to just shut his mouth and slip away. The best thing McGwire is doing now, unless he wanted to sit down with George "Whitewash" Mitchell and tell everything, is just shutting up and going away.

Good point. His ridiculous "Bonds On Bonds" show clearly showed that his self-importance is off the charts, even by pro athlete standards. His constant use of the race card also makes him look like a complete douche.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
Oh boo-hoo, people are digging up trash about celebrities. Like I should give a rats rear end. You want to be famous, have tens of millions of dollars in your bank accounts, have vacation homes, and thousands of people cheering for you, then you better be ready to accept the negative part as well. Don't give me that sh*t. If it's such an undue burden on any of these people, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from giving all their money to Katrina relief and taking a job working 9-5 somewhere or joining the military and heading to Iraq.

I didn't say you should give a ratts ass, and I'll add that I think if you did you would be a dumbass.

And what s*** was it that I gave you...? The reality that is there weren't retards out there who gave a s*** that this wouldn't be news?

And why would you bring up charity work when you have no idea what anyone has or hasn't done regarding giving?

And lastly, was someone "famous" quoted as saying they were burdened? I must have missed that.....

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
This is a good example of what the pro-Bonds crowd doesn't seem to understand. It's not about the steroids, growth hormone, or amphetamines. He's no more a "cheater" than many of his peers. It's about the way Barry treats people.

Really... would you care to share your personal Barry experience.....

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
Well, I wouldn't go that far, but that's the gist of it. Basically, part of being famous is being scrutinized. What I was saying was...own up to it, take the hit, pay the price, move on....

Time heals all.

You weren't saying anything even close to the jump he took.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
It's not the stars fault they are hounded. It's the group of the public that wants and buys the trash that's dug up. Bonds is not to blame for those with such pathetic lives that they have to dig in his garbage. Those that do the digging and buy the s*** are.

Come on Steff, your way too smart to defend these fools. This isn't a shocker though, the Bonds news that is...won't be the last test we found out he failed.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
I didn't say you should give a ratts ass, and I'll add that I think if you did you would be a dumbass.

So, when Barry points his finger at a temmate after testing positive for an amphetamine, only a "dumbass" would consider it news?

Barry's treatment of his teammates and members of the media is well-documented. Do a Google search if you don't already know.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:54 AM)
Him and (my guess) 80% of the rest of the MLB players, I'll toss in there any professional sports player, don't take responsibility, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Heck, even outside of professional sports you have people all over the world blaming everyone else but themselves for problems/situations they get into (I'm not really talking about major problems, even something stupid like someone getting in trouble for not showing up in time....blaming traffic or there friend or whatever).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
Heck, even outside of professional sports you have people all over the world blaming everyone else but themselves for problems/situations they get into (I'm not really talking about major problems, even something stupid like someone getting in trouble for not showing up in time....blaming traffic or there friend or whatever).

Throwing a teammate under the bus to cover one's ass is big no-no in professional sports. To be fair, Palmiero is a douche for doing the same to Tejada.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Steroids aren't illegal when prescribed by a doctor. Eye surgery performed by non doctors is. If Bonds got a prescription, t'aint illegal.

Something tells me that Victor Conte doesn't have a license to prescribe steroids. I'm assuming that HGH is also illegal to sell without a license, but I could be wrong about that.

And wasn't really against the rules either until recently.

The Commissioner's office and MLBPA are lucky that the government isn't coming down on them for conveniently looking the other way while players were injecting themselves in the ballpark locker rooms. One could argue that they were accessories to illegal drug distribution, although it may be difficult to show enough proof to get a conviction.

While all of this is obviously a black eye on baseball, it makes Fank look like a saint and hopefully increases his chances of induction into Cooperstown.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
Something tells me that Victor Conte doesn't have a license to prescribe steroids. I'm assuming that HGH is also illegal to sell without a license, but I could be wrong about that.

No, Victor Conte did not have a license to prescribe their use. HGH is also illegal without a prescription. And furthermore, the steroids and HGH that are given to people with a prescription are done in doses far, far FAR lower than the doses taken by professional athletes for performance enhancement.

Furthermore, it is also illegal to possess or distribute many of these substances in any form at all. The original law was written in 1990 and covered a range of steroids, and the law was expanded significantly in 2004 (including THG after it was discovered). The law also has a vague definition of what constitutes an anabolic steroid (anything related to testosterone or any of the other banned substances on the list).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Now everyone knows for sure about Bonds...

...that he took amphetamines. Which, IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong), is like taking a suped-up Red Bull.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
Barry's treatment of his teammates and members of the media is well-documented. Do a Google search if you don't already know.

