Von Maur

Controlled Chaos

I had a gift card to use. So I did some looking around at the place and I'll be damned if there wasn't a whole world of retail I didn't know existed. This place has the most ridiculous prices I have ever seen. I didn't know there was such a thing as Jeans for $285.00. The brand was 7 for all mankind, which I never even heard of, but all their jeans were like 175-200. In fact, almost every brand of jeans they had there were $125.00 and up. T-shirts were $40.00. Most button up shirts were over $125. Even if you went to a clearence rack that price was like $85.00.

So my question is...who shops here? Who spends $200 on Jeans? $175 on shirts?

Not me. I am a cheap ass - I get my jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts(and an occasional piece of clothing) from the thrift/resale stores.

ETA - my MIL loves that place. I hurt when I step foot in there lol.

Edited by Queen Prawn

I am a cheap ass also when it comes to clothes.

Steve and Barry's used to have everything for 7.95. However they wised up and started to charge a bit more. But 14 bucks for a pair of jeans that is just as good as name bran works for me.

http://www.steveandbarrys.com/

You'd be surprised how many people drop that much on jeans/stuff. Out here in Cali I'd say 3 out of ever 4 girls in the OC own at least on pair of Seven (or similar) jeans and you'd be shocked at how many guys do too.

I own a couple nicer pairs of jeans that would probably cost close to that, however, I have friends in the right place and paid like 30 bucks for them (which is about the most I'd personally pay for jeans).

All that said I have never heard of that store in my life, but I tend to do all my shopping at places where I have friends that work cause I'm a cheapo like that, lol.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
I had a gift card to use. So I did some looking around at the place and I'll be damned if there wasn't a whole world of retail I didn't know existed. This place has the most ridiculous prices I have ever seen. I didn't know there was such a thing as Jeans for $285.00. The brand was 7 for all mankind, which I never even heard of, but all their jeans were like 175-200. In fact, almost every brand of jeans they had there were $125.00 and up. T-shirts were $40.00. Most button up shirts were over $125. Even if you went to a clearence rack that price was like $85.00.

they have one in my mall just south of Indy and I've walked through but never took a peek at prices but the place looks pretty ritzy when you walk through it

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
I am a cheap ass also when it comes to clothes.

Steve and Barry's used to have everything for 7.95. However they wised up and started to charge a bit more. But 14 bucks for a pair of jeans that is just as good as name bran works for me.

http://www.steveandbarrys.com/

some of that stuff doesnt fit right and you can feel the lack of quality in some of the shoes and whatnot

They have Von Maur here in Louisville and I've maybe been in there twice to actually look at anything. Kinda reminds me of Nordstrom's a bit on some of the overpriced crap they carry.

Usually if I'm going to spend a lot on Jeans I'll go to Guess. And if I really want to overpay for a nice shirt, I usually try to look for Lacoste when its on sale (very rarely) at Macy's. But I feel ya, no way I'd pay anywhere near those prices for clothes, its just ridiculous.

theres a Von Maur in St. Charles too. Nice store. Reminds me of what Marshall Fields used to be. They offer free gift wrapping for all orders. Clean store with employees available to help at all times.

not sure about the $185 jeans though. We just bought a $60 money clip.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
They have Von Maur here in Louisville and I've maybe been in there twice to actually look at anything. Kinda reminds me of Nordstrom's a bit on some of the overpriced crap they carry.

Usually if I'm going to spend a lot on Jeans I'll go to Guess. And if I really want to overpay for a nice shirt, I usually try to look for Lacoste when its on sale at Macy's. But I feel ya, no way I'd pay anywhere near those prices for clothes, its just ridiculous.

Yeah, I thought nice jeans were like Tommy Hilfiger, Polo or Guess....I have some Polo and Tommy jeans that were like $95.00 before they were marked down and I bought them. I'd brag to my wife on what a good deal I got on these "expensive" jeans. pfft little did I know.

To me an expensive shirt is like $75.00 and if it's something I really like I'll buy it. But s*** I didn't even know $175.00 shirts existed.

My MIL loves it there also. I've shopped there for myself maybe a handful of times over the past couple years. Mainly for eveningware. I have several pairs of $200 jeans but I would never pay $200, or even $100 for them. I get most of my expensive clothes at the Fields (Macy's) and Nordstrom's sales right after Christmas. More than half off most of the time.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)

I buy some of those clothes, and i know its ridiculous. Most of the time I find those brands at Nordstrom rack or something of the type though, but I have purchased many an expensive pair of jeans like that before.