Sox Sign Erstad

SkokieSox

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 07:11 AM)
For 3/4 of a million, one year, and as a back up OF/1B, I have no problem with this deal. In todays market, I am surprised he didn't get a 5 year deal at about 20 million dispite his skill set.

Yeah, that dollar amount and PT expectation puts my mind at ease over this.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
Actually it could really hurt the team because there wouldn't be a legit 4th OF on the roster. So yes there is a good amount of risk in this move since the Sox put off finding a 4th OF until now and the guy they're banking on is oft-injured, if he goes down the Sox will be in the same spot they were last year regarding the backup CF situation.

Unless KW chose Erstad from day 1 of this offseason (although frankly that wouldn't surprise me given his thing for Erstad going back so many years), this argument is moot. He's not blocking the signing of another 4th OF. There must not have been another 4th OF who fit what they were looking for. If they had and they could afford him, I'm sure they would have made a hard push, but they apparently didn't like anyone.

If they were resigned to signing a vet to fill that 4th OF role, I like this signing. But if they were planning to give Sweeney the LF job until Pods got back but then b****ed out, turning to the vet, then that's harder to swallow.

Erstad and Ozuna are making the same amount. If he sucks, he will not play. He has to pass a physical first that will determine what role he has.

I see no risk at all in this move. If the guy can not f***ing walk he will not play. They basically signed him to a Minor League deal. Where is the uproar that Wiki may take at bats away from Gustavo Molina?????

If he takes at bats away from Anderson it will be because Anderson sucks no other reason we will see if this plays out.

The guy is intense and has a great attitude, things I like.

This mirrors a move from years back, Ellis Burks. How did that work out. Let Herm get at him.

It could be worse, we could be giving Cliff Floyd a couple mil a year.

Great move. this is the contingency plan we need for Anderson. I realize many of us here (including myself) like Brian Anderson and believe he will develop into an outstanding part of our team, HOWEVER, that is certainly no gurantee. Erstad gives us a capable alternative in CF should Anderson still manage to barely hit over .200 ... we'll see very early in the season which way this goes I think. If Anderson comes out the box like he did last year, Erstad will be given every opportunity to play and play a lot.

According to Scot Merkin, the 25 man roster is set:

Tuesday's signing leaves the White Sox roster all but set in regard to position players. The final two battles to be waged in Spring Training center on filling out the rotation at fifth starter, with Gavin Floyd holding the upper hand, and figuring out the sixth reliever on an 11-man staff. With the South Siders poised to go with two left-handers, hard-throwing Nick Masset looks to be the early front-runner to finish off the bullpen.

How do you guys feel about our 25 man roster on paper right now? Not as sexy as last year, but we should still be in the running to compete for the AL Central title.

Starting Rotation

Mark Buerhle

Jose Contreras

Jon Garland

Javy Vazquez

Gavin Floyd *he must win the job at spring training, will compete with guys like Gio, Danks, Haegar, Logan, Broadway.

Bullpen

Jenks CL

Thorton L SU

Macdougal R SU

Aardsma MR

Sisco MR/LR

Massett * he must win the job at spring training

Starting lineup

Podsednick LF

Iguchi 2B

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Anderson CF

Uribe SS

Bench

Hall C (AJ relief)

Ozuna SS, 3b, 2b , LF (Mr. Pinch runner)

Mackowiack 3b, LF, RF (Mr. Pinch hitter)

Erstad CF, 1B (Defense replacement)

Cintron SS, 2B ( can spell Uribe during the long season)

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)

How do you guys feel about our 25 man roster on paper right now? Not as sexy as last year, but we should still be in the running to compete for the AL Central title.

Starting Rotation

Mark Buerhle

Jose Contreras

Jon Garland

Javy Vazquez

Gavin Floyd *he must win the job at spring training, will compete with guys like Gio, Danks, Haegar, Logan, Broadway.

Bullpen

Jenks CL

Thorton L SU

Macdougal R SU

Aardsma MR

Sisco MR/LR

Starting lineup

Podsednick LF

Iguchi 2B

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Anderson CF

Uribe SS

Bench

Hall C (AJ relief)

I'm a really big fan of our 25 man roster. Assuming some things work out the right way we should be a contender with this roster. Also, everytime I see the names in the bullpen I get real giddy. I don't think they could have done a better job putting the bullpen together.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
I'm a really big fan of our 25 man roster. Assuming some things work out the right way we should be a contender with this roster. Also, everytime I see the names in the bullpen I get real giddy. I don't think they could have done a better job putting the bullpen together.