Who had Bonds fought with in his career, players wise? I know about the Jeff Kent incident -- which, BTW, was likely as much Kent's fault as Bonds' -- were there any other well-documented 'fights'? I know when AJ was asked about it once, he said he didn't have much of a problem with Barry...

And, from what I've seen of the San Fran media, they ask the same questions day after day after day, despite the fact that they know the answer they're going to get. They're looking for their question to be the spark that sets him off so they have a nice little column the next day (or week).

I'm not trying to paint him as an angel, but he's far from the only "asshole" in the sports community.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
Steroids aren't illegal when prescribed by a doctor. Eye surgery performed by non doctors is. If Bonds got a prescription, t'aint illegal.

And wasn't really against the rules either until recently.

But it is unethical for a physician to prescribe them to a healthy person and is thus illegal for the physician. By the way Bonds' 'personal" physician has had his license suspended twice for unethical behaviour so maybe he did prescribe some.

Once the Feds get their hands on the data from the first drug test where 100 MLB players failed a whole new chapter in this saga will open.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
...that he took amphetamines. Which, IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong), is like taking a suped-up Red Bull.

Who had Bonds fought with in his career, players wise? I know about the Jeff Kent incident -- which, BTW, was likely as much Kent's fault as Bonds' -- were there any other well-documented 'fights'? I know when AJ was asked about it once, he said he didn't have much of a problem with Barry...

And, from what I've seen of the San Fran media, they ask the same questions day after day after day, despite the fact that they know the answer they're going to get. They're looking for their question to be the spark that sets him off so they have a nice little column the next day (or week).

I'm not trying to paint him as an angel, but he's far from the only "asshole" in the sports community.

Which are illegal.

Bonds is pretty much universally disliked by everyone who comes in contact with him unless you can do something for him and even then he's tough to deal with. He's not in the Sheffield category but awfully close. He is just not a good human being. But he is one hell of a ballplayer.

I think he is probably the best all around ballplayer I have ever seen before the steroids. It's a shame what he has done to himself and when trying to leave his mark on baseball he probably has done so but in a negative manner.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)

Barry was voted off of his baseball team by his teammates at ASU for repeated insubordination/disrespect (insubordination to the team captain, general verbal disrespect, borrowed their cars/clothes without asking, etc.). Of course, the coach reversed the decision after Bobby Bonds drove his car onto the practice field and threatened to ruin the coach's career. Aside from the shoving match with Kent in the dugout, Kent has sounded off about Barry to the press (link) and suggested that other players don't like him either. On top of that, Barry doesn't work out or stretch with his teammates and has a history of not showing up for team photos. He has his own private room in the Giants clubhouse with a big-screen TV and a La-Z-Boy chair. Like his college career, he has a general lack of respect for his teammates.

Regarding A.J.'s comments, he also stated that everybody was "walking on eggshells" in the Giants clubhouse because of Bonds and Felipe Alou.

And now Barry points his finger at a teammate after failing a drug test. I can't say I'm surprised.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
Which are illegal.

Are they illegal outside of MLB? Honest question.

They aren't as 'harmful' as steroids, are they? I've always thought of amphetamines as (more or less) energy type things that, prior to last season, most players took.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)

They aren't as 'harmful' as steroids, are they? I've always thought of amphetamines as (more or less) energy type things that, prior to last season, most players took.

Amphetamines definitely are illegal everywhere. They merely didn't test for them in MLB prior to last season.

BTW, I'm not singling out Barry for amphetamine use, which was absolutely rampant in MLB for a LONG time. My point of contention is him blaming a teammate for his failed drug test.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)

Ampetamines are considered by the United States to be Schedule 2 drugs, meaning they have some legitimate medicinal uses but are tightly controlled (you can't get more than a 30 day prescription, etc.). They are under the same category as Cocaine, PCP, Morphine, etc. If I'm reading the law correctly, possession of those products carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, with a minimum of 6.

Anabolic steroids are class 3 drugs, meaning that the penalties for possession of steroids are actually quite a bit lower than the penalties for possession of amphetamines. 5 year max sentence, first offense.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)

They are illegal.

The are potentially more harmful than steroids especially in the short term. Abusing them leads to cardiac problems such as hypertension and pulomary difficulties. They can speed up the heartbeat to a point of permanent damage or cardiac arrest.

they have been used extensively in sports especially baseball since the 60's. In the clubhouse there would be coffee labelled leaded and unleaded to make outsiders think caffienated and decaffinated but it was actually the drugs. They have also been banned as stimulants in international competition and amatuer sports for years.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
Come on Steff, your way too smart to defend these fools. This isn't a shocker though, the Bonds news that is...won't be the last test we found out he failed.

I don't know what you're reading, but I'm not defending anyone.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
So, when Barry points his finger at a temmate after testing positive for an amphetamine, only a "dumbass" would consider it news?

