Samardzija to forego football!

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
Anybody else have to do a double take when southsideirish quotes southsideirish71? :lol:

He was here first, but as Mike and a few others know I have had this tag for a long time on ESPN and other sites pre 2000.

The easiest way to keep it straight.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was here first, but as Mike and a few others know I have had this tag for a long time on ESPN and other sites pre 2000.

The easiest way to keep it straight.

< Born in Ireland. Real Irish.

< Born on the southside of Chicago to parents that were born in Ireland. Real SOUTHSIDEIRISH.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 07:42 PM)

You should change your nick to Southside"American from Chicago"ofIrishAncestry. :bang

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
When's the last time a prospect received a NTC? I can't imagine him being able to use when signed to a minor league deal. Perhaps if/when he gets called up the NTC goes into effect.

There are some wierd contract clauses being worked out these days and not necessary for the clubs best interest. Remember last year when Andrew Miller got the clause that said he had to pitch in the majors this year. Pretty much starting his clock early. Great idea from Boras no doubt.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
Well he's got $8 million good reasons to choose baseball. I will predict he will be the next Drew Henson.

henson was way more accomplished in baseball than samardzija though. he set a national record for homers in h.s. so at least you could justify it. if samardzija wasnt an NFL prospect he wouldnt be getting jack but leave it to the cubs to overpay

QUOTE(lord chas @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
henson was way more accomplished in baseball than samardzija though. he set a national record for homers in h.s. so at least you could justify it. if samardzija wasnt an NFL prospect he wouldnt be getting jack but leave it to the cubs to overpay

I still think this guy doesnt taste the majors.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
I totally agree. He is 6'5" and has great hands. He will be drafted by an NFL team this year in the late rounds. He will get tryouts. He will be trying out for an NFL team next year or the following with 8 million bucks from teh Cubs in his pocket.

Are you really naive enough to think the Cubs didn't cover their ass in the contract they gave him? The Cubs may be a poorly run franchise but they're not nearly dumb enough to guarantee $8M+ without a clause that would require him to return the money if he were to pursue a career in the NFL in the next 5 years. If Jeff does tank sometime in the next few years and heads off to football he'll be giving a good portion of that guaranteed money back to the Cubs.

CHICAGO -- Notre Dame wide receiver Jeff Samardzija has decided to commit fully to baseball, and on Friday signed a five-year, $10 million Major League contract with the Chicago Cubs, who selected the pitcher in the fifth round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft.

The deal includes two option years -- both club options -- and it could pay the right-hander $16.5 million. It also includes a $2.5 million signing bonus that Samardzija will return to the Cubs if he decides at any point to pursue another sport -- whether it's football, lacrosse, soccer, whatever.

source

what a joke.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 12:38 AM)
Are you really naive enough to think the Cubs didn't cover their ass in the contract they gave him? The Cubs may be a poorly run franchise but they're not nearly dumb enough to guarantee $8M+ without a clause that would require him to return the money if he were to pursue a career in the NFL in the next 5 years. If Jeff does tank sometime in the next few years and heads off to football he'll be giving a good portion of that guaranteed money back to the Cubs.

I just heard Gammons basically verify what you said here. He used the term "almost all" of the money returned if he goes to the NFL.

I don't know who made a more idiotic decision here, Samardzija or the Cubs. This baffles me to no end.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
Jeff always had the reputation of not being the smartest guy alive, but $8 million guaranteed is $8 million guaranteed. Don't know what he'd get by being selected in the first round of the NFL Draft, but my gut says more than $8 million.

He'd have probably got twice that much in guaranteed money alone as a mid to late first rounder (which he was) based on the current salary structure, plus a few million per year addition in base salary. Which is why I have no idea he did this, skipping that to be a bust relief prospect. And the Cubs, giving 5 years and 8 million to this guy and putting him on the 40 man?? HA!!

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
Exactly. I doubt that Smardzija could get an $8 milllion contract from an NFL team, even if he went in the first round. And even if he did, there's no guarantee that he'd see anything more than his signing bonus.

Exactly. Which is why it was a smart move on his part. Not sure how smart for the Cubs...but for him personally...I good move. I highly doubt he'd be a first round pick in the NFL. Football-wise he reminds me of Farmer out of UCLA a few years back...and how'd his NFL career turn out?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)
Perhaps he was thinking of his long-term health and didn't want to die in his forties.

That's what I figured. $8 mill and living to 65-70 compared with any number from $10-30 million (roughly) and dying 20 years sooner? You're rich either way, so I think I'd rather live longer.

holy crap, I'll just throw this in on this thread since it's probably not worth starting a new one... but Jebus... with the Cubs convention this week the Cubs are getting pumped like there's no tomorrow...

my fav so far is on espn.com that has an article saying Prior is ready! We've heard that before!

But really, with all the money they spent this off-season they are STILL in the position of relying on Prior's health. Using hindsight, if they were dropping all this money, the Schmidt contract should have been one they stepped up with... IMO opinion,

Carlos

Schmidt

Lily

Prior

Marquis

looks a hell of a lot more solid than

Carlos

Lily

Prior

Marquis

rotating rookie door of death

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
holy crap, I'll just throw this in on this thread since it's probably not worth starting a new one... but Jebus... with the Cubs convention this week the Cubs are getting pumped like there's no tomorrow...

my fav so far is on espn.com that has an article saying Prior is ready! We've heard that before!

But really, with all the money they spent this off-season they are STILL in the position of relying on Prior's health. Using hindsight, if they were dropping all this money, the Schmidt contract should have been one they stepped up with... IMO opinion,

Carlos

Schmidt

Lily

Prior

Marquis

Carlos

Lily

Prior

Marquis

Rich Hill

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)

Carlos

Schmidt

Lily

Prior

Marquis

Carlos

Lily

Prior

Marquis

At least Prior has talent. Unlike Marquis.