Sox like Dye, but at what cost?..... Goodbye Buerhle ?

spiderman

Chicago Tribune Link

Sox general manger Ken Williams has had talks with Dye's agent, Bob Bry, about an extension before free agency but isn't sure he wants to commit that much money to one player.

"There's no doubt we have strong interest in bringing him back, but those are numbers where we have to take a step back and wrestle with them," Williams said. "Once you do these deals, if you are wrong, they can cripple the club with ramifications for a lot of years.

"But this guy has been the consummate professional on and off the field. We just have to consider all the variables."

Chicago Tribune Link

It should not be surprising that Sox general manager Ken Williams will not try to re-sign the team's recognized pitching leader after giving him a chance for an extension last spring.

"With the market as it is, I don't anticipate making that overture again," Williams said recently.

In other words Buehrle's $9.5 million this year will be his last salary from the Sox, who should have younger (and cheaper) options by next season.

It will be the end of an era on the South Side, with Buehrle having helped usher in the new winning feeling in 2000.

With free-agent-to-be Freddy Garcia traded for young pitching, why didn't Williams also trade free-agent-to-be Buehrle instead of young Brandon McCarthy?

"Because there's nothing out there that would give us an equal chance and set us up for the future," Williams said of what he would have received in return for Buehrle, 12-13 last season. "I think [buehrle] is going to have his best year ever.

"The bottom line, and maybe it has been lost in transition, is that we're still focused on winning in '07. As it stood at the end of [last] season, we would have been taking $50 million for a rotation out of a $100 million payroll. It just wasn't going to work."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dye has nothing to do with Buehrle getting 6+ years and $100M+ next offseason. THAT is why Buehrle will not be back, he's simply not worth the money. Dye is going to get some money, a good amount in fact but no where near what Buehrle will earn on the market.

And after reading your topic title again, I'm pretty sure I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

i wouldn't be against keep JD here for 3-4 more years with an option on the 4th/5th but the way the market is i think he could get alot more years and alot more money, but if hes comfortable here then maybe he will make the commitment.

I also wouldn't be against moving him to LF in 08 and letting Ryan take over in RF, and looking to SS for our lead off man.

Buehrle isn't worth anything near what Zito got, neither is Zito for that matter. I wouldn't give mark more than 4 years 48 mil, I think thats a perfect deal for both parties. Too bad shmucks like Gil Meche got 5 years 55 mil making it impossible. Id really like to see what MB's value is according to various statistical and market analysis like Bill James, Zips, or Petcoa. Id would gather 12 mil is about the max hes worth, but in this crazy ass market that could mean like 17-18 mil per year, which is sick. If mark wants anything more than 4 years and 12 mil per year I say fine let him go to the Mariners or Rangers or something for a a fabulous 6 years 80 mil or whatever.

In relation to Dye I dont think at his age his prime for a Carlos Lee type deal. Dye should be valued somewhere between 9-12 Mil I would guess. At age 33 I dont see him getting more than 3 or 4 years so It shouldnt be that difficult to resign him. I would like to see him back, 3 years 33 mil would be good for both.

Since I'm on a bit of a roll with this sort of thing (Pierre, Soriano, etc) I'm going to take a stab at JD's next contract which I believe will come from the Sox.

3 years, $37M guaranteed. $11M per with a 4th year team option worth $12M or a $4M buyout.

I know it seems low but just wait until the press conference, I'll be right in the end.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 02:41 AM)
Since I'm on a bit of a roll with this sort of thing (Pierre, Soriano, etc) I'm going to take a stab at JD's next contract which I believe will come from the Sox.

3 years, $37M guaranteed. $11M per with a 4th year team option worth $12M or a $4M buyout.

This seems like a good assessment but Iam not sold on JD not feeling like he needs to be paid even more because he signed for less and still produced huge numbers for us.He wants his big reward after this season.

If Dye had another monster year, I think he'd get 4 years 60 mllion despite his age although he'd be hut by a deeper outfield class next year than there was this year. Just to clarify, we are still a big market team? If I wanted to root for the Oakland f***in A's I'd wear green and gold.

Buehrle will be here for this season only.

And he won't make it to August if the Sox fall out of contention.

He'd be a great chip to deal for more proven prospects at the trading deadline (as long as he isn't pitching the way he pitched the last three months last year).

As for JD, I don't see us resigning him either.

Sweeney will be the RF of the future. JD has too many miles on the odometer and his career record suggests that he will NOT reproduce the numbers of last season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
Dye has nothing to do with Buehrle getting 6+ years and $100M+ next offseason. THAT is why Buehrle will not be back, he's simply not worth the money. Dye is going to get some money, a good amount in fact but no where near what Buehrle will earn on the market.

ding ding ding ding

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 03:03 AM)
This seems like a good assessment but Iam not sold on JD not feeling like he needs to be paid even more because he signed for less and still produced huge numbers for us.He wants his big reward after this season.

Well, if JD feels like he has been overproductive for us and thus, should make above and beyond what he'll be worth over the next three or four years, he should harken back to his days with the A's, when he raped them of close to thirty million. JD has made his fair share of money in baseball; he deserves to be paid what he's worth, but nothing more.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 04:58 AM)

And after reading your topic title again, I'm pretty sure I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

Nobody in baseball is worth the inflated numbers being thrown out there to sign FA's especially pitchers. The yankmees have done it for years with no titles to show for it. You don't win pennants with one platyer it takes a team effort. I really anticipate Buerhle being traded.

"Because there's nothing out there that would give us an equal chance and set us up for the future," Williams said of what he would have received in return for Buehrle, 12-13 last season. "I think [buehrle] is going to have his best year ever.

