Chris Stewart Traded to Texas for RHP John Lujan

CanOfCorn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
I suppose Stewart became more expendable with Toby on the roster, but Lujan seems like a total project, and Stewart would have been nice to have around if AJ or Toby went down for some insurance.

It's clear Lujan has far more upside, but the C spot seems like an odd area for the Sox to deal away.

We have a backup for the next couple years and a starter for a couple years. Chris Stewart was never going to be a starter and as such we had a superior backup in Hall on the roster. That means by the time a bench spot opens up both Lucy/Hernandez will likely be waiting in the wings (maybe not as starters but for a spot) so there was absolutely no point in keeping Stewart.

The fact that we got an insane arm out of the deal to boot is a mega coup. Kenny is as shrewd as any GM in baseball when it comes to deals like this and I am a believer that you can never have too many arms like this in your system and quite frankly I think this could turn into a steal (and since I never think Stewart will be more than a backup, I see little downside in this deal considering our current options at catcher at the ML level).

Interesting deal.

KW gets some more of that young pitching. Hopefully the Sox scouts have seen something in this guy that they think they can change (maybe in terms of his mechanics etc.), hence why they wanted to pick him up.

Best case scenario, is this guy turns into the next Bobby Jenks. And for a possible serviceable backup catcher who can't hit, I think it's worth pulling the trigger on this deal, just for the possible upside.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
We have a backup for the next couple years and a starter for a couple years. Chris Stewart was never going to be a starter and as such we had a superior backup in Hall on the roster. That means by the time a bench spot opens up both Lucy/Hernandez will likely be waiting in the wings (maybe not as starters but for a spot) so there was absolutely no point in keeping Stewart.

Funny you mention Lucy. I was just gonna get on here and ask how he's been doing without having to look it up. I was really high on this guy when they drafted him out of Stanford.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
seems like we have a hard-on for the pitchers in the Rangers system -- and I don't remember Texas producing many pitchers through the years.

It's just not who you draft, but how you coach and train them.

Case in point the Cubs:

Great arms+Bad training/coaching = Injuries

With the White Sox success over the years with Cooper, they feel they can harness the potential that other teams (like Texas) cannot.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 06:01 PM)
Why not get a young position player once in a while?

Because position players are more durable than pitchers and are much easier to pan out on a year to year basis than pitchers, and (some of) their contracts in the current market are atleast somewhat reasonable.

And because the Sox current organization quite frankly sucks ass at developing hitting talent. Over the past 6 years, it's been like Crede, Rowand, and Olivo. A few years earlier there was Lee, Konerko, and Ordonez, and perhaps one can throw Durham and Singleton in there too. That's like 8 productive players in like 10-12 years, which is just not good at it at all.

On the other hand, they have been OK, not good, at developing pitching talent.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
Because position players are more durable than pitchers and are much easier to pan out on a year to year basis than pitchers, and (some of) their contracts in the current market are atleast somewhat reasonable.

I would also fire back that in terms of raw value in a trade to other teams, a pitcher who is having success is worth more that what his value should be given that he's not playing every day. A #3 starter who pitches every 5th day right now in Free Agency is making as much or more than Konerko. Average pitchers right now seem to have the value of very good starting position players. Think of position players who $11 million a year is a fair deal, and then realize that Gil Meche and Ted Lilly are getting similar contracts.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
Wow, I really liked Stewart big time. Guess they thought his bat would never be good enough for the majors.

Me too! I thought that he had one of the quickest catch/release/throwing accuracy combo's that I have seen in quite a while. I was really hoping that they could do something to help him with his bat. Defensively, he REALLY LOOKED GOOD!

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 01:45 AM)
seems like we have a hard-on for the pitchers in the Rangers system -- and I don't remember Texas producing many pitchers through the years.

There were media reports the sox had scouted the Rangers prospects extensively. The more familiar the sox are with these guys, the better the chance these arms may one day help the sox.

New people are in charge of the Rangers since, IIRC 2003 or 2004. The guys they drafted then are now close to coming into the majors. Esp. the high ceiling arms like Hurley, Diamond, Volquez, etc. So you have to wait to see how these arms turn out. By all accounts, they have much more upside.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
As mentioned before we have enough pitchers for another team... I love the depth we have in the minors etc. but uhh... what about position players? Last time I checked we have virtually no one at SS or 2nd...

