Samardzija to forego football!

HuskyCaucasian

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2736354

Cubs sign Samardzija to five-year, $8 million deal

ESPN.com news services

Notre Dame wide receiver Jeff Samardzija has decided to forego a pro football career for that of a baseball pitcher -- and he'll be well compensated for it.

Samardzija signed a five-year deal Friday to play baseball full-time, starting in the Chicago Cubs' minor league system.

ESPN.com's Wayne Drehs reports the deal is worth $8 million, guaranteed. A news conference was scheduled for Friday afternoon.

When the Cubs drafted Samardzija in the fifth round last June, giving him a $250,000 signing bonus, he intended to play both football and baseball professionally.

Last season, Samardzija pitched for Class A Boise and Peoria, where he finished a combined 1-2 with a 2.70 earned run average. He struck out 17 and walked 12 in 30 innings.

He is expected to start the season in Class A Peoria, where Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg will be the manager.

ESPN.com senior writer Wayne Drehs contributed to this story.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
Jeff always had the reputation of not being the smartest guy alive, but $8 million guaranteed is $8 million guaranteed. Don't know what he'd get by being selected in the first round of the NFL Draft, but my gut says more than $8 million.

The problem is, the NFL money isnt guaranteed. MLB money is. If I were him and the Cubs were waiving $8 million at me, I'd take it. Heck, if I blew out my arm on my first pitch, I could not have to work a day the rest of my life ($8 million / 100,00 per year = 80 years @ $100,000 per year).

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last season, Samardzija pitched for Class A Boise and Peoria, where he finished a combined 1-2 with a 2.70 earned run average. He struck out 17 and walked 12 in 30 innings.

17 Ks in 30 innings in single A ball does not sound like a 8 million gauranteed prospect to me. It sounds like the Cubs overpaid for an average prospect. Doesn't it?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
17 Ks in 30 innings in single A ball does not sound like a 8 million gauranteed prospect to me. It sounds like the Cubs overpaid for an average prospect. Doesn't it?

The guy throws in the upper 90s and has a big enough frame to project that this will continue. That is why he was worth that money to them. That and the media factor, signing a Notre Dame prospect is always an easy way to get into the papers.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The guy throws in the upper 90s and has a big enough frame to project that this will continue. That is why he was worth that money to them. That and the media factor, signing a Notre Dame prospect is always an easy way to get into the papers.

He throws in the upper 90s and has never averaged close to a strikeout an inning? I find that hard to believe. Not a K an innning in college or lower A ball? Come on! He doesn't throw in the upper 90s.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His frame should be pretty much filled out being 22 and playing football at a NFL type setting like Notre Dame. Give me a break.

Mid 90's fastball and an above average slider. That is the best I could find on him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...ews/263149.html

Though Samardzija remains raw on the mound, the Cubs believe he'll have a consistent mid-90s fastball and an above-average slider if he commits to baseball full-time. He made seven starts this summer between short-season Boise and low Class A Peoria, going 1-2, 2.70 with 17 strikeouts in 30 innings.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)

More importantly factor in that the Cubs pretty much had no draft picks till the 5th round and they basically took all the money they would have given a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th round pick to a guy who slid a couple rounds because many questioned whether he would play baseball.

Yes, he's getting more than he should, but at the same time by spending a bit more the Cubs are getting a potential sandwich pick (I personally think thats as high as he would have went) out of a 5th round pick.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More importantly factor in that the Cubs pretty much had no draft picks till the 5th round and they basically took all the money they would have given a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th round pick to a guy who slid a couple rounds because many questioned whether he would play baseball.

Yes, he's getting more than he should, but at the same time by spending a bit more the Cubs are getting a potential sandwich pick (I personally think thats as high as he would have went) out of a 5th round pick.

You really think he has the potential of a sandwich pick? I just don't see it.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
He throws in the upper 90s and has never averaged close to a strikeout an inning? I find that hard to believe. Not a K an innning in college or lower A ball? Come on! He doesn't throw in the upper 90s.

His frame should be pretty much filled out being 22 and playing football at a NFL type setting like Notre Dame. Give me a break.

Mid 90's fastball and an above average slider. That is the best I could find on him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...ews/263149.html

Though Samardzija remains raw on the mound, the Cubs believe he'll have a consistent mid-90s fastball and an above-average slider if he commits to baseball full-time. He made seven starts this summer between short-season Boise and low Class A Peoria, going 1-2, 2.70 with 17 strikeouts in 30 innings.

His frame is big enough to support his velocity. He is not a stick geeking up to throw hard is what I was talking about.

"He's got the things you look for in a pitcher," said one American League scout of the 6-foot-5 Samardzija. "He just hasn't had a lot of the innings other pitchers have had because he's been playing football. He obviously doesn't spend a lot of time in the summer playing baseball. As a team, you just have to be prepared to sit down with him now and see what he wants to do and be prepared in case he doesn't like baseball.

"He has what you're looking for in terms of arm and body type, and he's got a good frame. But if he's determined to play football, he's determined.

This is why a lot of teams didnt draft him. The cubs gambled on him in the 2nd round threw money at him and got him to commit to basebal. If other teams knew that he would give up football, there would of been a lot more interest.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His frame is big enough to support his velocity. He is not a stick geeking up to throw hard is what I was talking about.

