Government Program

Texsox

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is http://www.mymoney.gov/ something our tax dollars should support?

• Yes, and should be expanded
    • Yes, at this level
    • Yes, but shrink it
    • No way. Waste of tax dollars
    • I got new socks.

Linked here

Do you want to learn how to save, invest, and manage your money better?

MyMoney.gov can help you.

MyMoney.gov is the U.S. government's website dedicated to teaching all Americans the basics about financial education. Whether you are planning to buy a home, balancing your checkbook, or investing in your 401k, the resources on MyMoney.gov can help you do it better. Throughout the site, you will find important information from 20 federal agencies government wide.

As far as government programs go, this one seems pretty low key. A nice clearinghouse for that kind of information. Not sure how many people are aware it exists, though. I have never heard of the U.S. Financial Literacy and Education Commission. Also, not to open up a side discussion here, but I am not sure I like the idea of a spanish link on it. English only would have been just fine.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 07:57 AM)
As far as government programs go, this one seems pretty low key. A nice clearinghouse for that kind of information. Not sure how many people are aware it exists, though. I have never heard of the U.S. Financial Literacy and Education Commission. Also, not to open up a side discussion here, but I am not sure I like the idea of a spanish link on it. English only would have been just fine.

I view the Spanish version the same way I view the braille.

There are literally thousands of these programs.

It would also be a big help if high schools taught such a class. The basis for my considerable knowledge of money matters comes from the "Applied Economics" class I took when I went to high school. It covered a wide range of topics from investments to loans to debt management and a few other things. This was at Bogan High in the Chicago Public Schools system too.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
It would also be a big help if high schools taught such a class. The basis for my considerable knowledge of money matters comes from the "Applied Economics" class I took when I went to high school. It covered a wide range of topics from investments to loans to debt management and a few other things. This was at Bogan High in the Chicago Public Schools system too.

Pet peeve here.... Its not applied economics, its applied finance.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)

I think (at least in IL) there is that type of a class that is required for graduation. At my school it was consumer education, and went through the different types of savings accounts, retirement plans, types of property, how to fill out taxes/W2. It was helpful, but I think if people aren't taught how to handle money from the time they are very young it's kind of hard to learn those skills later in life.

I'm a big fan of the Boy Scout Personal Management Merit Badge, which is required for Eagle Scout rank. Covers all that and more. We have a Senior VP at one of the banks that teaches the class for my Troop. The adults volunteer to monitor,

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
I think (at least in IL) there is that type of a class that is required for graduation. At my school it was consumer education, and went through the different types of savings accounts, retirement plans, types of property, how to fill out taxes/W2. It was helpful, but I think if people aren't taught how to handle money from the time they are very young it's kind of hard to learn those skills later in life.

In that regard I was very fortunate. My dad is an accountant and my grandparents chipped in with a great deal of money know-how also.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
Pet peeve here.... Its not applied economics, its applied finance.

Well where I went to school it was Applied ECONOMICS........

DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!

:D

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
In that regard I was very fortunate. My dad is an accountant and my grandparents chipped in with a great deal of money know-how also.

Well where I went to school it was Applied ECONOMICS........

It was called economics where I went for high school. One of the most pointless classes I ever had to take. I made like $60,000 in a mock stock-market investing exercise, then got lazy, dumped everything into AOL, and spent the rest of the class reading.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
It was called economics where I went for high school. One of the most pointless classes I ever had to take. I made like $60,000 in a mock stock-market investing exercise, then got lazy, dumped everything into AOL, and spent the rest of the class reading.

I ate that stuff up, it was one of the few classes I took in HS that I actually felt was worth my time in my last year there. That class was a major contributor to my knowledge of money and investing and for giving me the motivation to take saving money seriously.