I really like our bench. And yes Kenny improved the pen this offseason. We have many hard throwers in there now with Sisco, Aardsma, Thorton and Jenks. Macdougal can also bring the heat as well.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
Starting Rotation

Mark Buerhle

Jose Contreras

Jon Garland

Javy Vazquez

I'm pleased with the roster, but if these 4 guys don't step up and improve from last season's performance, it'll be a long season.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 07:09 AM)

Starting Rotation

Mark Buerhle

Jose Contreras

Jon Garland

Javy Vazquez

Bullpen

Jenks CL

Thorton L SU

Macdougal R SU

Aardsma MR

Sisco MR/LR

Starting lineup

Podsednick LF

Iguchi 2B

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Anderson CF

Uribe SS

Bench

Hall C (AJ relief)

I think its a darn solid squad and if it stays healthy and some of our youngsters develop I think it could be a contender when all is said and done. At the same time, if things go wrong we could find oursleves out of things (but you could say that about a lot of teams).

As long as we don't get Erstad playing more than 20% in CF, then this is a solid deal. He's what the team needs as insurance for Pods' groin and Anderson's whiffle bat. If Pods ends up healthy and Anderson stays above .240, then its all good.

But if Pods isn't healthy, or Anderson sucks with the bat again, or if Ozzie plays Erstad way too often in CF like he did with Mack... then this could screw the team in the end. Hopefully if any of those things happen, we see Sweeney come up.

In other words, I agree with wite and the others saying this COULD be a good signing, but may not be, if Ozzie, Pods or Anderson (first half) sucks like they did last year.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
As long as we don't get Erstad playing more than 20% in CF, then this is a solid deal. He's what the team needs as insurance for Pods' groin and Anderson's whiffle bat. If Pods ends up healthy and Anderson stays above .240, then its all good.

Agreed.

...or if Ozzie plays Erstad way too often in CF like he did with Mack... then this could screw the team in the end.

I've always thought that there was something going on behind the scenes with BA. I'm cautiously optimistic that it was a one-time thing and not typical of Ozzie's decision-making.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 06:17 AM)
But winning a GG signifies the cream of the crop defensively

Yup. Like Derek Jeter winning one this year.

Oh, right, he's not very good defensively at all.

Or like Raffy Palmiero winning a GG in 1999 with all of 28 games played in the field that season.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
Yup. Like Derek Jeter winning one this year.

Oh, right, he's not very good defensively at all.

Or like Raffy Palmiero winning a GG in 1999 with all of 28 games played in the field that season.

Whats your point , that all Gold glovers suck ? I already said there are exceptions but its not like Jeter or Palmeiro deserved "lead" gloves is it ? 18 guys get gold gloves every year. You picked 2 guys and go back to 1999 so you're going back 7 seasons. 7 x 18 =126 gold glovers. You're about naming 61 more guys short who YOU didn't think deserve it of making me change my mind.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
You know the signing is pointless when multiple pages in the thread is discussing trivia ( no offense to anyone who participated in the trivia).

Will there be a day that anyone other than wite and kalapse make any sense in the foreseeable future?

2 guys u agree with make sense , the rest of us are senseless. Classy ! Debate the move. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back for your vast knowledge of baseball.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Obviously there are a few different factors that play into things, but I'm surprised and disappointed with didn't see Preston Wilson's name linked with the Sox. Makes a ton more sense than Erstad IMO.

I nearly got killed for wanting Wilson to come here at the deadline last year. With the decent impact he made in St. Louis, I still think he could have helped us.

I'm not gonna say it's a bad signing because the Sox aren't paying him anything to speak of.

But, I don't expect Erstad to play at even an average level for an outfielder. Our outfield looks like crap right now.

Firstly, Erstad, by his own admission is not 100 % and he is hopeful that he will be someday.

Secondly, he has low OBP and NO power.

Lastly, age and injuries have diminished his outfield play to well below Gold Glove caliber.

Well, I guess I'll hope for the best until Kenny trades for a good outfielder.