Massett to Jenks??

Jimbo's Drinker

Nick Masset, who was picked up from the Rangers in last month's Brandon McCarthy deal, is likely to make the White Sox as a middle reliever.

"It's going to take a lot to beat Nick Masset," GM Ken Williams said. Masset could receive a chance to act as a setup man if Mike MacDougal gets hurt.

is he that good?

The only guy in our bullpen who doesn't strike me as right now potentially able to hand off from the 8th inning to Jenks is whoever the 2nd lefty winds up being. Aardsma, Masset, MMac, Thor...all of them have the stuff to be very, very good out there. Hopefully, they all step it up this season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
The only guy in our bullpen who doesn't strike me as right now potentially able to hand off from the 8th inning to Jenks is whoever the 2nd lefty winds up being. Aardsma, Masset, MMac, Thor...all of them have the stuff to be very, very good out there. Hopefully, they all step it up this season.

Who would be the long man? If, hopefully not, Floyd or 5th starter of choice gives up 7 runs in the first inning, who will be able to pitch 4 innings in the BMac/Lowe fashion? If Haegar does not win the 5th starter spot, I still think he has a role on the Sox. Masset, Thorton, and Sisco used to start. I'm not sure I'd want any of them risking going 4 innings without proper rest and preparation. Go Haegar! He seems like an underdog with his knuckleball when his GM loves the 98 mph heat.

This season is make or break for our scouts. Most of these trades are based off of guys who don't have the numbers yet but are promised to be studs. If these pan out, I feel extremely confident in the Sox maintaining their position in the Central for some time.

If not, we've got some tough years ahead.

All I know was Billy Koch was supposed to throw 98 as well. KW can project all he wants. I'd rather wait until spring to see what they will bring in 2007. The bullpen could be excellent. It also could be horrendous. Most likely it will fall somewhere in between. Health will play a key factor obviously.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
All I know was Billy Koch was supposed to throw 98 as well. KW can project all he wants. I'd rather wait until spring to see what they will bring in 2007. The bullpen could be excellent. It also could be horrendous. Most likely it will fall somewhere in between. Health will play a key factor obviously.

Koch was such a pile of crap. If dead arm is a true ailment, then he was living proof.

QUOTE(Jeff Liefer @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
Koch was such a pile of crap. If dead arm is a true ailment, then he was living proof.

His first year with the Sox, he lost velocity; the second, he lost command. He was most definitely in the 92-95 range that first year with the Sox, and he just kept getting taken deep, constantly. His second year with the Sox, he regained his velocity, and was back in the 94-97 range, but it was straight as an arrow and uncontrollable. He got traded for Wilson Valdez, and he's pretty much been non-existant since that point.

That's what I recall of Koch anyways.

And pile of crap is so harsh - Koch worked his ass off, and always took blame for his actions. I believe at one point he blew a save and he said he "Billy Koch'd the game" (or something to that extent). Those 97 innings he threw in 2002 with the A's just killed his arm, and took any magic Koch had left with him. I think you can safely say he sucked, but pile of crap? Eh, not to me he wasn't.

koch was also dealing with some sort of medical problems that didnt get diganosed until after his time with us...

"Former Oakland A's pitcher Billy Koch has it. And so do his wife and their three children. And though they can afford top medical care, doctors have no answers.

It started in Oakland four years ago. Koch saved 44 games and was the top reliever in the major leagues. His fastball wowed crowds. And then the strangeness began.

"He freaked out. He wanted to ignore it … I wanted to too. But when it comes to your kids, you gotta stop ignoring it," said Koch's wife Brandi.

She describes their symptoms: "It was the scariest thing I had ever realized in my entire life. There was matter and black specks coming out and off of my skin."

Within two years -- at age 29 -- Billy Koch was out of baseball, partly because of the uncontrollable muscle twitching that went on for months at a time and often kept up him up all night.

The disease is characterized by slow healing skin lesions that often extrude small, dark filaments, especially after bathing."

