Sox sign three to minor league deals: Wiki Gonzalez, Kenny Kelly and R

maggsmaggs

Ryan Bukvich's name got cut off, he was the third.

White Sox signed catcher Wiki Gonzalez to a minor league contract.

The White Sox could use some additional catcher depth after parting with Chris Stewart. Gonzalez will act as veteran insurance at Triple-A Charlotte.

White Sox signed outfielder Kenny Kelly to a minor league contract.

Kelly, the former University of Miami quarterback, hit just .248/.332/.305 in 351 at-bats for Triple-A New Orleans last season. The soon-to-be 28-year-old showed some promise in the early portion of the decade, but he's through as a candidate to act as a reserve outfielder

White Sox signed RHP Ryan Bukvich to a minor league contract.

Bukvich, who underwent Tommy John surgery in May 2005, had a 5.17 ERA and a 48/27 K/BB ratio in 47 innings while spending most of last year at Triple-A Oklahoma. He could log some innings for the White Sox come June or July.

Edited by maggsmaggs

The only move that perks my ears is Wiki Gonzalez. I've always kind of liked him and I think he's a real nice replacement to Chris Stewart (even though Stewart had a bit more potential; Wiki is a veteran and in a worse case scenario could be at least a capable backup if called upon, but definitely not a starter anymore).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)
Bukvich is interesting as he is now in the "fully recovered" time frame from Tommy John surgery. Is there a scouting report on this guy?

The guy is a nobody. He's been a reliever his entire career in the minors and hasn't been too good at that. Albeit, he has a decent fastball, he has pretty much nothing else and will be 29 a month or so into the season (with a career 6.94 ERA in 48 major league appearances and most of those appearances were before he got injured and underwent surgery).

Its simply AAA fodder.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
The guy is a nobody. He's been a reliever his entire career in the minors and hasn't been too good at that. Albeit, he has a decent fastball, he has pretty much nothing else and will be 29 a month or so into the season (with a career 6.94 ERA in 48 major league appearances and most of those appearances were before he got injured and underwent surgery).

Its simply AAA fodder.

Not to be a jerk, but you know this...how? I mean, isn't it possible that he could find something? Wasn't Brendan Donnelly a late bloomer?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
Not to be a jerk, but you know this...how? I mean, isn't it possible that he could find something? Wasn't Brendan Donnelly a late bloomer?

Ya Donnelly was a late bloomer, but the guy had pretty good stuff and how many Brandon Donnelly's are there. I'm sorry, we have a zillion guys in our system that are better. Plus we have a ton of guys in our major league pen that are better. And if I'm wrong, I think everyone here knows I'd be more than willing to admit it (in fact whenever I say something negative about a Sox, I hope that I am wrong).

But not only are his stats terrible, but he doesn't have major league stuff (which is what I typically look at over stats, but when you add the two of them together it overwhelming tells me its simply a minor league signing).