Getting a guy like Lujan [and harnessing his control] could potentially net the sox a position player. Yet Stewart wasn't going to play for the sox the next 2 yrs.

Getting a guy who should outperform a back up C like Stewart is a good deal--no matter what position he plays on the field.

BTW--don't discount Chris Getz at 2b. He should have been in high A instead of AA last yr. The sox have been high on him for yrs, drafting him out of high school and in 2005. 2007 should get him back to being a top 10 prospect

There was this little piece on Lujan from the Puerto Rican Winter League of 05-06;

Rangers.MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports Texas Rangers P prospect John Lujan went 1-1 with a 0.00 ERA in 19.2 innings in the Puerto Rican Winter League, fanning 14 and walking four. He gave up just eight hits and one unearned run.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)

OK, someone explain this to me. While I don't think Stewart is a top prospect, he is the best the Sox have if AJ and/or Hall go down.

Why did we trade him for a 22 year old Single A pitcher with not very good overall numbers. Please tell me it's not because he throws hard.

Also, I'm just wondering when KW was a player, did he have a hard time hitting the fastball? Maybe he figures if he couldn't hit it, no one else can either.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
OK, someone explain this to me. While I don't think Stewart is a top prospect, he is the best the Sox have if AJ and/or Hall go down.

Why did we trade him for a 22 year old Single A pitcher with not very good overall numbers. Please tell me it's not because he throws hard.

Also, I'm just wondering when KW was a player, did he have a hard time hitting the fastball? Maybe he figures if he couldn't hit it, no one else can either.

Bob

"The best the Sox have if AJ and/or Hall go down" certainly doesn't say much. Even with Stewart, if AJ and/or Hall went down, they'd have probably looked elsewhere anyway. Hell, they could have gone to Stewart last year and opted to pick up Alomar instead.

It seems pretty clear to me that the Sox didn't see Stewart as a major league catcher. At 25, I don't see him getting much better.

Bob

How many weak-ass hitting backup defensive catchers do you want? The non-hitting ones are all over the minors.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
It looks like KW is filling our minor league system with pitching prospects.

I hope Lujan develops in time.

Which is pretty smart IMO. Puts them in a position to deal in the future from strength with a position coveted most by major league teams. I'm not saying all these guys will pan out...but you've got to like the upside and talent that's being assembled with the arms in the system.

This is just wrong. The Sox would be better off making amends with Carlton Fisk, and then signing him to be the everyday catcher.

Stewart CAN'T hit. If the Sox had to depend upon him to do anything other than be a 3rd catcher who gets into 4 games all year, they would be completely dicked.

There really is no downside at all to this trade, unless Lujan has a Paniagua effect on the team.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 05:16 AM)
Getting a guy like Lujan [and harnessing his control] could potentially net the sox a position player. Yet Stewart wasn't going to play for the sox the next 2 yrs.

Getting a guy who should outperform a back up C like Stewart is a good deal--no matter what position he plays on the field.

BTW--don't discount Chris Getz at 2b. He should have been in high A instead of AA last yr. The sox have been high on him for yrs, drafting him out of high school and in 2005. 2007 should get him back to being a top 10 prospect

I like Getz alot, he has an excellent glove and eye if he can bring that average and power up a bit(if hes at charlotte that should help some) he could be Iguchi's successor and maybe leadoff and if not possibly a utility inf.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
I like Getz alot, he has an excellent glove and eye if he can bring that average and power up a bit(if hes at charlotte that should help some) he could be Iguchi's successor and maybe leadoff and if not possibly a utility inf.

The sox need his avg and OBP skills. Hitting for power is not Getz's M.O. That he has always walked more than he strikes out shows he can handle the bat as well. That would be very important for the sox. Probably not as a leadoff man right away. But hitting 8th or 9th

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
I would also fire back that in terms of raw value in a trade to other teams, a pitcher who is having success is worth more that what his value should be given that he's not playing every day. A #3 starter who pitches every 5th day right now in Free Agency is making as much or more than Konerko. Average pitchers right now seem to have the value of very good starting position players. Think of position players who $11 million a year is a fair deal, and then realize that Gil Meche and Ted Lilly are getting similar contracts.

Interesting.