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
His first year with the Sox, he lost velocity; the second, he lost command. He was most definitely in the 92-95 range that first year with the Sox, and he just kept getting taken deep, constantly. His second year with the Sox, he regained his velocity, and was back in the 94-97 range, but it was straight as an arrow and uncontrollable. He got traded for Wilson Valdez, and he's pretty much been non-existant since that point.

That's what I recall of Koch anyways.

And pile of crap is so harsh - Koch worked his ass off, and always took blame for his actions. I believe at one point he blew a save and he said he "Billy Koch'd the game" (or something to that extent). Those 97 innings he threw in 2002 with the A's just killed his arm, and took any magic Koch had left with him. I think you can safely say he sucked, but pile of crap? Eh, not to me he wasn't.

Ya, Koch stunked with the Sox but there is absolutely no reason anyone should rip him for his character. The performance wasn't there and I have my thoughts as to why it wasn't there, but he worked his butt off his entire career in the majors and always took responsibility for his actions. I will never attack a person's character if they are responsible for there actions and work hard and thats exactly what Billy did. Rip him for production but not his character, imo.

Its one thing if you are Mike Caruso and are completely lazy and high and completely uncomitted (although he was very very talented) and yes Kalapse of all the names I could have chosen, I went with Caruso just for you since I hadn't seen his name come up as of late, lol).

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
koch was also dealing with some sort of medical problems that didnt get diganosed until after his time with us...

"Former Oakland A's pitcher Billy Koch has it. And so do his wife and their three children. And though they can afford top medical care, doctors have no answers.

It started in Oakland four years ago. Koch saved 44 games and was the top reliever in the major leagues. His fastball wowed crowds. And then the strangeness began.

"He freaked out. He wanted to ignore it … I wanted to too. But when it comes to your kids, you gotta stop ignoring it," said Koch's wife Brandi.

She describes their symptoms: "It was the scariest thing I had ever realized in my entire life. There was matter and black specks coming out and off of my skin."

Within two years -- at age 29 -- Billy Koch was out of baseball, partly because of the uncontrollable muscle twitching that went on for months at a time and often kept up him up all night.

The disease is characterized by slow healing skin lesions that often extrude small, dark filaments, especially after bathing."

I remember reading a few things about this and that some people claimed the entire illness is a mental illness. Still it was something that no doubt had an effect on him and his family (I never remember reading a follow-up to see if they were able to get past it).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
Ya, Koch stunked with the Sox but there is absolutely no reason anyone should rip him for his character. The performance wasn't there and I have my thoughts as to why it wasn't there, but he worked his butt off his entire career in the majors and always took responsibility for his actions. I will never attack a person's character if they are responsible for there actions and work hard and thats exactly what Billy did. Rip him for production but not his character, imo.

Its one thing if you are Mike Caruso and are completely lazy and high and completely uncomitted (although he was very very talented) and yes Kalapse of all the names I could have chosen, I went with Caruso just for you since I hadn't seen his name come up as of late, lol).

Hey, it's a good example. It's not like I can deny any of it. Besides I'm starting to think mentioning his name every once in a while even in an unflattering light could be a good thing. This way 30 years from now the youngin's will know the name and greatest that was Mikey Car.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
I remember reading a few things about this and that some people claimed the entire illness is a mental illness. Still it was something that no doubt had an effect on him and his family (I never remember reading a follow-up to see if they were able to get past it).

Wow that is the oddest thing I have ever heard of - and here I was just thinking he sucked, and being so glad after he was dumped off to Florida. Apparently it's called Morgellon's Disease, which is being investigated by the CDC (per Wikipedia)? Poor guy, he's either sick or really mentally messed up.

Boo the results, but it was impossible to boo the man or the effort. Koch has more character than we are use to seeing in an athlete. I really disliked seeing his career crater like that. Far more satisfying to have seen a 'roid player crater like that.

