SOTU thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 07:28 AM)
I am surprised no one has really said anything yet. Thoughts? Opinions?

I guess I'm still just floored that GWB conceeded the fact that global climate change is occurring. :o

No call for capping greenhouse emissions of course, and not even a full-onadmonition that human activity is playing a significant part in climate change. But a tacit admission of such was there, otherwise changing our behavior (re fuel consumption) would not have any measurable effect either.

Does that mean Tony Snow is going to come out today and remind us that we shouldn't take the President's SOTU too literally, like they did after he spoke of our foreign oil addiction last year? :)

I loved his focus on education.

I was flipping between the SOTU and another show, and I must admit the speech (and the response) sounded like a bunch of political blather to me. Actually, it all reminded me of my students on the last page of their essays, they don't really have anything to say, but they need to fill up another page.

No offense to Bush in this comment, but he's one man, the Nation's and World's problems are large. He looks like he is carrying them all on his shoulders. I sensed a just let me make it until the end and get the hell out vibe. He hasn't looked like he is enjoying the job anymore.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 08:42 AM)
No offense to Bush in this comment, but he's one man, the Nation's and World's problems are large. He looks like he is carrying them all on his shoulders. I sensed a just let me make it until the end and get the hell out vibe. He hasn't looked like he is enjoying the job anymore.

Would you while being compared to Hitler, et al?

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
Would you while being compared to Hitler, et al?

Every President ends his term looking the same way. They age in dog years in the Oval Office. It's hard work, pressure every day.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
I forgot to add that the complete lack of even a mention of Katrina or the Gulf Coast still being in a shambles was pathetic. So much talk about not abandoning our friends in Iraq, but what about our citizens right here?

I'm getting really tired of this Katrina crap. First the Saints as 'saints' for having a good team (please people, how many more rich ass football players do I have to hear telling me what a terrible tragedy it is. Stop running your mouth and donate a years worth of your salary, which could probably support hundreds and hundreds of families, ya selfish bastards) and now this. I'm sorry man. It's no longer the federal governments job to clean up that mess IMO. They messed up, absolutely agreed there, but its time for the state and local governments to take over and fix the mess that THEY were responsible for.

Federal government aids in disasters, they don't fix.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Federal government aids in disasters, they don't fix.

The federal government is a huge infrastructure builder. They are a huge financier of programs.

[quote The federal government is a huge infrastructure builder. They are a huge financier of programs.

Right, that would be the aiding portion. The fixing portion would be the local and state government taking that aid and fixing the city. How many hundreds of millions (or we into the billions now?) has the federal government given the state and city? How much manpower has been given (or is still there)?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)

Well right. Levee systems I guess I'll give you. But I was meaning the homes and neighborhoods, commercial districts, etc. You look at pictures from the last month and it looks like nothing has changed. Entire neighborhoods look like a tornado just ran through them. This, to me, is a failure of the local and state government. Nagen is too busy gaining sympathy (and face time on national tv) than fixing his city. That's how I see it.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Well right. Levee systems I guess I'll give you. But I was meaning the homes and neighborhoods, commercial districts, etc. You look at pictures from the last month and it looks like nothing has changed. Entire neighborhoods look like a tornado just ran through them. This, to me, is a failure of the local and state government. Nagen is too busy gaining sympathy (and face time on national tv) than fixing his city. That's how I see it.

None of that can or will be touched by anyone until there is a functioning levee system that insurers believe in.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)

I don't think it is possible, or wise, to try and rebuild everything at once. It will be a neighborhood by neighborhood project, The state and local governments aren't doing the actual home construction, that is private industry.

I am also starting to wonder what the best response is. We've never had to rebuild a city of this magnitude. Is the best role of the feds to be sitting on the side lines? I could be convinced that mobilizing all available resources, federal to private, is the best approach.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
I don't think it is possible, or wise, to try and rebuild everything at once. It will be a neighborhood by neighborhood project, The state and local governments aren't doing the actual home construction, that is private industry.

I am also starting to wonder what the best response is. We've never had to rebuild a city of this magnitude. Is the best role of the feds to be sitting on the side lines? I could be convinced that mobilizing all available resources, federal to private, is the best approach.

I guess I'm just not seeing ANY progress. I didn't think the city would miraculously rebuild in one night. But I expected a little more progress after a year. Who knows, maybe I should be a little more patient, I just don't think the officials in charge are doing everything they can, but instead are focusing a lot of their energy on gaining sympathy or deflecting their responibility towards the federal government.

If anything I think the one lesson we could learn from Katrina (besides the obvious recovery mess) is that there are far too many uninsured homeowners out there. I didn't think it was possible to buy a home without getting some sort of insurance coverage (perhaps that's just in IL), but when people down there lost their homes, they got nothing back.

I'm with Balta here. :o

State Farm just settled with victims 2 days ago in Mississippi and...

Today’s agreement does not apply to Louisiana, where the destruction was even greater, and where lawyers and insurers say no settlement talks have taken place.

NY Times