Philly pays Utley....

SoxFan562004

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Sort of, but not that much. Utley is a lot better than Iguchi and a lot younger. No way Iguchi gets that many years, and I doubt he'll get that much money.

Granted on both points, but before this, 2nd base was one of the few positions where we hadn't yet seen someone get a really big contract.

"Backloaded" because he's not a free agent for another 3 years. The first 3 years represent approximations of what he'd get in arbitration. Then the free-agent dollars kick in.

Damn good deal for the Phillies. He's head-and-shoulders above any other second baseman. Maybe Cano is closest, but he hasn't shown either the power or the speed that Utley has.

Somebody please put up a Soriano-vs.-Utley-ometer somewhere to track who performs better over the course of their 7 year contracts.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
"Backloaded" because he's not a free agent for another 3 years. The first 3 years represent approximations of what he'd get in arbitration. Then the free-agent dollars kick in.

Damn good deal for the Phillies. He's head-and-shoulders above any other second baseman. Maybe Cano is closest, but he hasn't shown either the power or the speed that Utley has.

Somebody please put up a Soriano-vs.-Utley-ometer somewhere to track who performs better over the course of their 7 year contracts.

This is also dependent on whether Dan Uggla is for real or not. If Dan improves upon his numbers from last year and continues to become an even better player in the coming seasons then he could be right up there with Utley probably not as good but a level right below Chase seems reasonable.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
This is also dependent on whether Dan Uggla is for real or not. If Dan improves upon his numbers from last year and continues to become an even better player in the coming seasons then he could be right up there with Utley probably not as good but a level right below Chase seems reasonable.

Your sig is awesome... I've only seen one guy, Wojo at espn.com, own up and eat crow on it... I wonder if anyone else will.

I by no means thought Bears would blow-out the Saints, but the saints were only about a month out of looking like complete dogs against the Skins @ home... I thought it was a pick 'em game going in.

thread hijack over.

I need to see Uggla for another before I put him in the upper echelon. There's something about him - and I'm not exactly sure what...perhaps the .340 OBP or a mediocre 5.35 AB/K...that I don't trust yet.

I also think he's a very good candiate to regress this year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
I need to see Uggla for another before I put him in the upper echelon. There's something about him - and I'm not exactly sure what...perhaps the .340 OBP or a mediocre 5.35 AB/K...that I don't trust yet.

That's why I said we have to wait and see with him. He was also a 26 year old rookie which is pretty discouraging, if he comes out and has a major sophomore slump (which there's around a 50/50 chance of happening) then we're down to what? 5 or 6 good 2B in the entire league?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 05:33 PM)

He's more than a good candidate to, I'd fully expect it.