This year's bullpen is a huge concern for me. I really REALLY want to like where it's headed, especially as hyped as it is by Soxtalk, but I'm seriously worried. It's got great upside but so many things need to fall perfectly into place. It's too easy to see where things can go wrong: Mac being himself (injured), the league figuring out they can sit on Thornton's fastball with little-to-no movement, Aardsma struggling in his move to the AL, the inexperience of Massett, Haeger, whoever makes the cut, Sisco or Boone continuing the trend of producing some of the worst pitched innings in MLB in 2006... It's not that I'm a pessimist; I see the rotation dominating and the lineup continuing what they did last year, I just worry that the bullpen is going to kill this team.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
Boo the results, but it was impossible to boo the man or the effort. Koch has more character than we are use to seeing in an athlete. I really disliked seeing his career crater like that. Far more satisfying to have seen a 'roid player crater like that.

Ummm....I don't even know what to say to this one, but I'd read that last sentence awfully carefully and think about it. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
Ummm....I don't even know what to say to this one, but I'd read that last sentence awfully carefully and think about it. :ph34r:

:huh :huh: :huh: :o Nooooooooooooooooooo! Say it ain't so Billllllllllllllly

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)

While he was in the league steriods was the rumor about him. The depression and mental illness can be a symptoms of someone during their off cycle. The steroids change the chemistry of being hyped up and the crash that happens to some people can really effect them. This has been blmed in some suicide attemtps and unfortunate successes.

I don't know any of this for a fact just throwing it out there as it was the rumors because of similar behaviours.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
Koch=roids

I cant believe its being taken the other way. Surprise loss of velocity, almost 10 mph? come on. The guy was a text book roider IMO

actually most pitchers who have taken steriods say it doesn't necessarily increase velocity but it increases your endurance to hold the velocity over a game or to recover more quickly before the next game. This has a lot to do with the fact that strength is not directly correlated to pitch speed. People use the term arm strength and equate pitch speed. however this is not always true.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
actually most pitchers who have taken steriods say it doesn't necessarily increase velocity but it increases your endurance to hold the velocity over a game or to recover more quickly before the next game. This has a lot to do with the fact that strength is not directly correlated to pitch speed. People use the term arm strength and equate pitch speed. however this is not always true.

I tend to agree with it. I tihnk from a relievers perspective (based on what I've read and heard via quotes in the media) is that it enables you to recover quicker and be able to throw in more games with your A stuff. That said I could see roids being able to help a bit with velocity but I don't know how much so (I think it would depend on the pitcher).

For example....say Jamie Moyer decided to juice....I can't see roids giving him another 5 MPH on his fastball. Now say someone thats 6'5, 170 that throws 92-94 (maybe even hits 95 on rare ocassions) well I could see roids and a proper workout regime upping his velocity to where he consistently throws 94 and ocassionally hits 96.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
I tend to agree with it. I tihnk from a relievers perspective (based on what I've read and heard via quotes in the media) is that it enables you to recover quicker and be able to throw in more games with your A stuff. That said I could see roids being able to help a bit with velocity but I don't know how much so (I think it would depend on the pitcher).

For example....say Jamie Moyer decided to juice....I can't see roids giving him another 5 MPH on his fastball. Now say someone thats 6'5, 170 that throws 92-94 (maybe even hits 95 on rare ocassions) well I could see roids and a proper workout regime upping his velocity to where he consistently throws 94 and ocassionally hits 96.

It's possible to add the speed. Remember velocity implies a direction which many of them don't have :D

However many times the speed increase has more to do with mass more than strength. If your 170 lbs pitcher became a 190 lbs pitcher the ball may go faster just due to the mass propelling it. Bigger guys on average throw harder than little guys. There are always exceptions (Wagner). There are other factors as well, including length of lever arms and such. If the muscles are stronger and better conditioned it's more likely the endurance is increased and the rate of injury is decreased.

Edited by ptatc