"The bottom line, and maybe it has been lost in transition, is that we're still focused on winning in '07. As it stood at the end of [last] season, we would have been taking $50 million for a rotation out of a $100 million payroll. It just wasn't going to work."

So, based on previous evidence, is it a safe bet now that KW does have something in the works to turn Buehrle into talent before he hits FA?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)

I know it seems low but just wait until the press conference, I'll be right in the end.

Couple things to consider when talking about a contract for JD:

1. He's still very much underpaid for this year. So in other words, if he gets to $11-12 million a year, that's a $5 million raise for this season alone.

2. In the back of everyone's mind, the same thing that made JD so cheap for the White Sox will still be a thought; JD's injury history. Yes, he's been healthy the last 2 years, but he should know very well how much money even a minor injury this season could cost him. One stint on the 15 day DL could cost him $5-10 million if he doesn't sign a contract extension before the season.

In other words, there is a monetary security reason for JD to go ahead and sign; he gets money earlier, and he gets it guaranteed whether or not he stays healthy and has a monster season this year.

I would not be surprised to see KW sign someone to a high dollar extension this offseason. In fact, I think he will put quite a bit of effort into it in order to disprove the notion that the Sox are going cheap. Dye would be the most likely player. Crede has Boras issue and Mark has the super inflated pitching market problem. I also think the fact that Anderson has not performed the way the organization had hoped can also facilitate a Dye extension. The Sox just are not as deep in the outfield as they were at the beginning of last offseason. As KW said, Jermaine has been a classy guy and he has been clutch on the field. I'd love to keep rooting for him for years to come.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
I would not be surprised to see KW sign someone to a high dollar extension this offseason. In fact, I think he will put quite a bit of effort into it in order to disprove the notion that the Sox are going cheap. Dye would be the most likely player. Crede has Boras issue and Mark has the super inflated pitching market problem. I also think the fact that Anderson has not performed the way the organization had hoped can also facilitate a Dye extension. The Sox just are not as deep in the outfield as they were at the beginning of last offseason. As KW said, Jermaine has been a classy guy and he has been clutch on the field. I'd love to keep rooting for him for years to come.

And if I may add to this, I think Fields is closer to Crede and his production (assuming his defense improves) than any of our OF prospects are to Dye.

Plus, someone is going to have to be slotted to take Pods place in the OF. So, if you don't re-sign Dye, your potential outfield could be Anderson, Owens and Sweeney. That's not a lot of production out of power slots.

OK Buehrle will be gone, JD likely to be gone-Do we have a guy to replace JD that can put up close to his numbers? Its not likely. His defense has also been outstanding and he could be first base insurance.

This team continuing to dump players for $, unless replacements are there, is a receipe for mediocrity.

They are going to have to pay someone eventually-they just arent deep in the minor leagues .

I just wish payroll was not brought into EVERY comment management makes

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
2. In the back of everyone's mind, the same thing that made JD so cheap for the White Sox will still be a thought; JD's injury history. Yes, he's been healthy the last 2 years, but he should know very well how much money even a minor injury this season could cost him. One stint on the 15 day DL could cost him $5-10 million if he doesn't sign a contract extension before the season.

Hence why I think he'll accept the $37M extension. There Could also be a $3M signing bonus to bump it up to a 3 year $40M contract.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
OK Buehrle will be gone, JD likely to be gone-Do we have a guy to replace JD that can put up close to his numbers? Its not likely. His defense has also been outstanding and he could be first base insurance.

This team continuing to dump players for $, unless replacements are there, is a receipe for mediocrity.

They are going to have to pay someone eventually-they just arent deep in the minor leagues .

I just wish payroll was not brought into EVERY comment management makes

If you saw how much Schoenweiss made this offseason, spending money is not always a recipe for success.

It's just weird that KW keeps saying things like "we don't want to tie up that much money in one playey" or similar things. If the Sox keep their attendance and ratings up they will likely continue to have a top 5-10 payroll. At some point they are going to have to give a player a boat load of money.

I think they have a lot of money coming off the books after this season, they will have a lot of money to play with, I am very intrigued to see how they handle this.

I like Dye and all, he is a great guy, great player for us. But is he really worth that much money? I mean this season was the tops of his career. His next best season hadnt happened since 2000. His years between 2006 and 2001 were somewhat pedestrian. His career numbers are .277 .339 .486 which should really deem his paycheck to be what the market demands right now. IMO he should be paid more than Paul Konerko who has been much more consistent since 2000 than Dye.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
I like Dye and all, he is a great guy, great player for us. But is he really worth that much money? I mean this season was the tops of his career. His next best season hadnt happened since 2000. His years between 2006 and 2001 were somewhat pedestrian. His career numbers are .277 .339 .486 which should really deem his paycheck to be what the market demands right now. IMO he should be paid more than Paul Konerko who has been much more consistent since 2000 than Dye.

Jermaine Dye is not worth that much money if the White Sox are spending $60 million a year on their starting 5 pitchers and have a $100 million salary.

Jermaine Dye may very well be worth that much if the White Sox are spending $25-30 million a year on their starting pitching and would without Dye have a $85 million salary if they resign Crede.

It's a matter of filling holes. If you have a big hole that an expensive player could fill, and you have salary freed up somewhere else, then that expensive player becomes more affordable. The White Sox could not afford dye in 08 with a Garcia, Buehrle, Contereas, Garland, Vazquez rotation. The White Sox may very well be able to afford Dye in 08 with a Danks, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, Floyd/Haeger/Broadway rotation (especially if one of Garland and Vazquez is moved to clear more rookie room before they hit FA).

If some of guys like Danks, Gio, Broadway, Haeger, Floyd, Phillips, and McCullough start to pan out, along with the ungodly cheap bullpen, the White Sox will be able to afford to spend money on 30-35 home run bats if they so choose.