Which Sox players would you keep

Rockabilly

So what all do we have to consider? Injury risk, pricetag, talent, bias, organizational depth...?

Considering all of them, it's Garland, Iguchi, and Pierzynski. The most consistent starter, a 2Bman which the Sox have basically none of in the lower minors (unless you count Ricks, and I don't), and a catcher which the Sox similarly don't have much of in the minors (unless you count Lucy and Hernandez, and they are both borderline at this point).

What I don't understand is the White Sox now draw approx. 3 million fans. Ticket prices are rising, more premium areas are being dropped in. KW talked about a defeatist attitude he wanted to change. But now the organization has this defeatist attitude about every player near the end of a contract. The fans have stepped up. Its time the organization does and signs some of these guys.

Part of the issue here, and with all these salaries, is the question: what guys do we have that can step in?

Right now, we don't have anyone who can step in at either the catcher or Middle Infield spots, and unless Jerry Owens improves more than I expect, it looks like we need another outfielder or 3rd baseman (depending on what we do with Fields).

It's not defeatist to want to spend your money in the wisest way possible, it's defeatest to never spend money. The White Sox are currently deep in the minors in pitching and have Fields and Sweeney ready to step in somewhere within a year or two, and maybe another OF on the way up who could be ready around 09. In other words, we can afford to part with our starting pitchers more than guys like Iguchi.

The right and smart way to spend money, to my eyes, is to use the money to prevent yourself from having a gaping hole. If you only have 2 starting pitchers, you're screwed. If you have no power, you're in trouble. Etc. The Sox currently have a lot of power at 1b/DH, so we don't need to spend a lot of money on that, but we do need guys in the middle infield, so that's a place to spend money, and we need some guys at the corner outfield spots.

If you use your money wisely, there is a successful combination of cheap and smart which can turn a team into a winner every year.

aj, we have to keep him. i would keep buehrle as well. i dont think we keep dye, nor do i think we should. considering jd drew got 5/75(i believe), i think it will be tough to resign him. plus we have been lucky with dye, he hasnt had an serious injuries with us and hes 32 i believe.

QUOTE(Straycats @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
Saw this on another website

over the next few seasons we could lose many players since we can't sign everyone so if you could only choose 3 players from this list who would you keep..

Buehrle

Dye

Crede

Garland

Iguchi

AJ

Vazquez

Buehrle

Crede

Iguchi

I'd think real hard about AJ.

My decision has so many factors involved, that I don't know if I could make a choice now. I mean, Vazquez pitched well in the second half of the season last year (or so), and if he continues to pitch like that, then hell, he'd be great to have back. I'd also like to get Crede back, but if Josh Fields develops like people suspect he will, it'd be better to let Crede go. AJ is a good player when not swinging for the fences, so if he were to stop that, I'd want him back in a heartbeat.

My choices:

Iguchi. We have no viable option at 2B if he leaves, and he's solid offensively and defensively.

AJ. Again, no options for a catcher. He's not the best player, but he's a fan favorite (in the south side at least) and a sturdy option at catcher.

Crede. While I don't think he'll ever leap into superstardom for an entire year, he's a good offensive player with an excellent glove. I also don't think too highly of Fields.

Edited by Felix

My three choices from that list would be:

Garland - pitching is key, and Garland is young and good.

AJ - catching is thin on the Sox farm and AJ is good enough, and provides some swagger.

Crede - I think he'll stay healthy 9no basis for this opinion, just my gut feeling) and at least stay at the level he's reached already, which is plenty good enough for me.

I don't want the Sox to let any of them leave, but that's not realistic.

For whoever thinks the white sox are so cheap by not handing out big contract extensions is just crazy, this is just how kenny works, just look at the maggs situation-- we let him go after offering a pretty fair contract but he got more money else where, so instead of tying up a huge portion of our payroll in one player (who was injured at the time and no one really knew if he would come back fully) he went out and improved the team thru shrewd acquistions. Kenny will not tie himself into long contracts in which he cannot maneuver the way he wants to, he is to creative in his trades and signings to do that. That said, contracts are still going thru the roofs and Kennys rant on the scouting department was to reinforce that the Sox are looking to build from within more than signing guys to these huge deals. I believe AJ will be signed for one ore two more years unless a catcher really starts to stand out, Iguchi will be signed for 2-3 years, and Garland will be the only starter resigned (due to his age, success, and the need for someone to lead the rotation), and finally i believe Dye will get a three year extension

The problem is with these signings is that a guy like iguchi, who is consistently good but not great, could still get up to around 7 mill (that may be on the upside but is completly possible)

One thing about having all of these high ceiling pitching prospects is taht if they do turn out to be what they can, then the sox can refocus their money on the position players and save on pitching in the future