What was/is more special to you?

dmbjeff

What did you or would you prefer more?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. 2005 Sox World Series or 2006 Bears Super Bowl

• 2006 Chicago Bears Super Bowl
    • 2005 White Sox World Series

I know this is a Sox message board so the view may be quite slanted, but I'm curious how people feel about what is more important to them, Super Bowl or World Series.

I voted for the Sox because I had seen the 1985 Bears when I was a kid but the World Series for me was a first and also something I sometimes never thought would actually happen.

Edited by dmbjeff

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was negative 1 years old when the Bears last won the Super Bowl but even so the '05 World Series will probably be the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. I love football and all and i especially love the Bears but nothing tops the White Sox in my book. Plus that '05 World Series felt like a special event created only for a select group of people simply because of how little coverage the Sox get nation wide and how they're overshadowed locally by the Cubs. This Superbowl feels a whole lot more wide spread than that.

Not even a question for me. I'm thrilled the Bears are there, but since moving away almost 20 years ago, somewhere along the line the stopped being My Bears. The White Sox have never stopped being My White Sox, even when they had the suck turned up to 11. So when it all came together and we owned it wire-to-wire, from the first game of the season to the last out of the WS, 2005 was so completely special and personal i don't think anything can ever top it.

That said, Go Bears!

World Series.

The first year I remember following football was the '85 Bears. It never got as good as it did that year.

For me, life was a bat-and-ball world. I grew up and came of age feeling that the World Series were for other teams in other cities.

I think Im more excited then I would be because the Sox just won it. But overall the Sox championship meant a lot more to me then a Bears would. If the Bears won this year and the Sox won againt, Id take the Bears over the Second championship, but Ive been alive for a Bears superbowl already, I was only 3, but a White Sox world series could be a once in a lifetime thing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 12:54 AM)
Plus that '05 World Series felt like a special event created only for a select group of people simply because of how little coverage the Sox get nation wide and how they're overshadowed locally by the Cubs. This Superbowl feels a whole lot more wide spread than that.

I'm more or less indifferent on the Bears, but I agree with this part of your statement 100%.

I think that it's much more difficult to win a world series than a super bowl, 2006 Cardinals aside. What the bears have done is great for their fans, no doubt, but to make it through 162 games and then pull it together to hit stride in the playoffs, needing 11 more wins to win it all, takes a special group of players. A super bowl win just doesn't have the luster, imo.

Hands down ............ No Contest, the SOX WORLD SERIES. first off, it was 88 years when the last one won, the Bears won a SuperBowl in 1986. Also, this town is 100% behind the Bears, with them not having to split a fanbase, nor having to fight with a Media that doesnt like them. The 05 SOX (and their fanbase) had so many obstacles to overcome, to win that season, especially because they WERE NOT EXPECTED TO WIN. The way they banded together, fighting a lack of respect from their own media for most of the season, a team filled with a supposed band of castoffs (AJ, Everett, Contreras) these guys were all key contributors to the team at one point or another. And then the way the Pitching Staff came together for that 3 week stretch, and the SOX doing every possible thing to win games in the most extraordinary ways ............... made for one of the best Storybook Seasons in decades in the MLB (the 03 Marlins also had a storybook season)

I love the Bears and White Sox equally but I was old enough to remember '85 so the Super Bowl this yr for me isn't as exciting as that '05 World Series. Plus, I do love baseball more than football so that pretty much clinched it for me to pick the '05 World Series.

Without a doubt, its the '05 Sox championship. I love football, and the Bears are my favorite football team. I didn't even get the chance to enjoy the '85 Bears, as I was only 4 years old. I'm excited for the chance to finally witness a Bears championship, but still, while I love the Bears, the White Sox are my religion. The '05 season was the pinnacle of my life as a sports fan. Almost sad to think that at the age of 25, there will be nothing over the rest of my lifetime that will top it.

WOW...this is hard.

I don't think I can pick one...I mean, I'm more of a Chicago fan (minus the Cubs) so whoever is doing well, that's the big thing in my life. I was 14 when the Bears won Super Bowl XX and it had been sooooo long since the city of Chicago won, well, anything of meaning (and yes, I'm including the '83 Sox and the '84 Cubs) that the town went absolutely crazy over the Shufflin' Crew.

BUT, Chicago is a huuuuuge baseball town and the fact that the White Sox, of all teams, won the WS, that was incredibly special.

Nope, I can't pick one over the other. I'm just a Chicago fan and every championship is special.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
I was negative 1 years old when the Bears last won the Super Bowl but even so the '05 World Series will probably be the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. I love football and all and i especially love the Bears but nothing tops the White Sox in my book. Plus that '05 World Series felt like a special event created only for a select group of people simply because of how little coverage the Sox get nation wide and how they're overshadowed locally by the Cubs. This Superbowl feels a whole lot more wide spread than that.

Same, but substitute Bears for Colts and ignore the fact that the Colts are in the SB for the first time in Indy and my lifetime.

I do root for the Bears (I'm not a diehard or anything), but this isn't even close for me.

The White Sox winning the series in 2005 was just unbelievable and I'll be shocked if a sports moment ever tops that in my life unless they win a few more.