Woman Dies in Water-Drinking Contest for Nintendo Wii

Texsox

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
Define "1 sitting"? Chugging 1 every minute?

No, of course not and I was using the restroom whenever I needed to. She kept all that water in her system, that's a big difference. I have to admit though, I would never have thought that could kill you. It just seems like your bladder should give out before it got anywhere near dangerous. Clearly that's not the case.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
No, of course not and I was using the restroom whenever I needed to. She kept all that water in her system, that's a big difference. I have to admit though, I would never have thought that could kill you. It just seems like your bladder should give out before it got anywhere near dangerous. Clearly that's not the case.

It doesn't have anything to do with going to the bathroom.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
The morning show's existence has already been scrubbed from the website.

10 people fired. The program Director, the Morning Show, the Promotions Director, the morning Producer and two others (probably interns or part timers)

Not really their fault, but probably the smartest thing from a ratings point of view.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
There's also sodium in beer. It's the lack of sodium in water that causes the body to get all out of whack.

The sodium level in beer is comparable to the sodium in water. The brewing water is where the sodium in beer comes from, and unless you are drinking distilled water you are getting sodium in your water. Not enough to maintain an isotonic body environment if you drank a gallon of it though.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
Not really their fault, but probably the smartest thing from a ratings point of view.

From a corporate point of view, maybe. Being cancelled is about the worst thing that can happen to a shows ratings I'd say. :)

People need to realize that these eating and drinking contests are pretty damn dangerous.Especially for these women and children.Within the past few years I have hear about more and more deaths.There has been a couple of the "chubby bunny" deaths with the marshmellows.Unless you are a fathead like me or a freak of nature like Kobiyashi ,you are running a risk when it seems like just fun and games.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
Im sure your body will give out warning signs of some sort when you are reaching your limit. If people are too dumb to discontinue eating/drinking when its making them sick during these contests than I dont feel bad for them at all.

If you're doing something like this, drinking a ton of water, the body probably wouldn't have time to warn you that you'd overdone it before you had problems, honestly. You can fill your stomach up completely with water and that may very well be enough to kill you if that's all that's in there.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
People need to realize that these eating and drinking contests are pretty damn dangerous.Especially for these women and children.Within the past few years I have hear about more and more deaths.There has been a couple of the "chubby bunny" deaths with the marshmellows.Unless you are a fathead like me or a freak of nature like Kobiyashi ,you are running a risk when it seems like just fun and games.

Kobayashi's fault? Could/should some blame be applied?

Edited by Balta1701

I was listening to Free FM in NY today and they were playing audio of the bit on the air and dissecting it as it goes. I will say this. The morning show's on-air attitude was definitely inappropriate about the risks involved on the air, and that may deserve some punishment. However, the morning show participants did actively encourage her to abandon the game at one point and she did eventually (she didn't win the Wii) but it was too late.

Some people should be fired. Including the GM, but he wasn't fired. He had to approve the stunt - and if he didn't, he ought to get fired regardless.

My guess is that at least two or three of the ten people here lost their gig despite not wanting to do the promotion in the first place.

Man this is crazy and also a little scary because I remember one time I was bored and wanted to see if I could chug a gallon of water without stopping.. I chugged half of it and had to stop because it felt like my stomach was going to explode, then I started feeling sick and had to lie down.. crazy