MLB Extra Innings subscribers

maggliopipe

Ive had Directv since 97, and very rarely ever does my satelite go out like others have described. If it gets REALLY bad out, then yeah it might flicker or go out for a bit, but its usually very minor. But you know what? My friends and neighboors who have cable have the exact same issues and problems when the weather gets bad out. Never had an issue with customer service either. Ive heard a lot of horror stories about DirecTV over the years, but thankfully I havent expierenced it.

btw I think you get 20 bucks off Xtra Innings if you have it already and just auto-renew the sub. every year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well comcast sucks also...I considered switching..but

DirectTV compresses their HD signal so you don't get the best HD quality regardless so don't blow your checkbook on a new DLP or Plasma only to push DirectTVs signals through it.

the web TV quality was so/so I think it might be painful to watch a whole game on a big screen, better used for @ work purposes.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
Here's what you do. You can get up to 6 receivers per account. There is no telling where the receivers are hooked up. You can have 6 receivers in 6 different houses. All each person has to do is buy their own dish, which you can get on ebay. Then split the bill.

what??

im wondering if this is off comcast.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
I recently switched from Cox Cable to DirecTV when I moved. I can't stand DirecTV...their customer service is horrible, they're expensive, and their tv guide maneuverability is ridiculously slow. Not to mention losing signal from even a weak storm system overhead. They lock you into contracts too. I signed up and I'm stuck with it for 2 years, plus any changes you make to your system (ie, upgrade from dvr to HD tivo receiver) extends your contract another year. Of course, being the baseball fan I am, I'd switch if I didn't already have it. I hate these deals, although it is good from a business perspective it s***s on the fans.

The football package is something like $280 so it'll be interesting to see how much they jack the price up on the MLB package.

I know someone who's been waiting 2 months for a service call

Nothing real new here but Variety came out with an article yesterday on this very subject and they do include some interesting tidbits.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795857...yid=14&cs=1

MLB plays hardball with cable

Baseball close to exclusive deal with DirecTV

By JOHN DEMPSEY

All of a sudden, baseball is not Mom and apple pie any more.

The sports world is in an uproar over reports that Major League Baseball has thrown a beanball at cable TV, turning down its offer to renew Extra Innings, the league's out-of-market package of regular-season games.

Instead, baseball is close to an exclusive deal with DirecTV, which is ready to fork over $100 million a year for a seven-year contract to carry Extra Innings, starting this season.

If that deal goes through, more than 300,000 people who paid $179 each last year to get Extra Innings either on cable or on EchoStar, DirecTV's sole satellite competitor, will be out of luck.

Some of these people are bombarding Washington with angry calls and e-mails. The most high-profile responder to date: Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), who said last week that he's going to sic the FCC on MLB.

But baseball appears willing to shrug off all of these slings and arrows, not only because of DirecTV's $700 million license fee but because DirecTV will embrace the planned 24/7 Baseball Network, shoehorning it into the Total Choice package that goes to almost all of its 15.8 million subscribers. The Baseball Network (TBN) is still in the works, but it's expected to open for business early in 2009.

Baseball made a similar proposal to In Demand, which put together previous Extra Innings deals for cable. To renew Extra Innings, baseball wanted full clearance of TBN, meaning a choice slot on the expanded basic tier, which would put it in front of 95% or more of cable subscribers in each system.

Baseball's TBN-coverage requirement turned out to be a deal breaker: The days when a fledgling network could claim expanded basic on a cable system have vanished.

Just ask the NFL Network, which offers huge volumes of original programming, highlighted by eight regular-season primetime games each year. Many cable ops, including Time Warner and Charter, have rejected the NFL net's expanded-basic demands.

Says Bob Gutkowski, CEO of Sports Marketing Intl.: "I'm not sure that reaching only 15 million people with Extra Innings and the new network is such a great business model. If you're a good distributor, you want to get the whole world." The most widely cleared cable networks now reach about 92.5 million cable-and-satellite homes.

"But baseball is not negotiating from a position of strength," says Rick Gentile, professor of sports management for Seton Hall U. "Its ratings have fallen off in the last couple of years, and the last few World Series have hit record lows."

However, Chris Bevilacqua, a partner in SPC Worldwide, a sports-marketing operation, says baseball could still climb out of its dilemma by beefing up its broadband Website.

Cable subscribers don't have to cancel cable and buy DirecTV. Instead, Bevilacqua says that with high-speed connections, they can get all of the out-of-market games through streaming video on their computers for an annual fee of less than $100.

But what about eyestrain from watching baseball games on a small laptop screen? Have no fear, he says: "Manufacturers are working on devices that will link up the computer to your TV set wirelessly."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
Nothing real new here but Variety came out with an article yesterday on this very subject and they do include some interesting tidbits.

Good read, got me up-to-snuff on some of the situation. The whole Baseball Network angle is new to me. I think it is an interesting idea, but not sure MLB could pull it off. Yeah, I think NFL Network is quality and well done, but the NFL has shown FAR greater leadership than MLB. I just think MLB's attempt at a network will turn into a cluster.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
Good read, got me up-to-snuff on some of the situation. The whole Baseball Network angle is new to me. I think it is an interesting idea, but not sure MLB could pull it off. Yeah, I think NFL Network is quality and well done, but the NFL has shown FAR greater leadership than MLB. I just think MLB's attempt at a network will turn into a cluster.

If they at least show a good amount classic games, especially early 90's and 80's games it will be a huge success in my eyes. As of right now there's NOWHERE to go for classic baseball games. I'd also love replays of some of the weeks best games similar to what the NFL Network does, I don't have much use for original programming and fantasy news frankly because I don't respect the opinion of most of the analysts out there.

It would be great to have place to go on TV for immediate scores on scroll and instant highlights of the day's games. If they wanted to they could make the network unbelievable but I do agree with you Uncle Bud and Co. will likely f*** it up.

Baseball really is the dumbest sport around. They have an anti-trust exemption which allows them to get away with murder, yet they seem to try to do everything possible to piss off the wrong people. I really think we will see a review of their status given the mess from the Steroid stuff and now this.