"He's got the things you look for in a pitcher," said one American League scout of the 6-foot-5 Samardzija. "He just hasn't had a lot of the innings other pitchers have had because he's been playing football. He obviously doesn't spend a lot of time in the summer playing baseball. As a team, you just have to be prepared to sit down with him now and see what he wants to do and be prepared in case he doesn't like baseball.

"He has what you're looking for in terms of arm and body type, and he's got a good frame. But if he's determined to play football, he's determined.

This is why a lot of teams didnt draft him. The cubs gambled on him in the 2nd round threw money at him and got him to commit to basebal. If other teams knew that he would give up football, there would of been a lot more interest.

First you said he throws in the upper 90's, which it totally false.

The Cubs did not have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round selection. They took him in the 5th round. Baseball America states that "the Cubs believe he'll have a consistent mid-90s fastball and an above-average slider if he commits to baseball full-time." They believe he WILL. He doesn't even have that yet. He is 22 years old. Come on. This is a name signing to draw interest at their Cubbie Convention. That is all this is. Something to get the fans all hot and bothered at the convention.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A low to mid 90s fastball is about his only pitch and he has no stamina at all to start.

He'll be lucky to get to AAA.

agreed

He will have 8 mil in his pocket and in 2 years he will go play in the NFL.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
A low to mid 90s fastball is about his only pitch and he has no stamina at all to start.

He'll be lucky to get to AAA.

He had a splitter and a breaking pitch. But that doesnt matter. He is in the ER of baseball in the Cubs organization.

My guess is that he will have the following.

Jeff Smardzija will miss a start due to some tightness in his right shoulder.

Jeff Smardzija has taken a precautionary MRI and they have found no structural damage.

Smartzija is on the road the recovery, he is throwing towels at Mesa with Mark Prior.

Smartzija has a minor setback, but is throwing, just not off of a mound.

Smartzija is out for the 2010 season with Tommy John Surgery.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very true. I'm just saying I think he'll be back trying out for an NFL team in a couple years.

I totally agree. He is 6'5" and has great hands. He will be drafted by an NFL team this year in the late rounds. He will get tryouts. He will be trying out for an NFL team next year or the following with 8 million bucks from teh Cubs in his pocket.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
You really think he has the potential of a sandwich pick? I just don't see it.

I don't know whether he should have been a sandwich pick, but if he declared his interest in baseball I would have figured him to be off the board by the time the sandwich picks were done. He's still pretty raw, but he has the tools and his value (as a prospect) is higher because of what he did as a WR (it probably shouldn't be, but it is).

If I graded him out, solely as a pitcher, no, I am not sure I'd have taken him in the sandwich round, but I bet a few teams would have considered it (based soley on his fastball).

I can guarantee you the Cubs have protections in that contract that say if he plays football he has to give back a large chunk. That said any smart NFL team (if they talk to Jeff) should take a chance on the guy in the 2nd day of the draft.

Just the possibility of getting 1st round talent in the 2nd day should make it worth while.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know whether he should have been a sandwich pick, but if he declared his interest in baseball I would have figured him to be off the board by the time the sandwich picks were done. He's still pretty raw, but he has the tools and his value (as a prospect) is higher because of what he did as a WR (it probably shouldn't be, but it is).

If I graded him out, solely as a pitcher, no, I am not sure I'd have taken him in the sandwich round, but I bet a few teams would have considered it (based soley on his fastball).

I can guarantee you the Cubs have protections in that contract that say if he plays football he has to give back a large chunk. That said any smart NFL team (if they talk to Jeff) should take a chance on the guy in the 2nd day of the draft.

Just the possibility of getting 1st round talent in the 2nd day should make it worth while.

I think it also gives him the right to pick and choose where he would like to play and not look like an total jerk by doing it - ala Eli Manning. Like Bo Jackson did when he came out of Auburn. He didn't want to play for TB so he signed with Kansas City to play baseball. Then Oakland traded for him? If a team drafts him that he would like to play for, then great. If he doesn't like the NFL situation then he stays in baseball. He is no a no lose situation. In my opinion I think the Cubs made a stupid move.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
I think it also gives him the right to pick and choose where he would like to play and not look like an total jerk by doing it - ala Eli Manning. Like Bo Jackson did when he came out of Auburn. He didn't want to play for TB so he signed with Kansas City to play baseball. Then Oakland traded for him? If a team drafts him that he would like to play for, then great. If he doesn't like the NFL situation then he stays in baseball. He is no a no lose situation. In my opinion I think the Cubs made a stupid move.

Or John Elway using baseball as his way to never sign with the Colts (Elway is awesome).

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)
The problem is, the NFL money isnt guaranteed. MLB money is. If I were him and the Cubs were waiving $8 million at me, I'd take it. Heck, if I blew out my arm on my first pitch, I could not have to work a day the rest of my life ($8 million / 100,00 per year = 80 years @ $100,000 per year).

Exactly. I doubt that Smardzija could get an $8 milllion contract from an NFL team, even if he went in the first round. And even if he did, there's no guarantee that he'd see anything more than his signing bonus.