Sox Sign Erstad

SkokieSox

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
Just cause you are given a major league doesn't restrict you from being sent to the minors. Nobody is gonna hand him a job just because he got a major league deal, he still has to earn it and Ozzie and KW knows that more than anybody.

Uh, wrong. Veteran players cannot be sent down without their approval. "Any player who has been in the major leagues for five full seasons may not be assigned to a minor-league team without his written consent." And the contract is guaranteed, so if you release him, you just eat the whole amount. This is not an invitation, this is a signing, so it's not as low-risk as you're saying. Add to that the recent articles that suggest he'd be coming here because he'd get more at bats, and I'm thinking wite is a lot closer to the truth.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
The point is that he'd never face lefties. Iguchi, Konerko, Dye, Crede and Hall are pretty good against lefties I hear. Pure rumor though.

wow. you just listed so many outfielders to base that response on! well done.

According to the Tribune, Pods is out 6 to 8 weeks, that could take him until the end of spring training. Considering how all those who love him used last year's sports hernia surgery and shortened spring as the reason he absolutely sucked, there isn't any reason whatsoever to think he will do anything but suck in 2007. The article also stated that Erstad may leadoff, with Ozuna and Iguchi other possibilities, and Shannon Stewart was thought about, but he wanted too much money. Considering the Sox are paying Pods $3 million to be Pods, I wonder just how much money is too much money.

This is a HORRIBLE signing. Erstad can't hit a lick, and I'm sure the range he once had in the outfield is long gone. Every AB Erstad gets playing CF should go to Ryan Sweeney. Even Mack is 10 times better as a hitter than Erstad. WTF are they thinking????

For all his focus on pitching, KW has not done anything to address the numerous holes in our lineup. Plus, the LAST thing we needed was another LEFTY. We have only 3 players on the ROSTER who can hit lefties, yet will face a Santana, Rogers, or Sabathia something like 15 times this season.

AACCKKKKKKKK! My hopes for this season continue to decline.

Something you should look at.........If the White Sox would have traded a valuable piece for Aaron Rowand, (I am assumming Erstad's surgery was a success and he will be 100%) the majority of this board would be dancing on the streets. Erstad hasn't been getting on base all that much in recent years. Except for 2004, Rowand hasn't been getting on base at about the same clip. If Erstad is 100% healthy, he is just as good as Rowand except he may hit 3 or 4 less homers. What's the harm in signing him cheaply?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 06:11 PM)
Witesoxfan...the dollar amt hasn't been released yet (unless I am missing something).

Oh I know...the only thing that's pretty much been confirmed is that it's a major league contract with an option for 2008.

And I still think it's too much for Erstad.

I would love the signing if he had one fewer injury and I knew Ozzie would utilize him correctly. I know the one is not true, and I'm about 95% sure the last part won't come true either.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
Erstad's highest OBP since 2000? .346. With an average OBP about .320.

It is a good thing that this backup outfielder/insurance policy improves the bench and will have virtually no impact on the outcome of the season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
Something you should look at.........If the White Sox would have traded a valuable piece for Aaron Rowand, (I am assumming Erstad's surgery was a success and he will be 100%) the majority of this board would be dancing on the streets. Erstad hasn't been getting on base all that much in recent years. Except for 2004, Rowand hasn't been getting on base at about the same clip. If Erstad is 100% healthy, he is just as good as Rowand except he may hit 3 or 4 less homers. What's the harm in signing him cheaply?

There are 2 worries -- First, it's hard to say what a 100% healthy Erstad even looks like now. How diminished is his fielding? His baserunning? Even his hitting? Second, what if he isn't 100% and he plays anyway? I'm just not willing to rule that out.

I don't dislike this as much as some. If the doctors told KW that this surgery is likely to make him again a productive, healthy cf (1b is NOT enough), then it could be worth the risk -- depending on the dollars.

Edit: And I am a Rowand fan, but no way would I be "dancing in the streets" -- if we gave up a "valuable piece", I'd even be pissed.

Edited by jackie hayes

Don't totally quote me on this as 100% factual, but after just talking with a friend of mine, Levine is reporting $750,000/yr with an option for 2008.

Assuming Levine is right (BIG ASSUMPTION), that is a very low-risk, potentially high-reward signing. One that I have no problem with.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
What's the harm in signing him cheaply?

That our manager will put him in as our starting CFer if Anderson doesn't fly out of the gates, despite the fact that Anderson is definitely the better defender of the two and at this point, probably the better hitter.

Oh, and he's lefty, so we still don't have a real platoon partner for Podsednik, who can't hit lefties. We're relying on Pablo Ozuna's magic for yet another season, when there is still a guy out there who is a (seemingly) better fit in Preston Wilson.

Honestly, I don't see how Luis Terrero isn't the same player. Terrero is righty and the one 'plus' about Terrero's game is his defense. He's also about six years younger.

Whatever... this isn't a move that will bug me throughout the year unless Ozzie thinks that 'Proven Veteran Punter' is a better option than Anderson in CF.

And I don't care if Erstad hits 1.000 in Spring Training, those stats mean jack s***. He should be the fourth OFer regardless of what he or BA does in ST.

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Don't totally quote me on this as 100% factual, but after just talking with a friend of mine, Levine is reporting $750,000/yr with an option for 2008.

Assuming Levine is right (BIG ASSUMPTION), that is a very low-risk, potentially high-reward signing. One that I have no problem with.

Any word on the buyout? If it's on the same scale, I'd say that's fine.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 07:05 PM)
Any word on the buyout? If it's on the same scale, I'd say that's fine.

He didn't mention, so I am guessing Levine probably didn't say.

$750k to me isn't much of a gamble for a guy that *COULD* help as much as he might. I am by no means running out to buy an Erstad jersey, but I am not pissed off either.

I have no problem with this deal.

What were our alternatives?

Stewart is just as injury prone as Erstad -- and cannot play CF or 1b.

this guy can play three spots and doesn't cost much.

What did BA do last season to guarantee him 500 at bats?

He was the worst hitter among AL outfielders for the first three months.

If he hits, he should play. If he sucks again, let him sit.

And this allows Sweeney the needed time in Charlotte to gain more confidence as a hitter.

Thumbs up, I say.

Erstad is no world beater. But he is a solid functioning part as a fourth outfielder.

So Pods is out 6 weeks starting when? Starting today, spring training, or the regular season? Im guessing the regular season.. so we won't get Pods back until Mid-May which makes this signing much more valuable. I'm guessing he'll be the fulltime LF until Pods comes back. I also expect Gooch to play temporary leadoff man. Good move KW, low risk may result with high reward.