I do believe I was pretty clear in referring to douchebag paparazzi who dig in celebrities trash with that response so did you want to unask that question?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)

So, what you're saying is that you've never met Barry, have no personal experience with him, and choose to hate on him because of things you've heard.

Gotcha....

:rolleyes

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
I do believe I was pretty clear in referring to douchebag paparazzi who dig in celebrities trash with that response so did you want to unask that question?

Wow, I see that some things never change here. :rolleyes

So, what you're saying is that you've never met Barry, have no personal experience with him, and choose to hate on him because of things you've heard.

Yeah, you're right. It's all a big media conspiracy. :rolleyes

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 06:49 PM)
Wow, I see that some things never change here. :rolleyes

Yeah, you're right. It's all a big media conspiracy. :rolleyes

By some things never changing did you mean that you are still having trouble comprehending?

It's pretty simple. You don't have to be a smart ass to attempt to make a point. I get that YOU think that Barry is a jag and Barry has done plenty to make your opinion valid. But to make a general statement that everyone hates him is irresponsible and ignorant. As you said, some things never change.

As for a media conspiracy, beats the hell out of me, but the writing is on the wall if you care to do a Google search and see how much time and effort has been dedicated to the "Barry Bonds is a mf'er lets pool all our resources and out him for any and everything we possibly can and forget about anyone else that also might have broken the rules" cause.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
By some things never changing did you mean that you are still having trouble comprehending?

It's pretty simple. You don't have to be a smart ass to attempt to make a point.

LOL, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I get that YOU think that Barry is a jag and Barry has done plenty to make your opinion valid. But to make a general statement that everyone hates him is irresponsible and ignorant. As you said, some things never change.

I don't recall saying "everyone."

And I don't believe that it was necessary for me to have had personal contact with Hitler, Stalin, Mother Teresa, or John Paul II to be able to make accurate and informed statements about their character.

As for a media conspiracy, beats the hell out of me, but the writing is on the wall if you care to do a Google search and see how much time and effort has been dedicated to the "Barry Bonds is a mf'er lets pool all our resources and out him for any and everything we possibly can and forget about anyone else that also might have broken the rules" cause.

As I said before, this isn't about Bonds taking steroids, growth hormone, or amphetamines. What was that you were saying about reading comprehension?

If you want to believe that Barry is a decent guy who is unfairly portrayed in the media, nobody's stopping you. But there is a massive amount of evidence out there that suggests that you're wrong.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get this. WCsox can't think Bonds is a jerk because he never had a personal experience with him?

What's your personal experience with Paris Hilton? I guess if you never met her before you have to right no call her a ditz or a slut?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
I don't get this. WCsox can't think Bonds is a jerk because he never had a personal experience with him?

What's your personal experience with Paris Hilton? I guess if you never met her before you have to right no call her a ditz or a slut?

I've never called her a ditz, but with video evidence I think it's a safe bet that she's a slut, which I have said she acts like.

And would you mind pointing out to me where it is that I said he couldn't call him a jerk...?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)
LOL, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I don't recall saying "everyone."

And I don't believe that it was necessary for me to have had personal contact with Hitler, Stalin, Mother Teresa, or John Paul II to be able to make accurate and informed statements about their character.

As I said before, this isn't about Bonds taking steroids, growth hormone, or amphetamines. What was that you were saying about reading comprehension?

If you want to believe that Barry is a decent guy who is unfairly portrayed in the media, nobody's stopping you. But there is a massive amount of evidence out there that suggests that you're wrong.

Travel the racist route, but stick to asking questions relevant and in the context the comments were used. I never said those reading this bit of news were dumbasses... though I sure couldn't control those whose shoes would be close in size, eh...

And you are correct, you didn't say everyone. You said "the pro Bonds crowd". So would that be everyone in the crowd or just some of them... half? 25%? 80%....

And I didn't say you needed that contact. I asked you to share your personal experience. If you haven't had one, a simple "I have not had one" would have been sufficient in response.

I'm not even going to get into a pissing contest with you about all the "evidence" that "suggests" I'm wrong. For every bad story there's countering good ones. Aside from that I'm going with personal experience over ignorance and generalization.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never called her a ditz, but with video evidence I think it's a safe bet that she's a slut, which I have said she acts like.

And would you mind pointing out to me where it is that I said he couldn't call him a jerk...?

We also have evidence of his best friend and trainer possessing steroids and Bonds admitting to using steroids (unknowingly supposedly.)

Your response was to WCSOX saying "it's how he treats people." It's obvious to see WCSOX is talking about Bonds in a negative light. WCSOX, do you think Bonds is a jerk?

I read your response as "you never met him before, so you can't have an opinion on him."