Pods Surgery Details...

joeynach

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 08:01 PM)
Well, the 2nd half wasn't exactly stellar, but my goal in that sentence was this season.

Last season, yeah, ok, i'll accept Pods being hurt as an excuse. He had no spring training, had surgery in the offseason, and didn't seem healthy all year.

Now, we're talking about him missing chunks of ST again, maybe having no ST or missing parts of the season again, and its fairly likely that this will negatively affect his playing ability...again. In other words, he may well suck again this year because of injuries. At which point, he'll have sucked for 2 straight years and been hurt for 2.5. That's injury prone. That's the kind of guy you don't pencil in as your starting leadoff hitter.

The bold part drives me crazy. Pod's had ONE bad month in 2005. August. Happened to be the same month he went on the DL. Now, if you mean Pod's wasn't the same as far as stealing bases the second half, we agree.

Somebody find me a starting AL left fielder that will rate worse than Pods this year, assuming he is coming off multiple injuries/surgeries, stealing bases at a 60-65% clip, hitting .260 with no power, and playing terrible defense.

Exactly what is the f***ing upside? This guy is a mediocre ballplayer who had a couple of good 4 to 5 month streaks in him for him to be able to call it a major league career.

Worst re-signing of the offseason by a country mile.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
Bruce Levine is currently discussing. First of all he said the Erstad signing was sert long before they learned about Pods needing surgery. He this surgery is not related to various groin problems or groin strains Pods has had over the past couple years with the white sox. He said the surgery is on the other side groin where he incurred an injury 4 years ago in Milwaukee. Still didn't really label the surgery as anything specific. I would still like to find out is this a tear, a hernia, a strain, scar tissue, and other details like how long will he be out, whats the timetable, etc.

I guess this make the Erstad signing look a little better. We couldn't just have Ozuna out there everyday in LF we needed a real OF with a real glove and at least Erstad brings that to the table for us.

I dont buy it. how in the world did they sign a guy ............ then discover hes hurt?

A: They were in such a rush to sign him cheap, because of that stupid Soriano signing. Kenny point blank said that "seeing the market" behave the way it was, he wasnt going to play the $$$ game and said

Pods made "sense". It was right after if you remember, that Phil Rogers THE HERETIC filed his story

about the SOX not playing the $$$ game and were about to peddle every pitcher worth something

Anyone on this board except for a couple of you think that maybe...JUST MAYBE...he RE-injured it?

Every player has an exit exam...could it be POSSIBLE that the Sox doctors said, "Pods, your groin looks like it still hurts a bit. Try to stretch and do some physical therapy and ease back into your routine. If something happens, tell us and we'll fix it through surgery."

"Thanks Doc, I'll do that."

Cut to a couple of weeks ago.

"Ouch. I think I RE-injured my groin. I should have surgery to fix this problem now, before I do anymore damage to it."

Why do so many people think it's the magic bullet? That players hide problems ALL the time? The Sox had probably the last medical report on Pods, and if that's the case, and Pods HAD the problem and they re-signed him anyway, then who's fault is it? If he WAS fine, and Pods re-injured himself...well, hamburgers happens and he's fixing it.

So cut the guy some slack, the Sox brought in a free agent outfielder and Sweeney needs another year in AAA.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
The bold part drives me crazy. Pod's had ONE bad month in 2005. August. Happened to be the same month he went on the DL. Now, if you mean Pod's wasn't the same as far as stealing bases the second half, we agree.

That's what he was most valuable for.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
Anyone on this board except for a couple of you think that maybe...JUST MAYBE...he RE-injured it?

Every player has an exit exam...could it be POSSIBLE that the Sox doctors said, "Pods, your groin looks like it still hurts a bit. Try to stretch and do some physical therapy and ease back into your routine. If something happens, tell us and we'll fix it through surgery."

"Thanks Doc, I'll do that."

Cut to a couple of weeks ago.

"Ouch. I think I RE-injured my groin. I should have surgery to fix this problem now, before I do anymore damage to it."

Why do so many people think it's the magic bullet? That players hide problems ALL the time? The Sox had probably the last medical report on Pods, and if that's the case, and Pods HAD the problem and they re-signed him anyway, then who's fault is it? If he WAS fine, and Pods re-injured himself...well, hamburgers happens and he's fixing it.

So cut the guy some slack, the Sox brought in a free agent outfielder and Sweeney needs another year in AAA.

I understand it is the other groin muscle not the one he previously had surgery on.

Makes me wonder what exactly he is doing in the off-season. Might have to do with his off season work-outs (especially his evening workouts).

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
I dont buy it. how in the world did they sign a guy ............ then discover hes hurt?

A: They were in such a rush to sign him cheap, because of that stupid Soriano signing. Kenny point blank said that "seeing the market" behave the way it was, he wasnt going to play the $$$ game and said

Pods made "sense". It was right after if you remember, that Phil Rogers THE HERETIC filed his story

about the SOX not playing the $$$ game and were about to peddle every pitcher worth something

Just stop. This had zero to do with your favorite team from the north side.

If Pods is healthy, then the cheap signing they got him for made perfect sense, whether or not you planned on trading him later.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
Just stop. This had zero to do with your favorite team from the north side.

If Pods is healthy, then the cheap signing they got him for made perfect sense, whether or not you planned on trading him later.

You dont think so?

You dont think Kenny re-signing Pods had anything to do with the this years offseason Marketplace?

You dont think Kenny felt that the skyrocketing salaries and lack of available (read: scout-able talent)

had anything to do with Kenny hastily re-signing Pods?

Thats funny, because those were the reasons he was quoted as saying WHY the SOX were re-signing Pods.

I think all along, the SOX were looking hard for another leadoff/outfielder, and Plan B was Podsednik, except that Pods may not have been plan B all along. The SOX are pretty good at making sure someones healthy before resigning. Note the timing of Pods announcement/Erstad announcement

From Merkin's article about Erstad's signing, this:

But with left fielder Scott Podsednik's expected two-month absence as he recovers from Tuesday's surgery for a sports hernia and center fielder Brian Anderson trying to prove himself offensively in his second season in the big leagues, Erstad could quickly work his way into a starting role.

First thing I've seen backing off of the 6-week figure.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 25, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
From Merkin's article about Erstad's signing, this:

First thing I've seen backing off of the 6-week figure.

GOOD CATCH there Jackie. We were talking about this yesterday in the office. Sure, its only a couple more week difference between 6 weeks and 8 weeks (2 months) but that is the Bright Side Outlook, this can and probably nag him past the all-star break .......... We'll soonstart hearing May return ......etc