Woman Dies in Water-Drinking Contest for Nintendo Wii

Texsox

Jennifer Lea Strange, 28, mother of three, died late Friday after drinking over a gallon of water in station KDND 107.9's "Hold your Wee for a Wii" contest, the Sacramento Bee reported.

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Woman-Dies-...id=033003QTV4F9

During the contest, a nurse called in to the station warn of the dangers of drinking too much water quickly. Her worries were dismissed by the disc jockey, The Bee reported.

Experts said too much water can dilute the body's chemical balance, or even cause organs such as the brain to swell.

Hmmm, medical advice from a nurse or from a DJ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 1.5 litres (0.39 gallons)[citation needed] of water per hour at maximum filtration (other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/h (0.24 gal)[2]). Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
I've been a promotion director at a radio station before. I've orchestrated stupid contests like that before. I can't imagine what the promo guy/girl at that station is doing or feeling right now.

Updating the resume, packing her bags, crying, praying,

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Not necessarily... if she had an iron clad disclaimer, if it was the show's idea and she had a paper trail....

But I wonder if that station is hiring....

Maybe, but sorry, but we have a huge image problem here and someone has to take the fall. Here is two weeks severance pay, a nice letter of recomendation, and a KDND 107.9 water bottle. On second thought, we'll throw those water bottles away.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)
The morning show would be more likely to get the axe - not the Promotions Director, honestly.

Good ones are hard to find for 20K a year.

I figured they are suspended right now. I know I'm going straight to hell for this but I'd bet $$$$ that a KDND 107.9 water bottle would be a big ticket item in eBay right now.

This happened a few years back in a college hazing incident. The exact same thing, some kid was pledging a frat and they had a water drinking contest, he started complaining of a headache and disappeared, and a few hours later they found him dead in his room.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crazy. I never would of guessed you could drink water to death, or drink yourself to death...or, I give up.

I recalled seeing an article in Time about how kids were ODing on X but really it was due to drinking way too much water over a short period of time.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
Crazy. I never would of guessed you could drink water to death, or drink yourself to death...or, I give up.

It is actually a serious illness. There are people who are not allowed to bathe by themselves because they try to drink up all of the water. It's one of the stranger things I have ever heard of, but it does exsist.

Update, morning show pulled off the air.

A Sacramento-area morning radio show has been pulled off the air after a woman died last week trying to win a Nintendo Wii during a water-drinking contest at the show's studios.

Executives of KDND-FM posted a note on the station's Web site on Monday saying the "Morning Rave" show would remain off the air while the station investigates the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Lea Strange.

"We are doing everything we can to deal with this difficult situation in a manner that is both respectful and responsible," wrote Vice President and General Manager John Geary on the station's Web site.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
128. And you couldn't google that?

Ok, so 1 beer is 12 ounces, so roughly 10.7 beers make a gallon. I've consumed 10 beers in one sitting plenty of times in my life. You mean to tell me that if I had been drinking water instead I'd be dead?????

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
Ok, so 1 beer is 12 ounces, so roughly 10.7 beers make a gallon. I've consumed 10 beers in one sitting plenty of times in my life. You mean to tell me that if I had been drinking water instead I'd be dead?????

Define "1 sitting"? Chugging 1 every minute?

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)

There's also sodium in beer. It's the lack of sodium in water that causes the body to get all out of whack.