Scott Rolen

Jim Fainter

I just read in today's sports section that Scott Rolen of the Cardinals is still sidelined with a neck injury sustained after a clumsy head first slide at home June 12th. I saw the replay, and it was quite a face plant. A few of us discussed this subject after Derek Jeter's sliding injury in April. Last year a Dodger infielder (Cora) almost broke his neck in a head first slide at second. I just don't understand why players continue sliding head first when it really doesn't get you there any faster and exposes you to such a serious injury.

I wonder how sliding is taught to Sox players. Anybody (Rex) know?

Done properly the headfirst slide gives you the opportunity for a last split second adjustment to avoid a tag that the leg slide does not. Leading with you hands you can decide much later where to try to place you hand on the base and even pull back one hand and tag with the other.

But just like bunting when people don't practice it, they do it wrong.

Done properly the headfirst slide gives you the opportunity for a last split second adjustment to avoid a tag that the leg slide does not.  Leading with you hands you can decide much later where to try to place you hand on the base and even pull back one hand and tag with the other. 

But just like bunting when people don't practice it, they do it wrong.

Whatever happened to the hook slide and fadeaway that many players used to use. Sliding is becoming another lost art.

The problem with head first slides is that guys aren't selective in when they do it. They get into the habit of doing it all the time. It can be dangerous and unless the slide is VERY wide, it should never be done at home plate.

Jim, to answer your question, I have no idea how the Sox teach sliding, or if they do at all. I would think that to get to a point of being drafted, you better know how to already.

The problem with head first slides is that guys aren't selective in when they do it.  They get into the habit of doing it all the time.  It can be dangerous and unless the slide is VERY wide, it should never be done at home plate.

Jim, to answer your question, I have no idea how the Sox teach sliding, or if they do at all.  I would think that to get to a point of being drafted, you better know how to already.

Complacency leads to terrible injuries, these millionaires think just because they have some talent, laws of physics and physiology don't apply to them and that they don't need to be fearful and learn fundamentals.

I never even heard of baseball as a kid, but this is the way I slide: as if every slide is my last one, that keeps me alert and mechanically perfect even if not exactly flashy. That also keeps me from (3 knocks on wood) separating my shoulder or tearing my ACL on a stupid ass slide.

Common sense ain't so common.