Texsox

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be upgrading to Vista?

• Yes, right away, I'm a crash test dummy
    • Yes, in a while after things calm down
    • Maybe later
    • No
    • On my next machine
    • Want to hear about my Mac and how superior it is to any windoze based system. Jobs is King. PCs are ugly and stupid.

I'm perfectly happy with XP and don't plan on upgrading until I buy a new PC (which hopefully won't be for a while since my current PC works perfectly fine and I still got a year and a half till I get a new company laptop).

That said I wish I had Windows XP Media Center just because it would make things easier when I stream stuff to my 360. But I'll just live without it.

XP is a great operating system when compared to the crap that was 98, 95, & ME. Windows 2000 professional was pretty nice though.

I'm sitting here looking at a new Dell e1705 that is juts begging to be upgraded. I will be the crash test dummy. I have a couple of programs that Microsoft flagged as potentially a problem, one if my Norton Antivirus which has me slightly concerned, the other is a program I don't usually use.

I like some of the user interface enhancements I've seen.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
I'm working on a 3.5 year old laptop, and I'm due for an upgrade if I can ever afford it, so that'll presumably be a Vista machine if I ever get that far.

The one I just replaced was at least that old, maybe a little older. I just hit a spot where the hard drive was full (all 30 gig :D ) the touch pad was barely usable, the battery was shot, etc. I am thinking of other uses for it. I have to run a little closed broadcast radio station this summer and am researching ways to make it the brains of the operation.

I wouldnt be first on the block to get this. I would wait until the first service pack is out for it. That is usually the gage we use to put it into production. The next thing is to verify that your apps will work with it. And make sure your PC can handle it.

The new security features look promising, however I will wait until its out in the world in production when the malware people get their hands on it. The religious OS wars will be pretty snippy this time between Apple and Microsoft.

I used an illegal copy for about a month until they discovered me. It took some time to learn all the new "features", but I liked it a lot. It looked a lot better than XP, it was more organized, easier to use, and the search tool was amazing. I upgraded without any problem, but going back to XP was a pain. I had to delete my HD and start fresh.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
I wouldnt be first on the block to get this. I would wait until the first service pack is out for it. That is usually the gage we use to put it into production. The next thing is to verify that your apps will work with it. And make sure your PC can handle it.

The new security features look promising, however I will wait until its out in the world in production when the malware people get their hands on it. The religious OS wars will be pretty snippy this time between Apple and Microsoft.

Jesus, the first few SP's will correct numerous security weakness and glitches. Anyone who is serious about their PC is better off waiting for it to be corrected down the line. I cant even imagine the hacker's who are just drooling for a crack at the new OS.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Jesus, the first few SP's will correct numerous security weakness and glitches. Anyone who is serious about their PC is better off waiting for it to be corrected down the line. I cant even imagine the hacker's who are just drooling for a crack at the new OS.

The hacker thing is interesting. How would it be different that loooking for something in all the other versions of Windows? It would more than likely effect the entire Windows family. Or do you think they would want to find something that attacks Vista and not all the others?

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
We're not all cyber dorks like you.

:D

I forgot that not many people here spend time on computers hooked up to the internet. :D

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)
So if you were thinking of buying a laptop now, would you go ahead and do it and get one with Vista? Or would you wait for a bit? Or buy one with XP? (you can still do that, can't you?)

Well if I wasn't going to wait I would definitely pick one up with Vista (no reason not to). Preferably I think it would be best to wait a short time but even if you didn't I'd go Vista.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
So if you were thinking of buying a laptop now, would you go ahead and do it and get one with Vista? Or would you wait for a bit? Or buy one with XP? (you can still do that, can't you?)

When I ordered mine they offered me the exact same one with xp for a little cheaper. I figured Id wait. It seemed kind of like buying a ps2 the day before a ps3 comes out.

My computer at work is about a 5 year old Micron. I've started the campaign for a new laptop so I can take my work home with me. Funny, I'm our main AutoCAD technician and I am begging to get a new computer, but the company doesn't want to budge. I have 20GB on it, and less than 1GB free. You would think they might want to let me upgrade. Nope. Cheap, cheap, cheap company I work for. But I digress, I am sure the next machine I get, if ever, will have Vista. Hell, in all reality it will actually have whatever is on machines in about 20 years.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
The hacker thing is interesting. How would it be different that loooking for something in all the other versions of Windows? It would more than likely effect the entire Windows family. Or do you think they would want to find something that attacks Vista and not all the others?

Well, the joy of a new version of a Windows program is that it's fresh meat...it's something totally new that you can attack in a new way, and knowing microsoft, that means it has a whole new selection of flaws that snuck in and haven't yet been found. With a version that's been around there for a few months/years, then the hackers have spent all their time and effort finding all the flaws, so most of them have probably been corrected. The ol natural selection I'd say....introduce a new species into an area, and those that are weakest get weeded out rapidly by Godless Killing Machines.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
Buying a new OS is like buying the first year of a new car model, you just never do it. You wait and let the bugs get worked out, then you move in when the problems are all fixed.

The flip side to that is now many companies will introduce an item with the best materials and construction techniques and then gradually "take cost out" until the public complains then builds a new and improved model. With improved design tools and production techniques I'm just not as worried about buying the first year's model. I believe this was truer when designs were more fly by the seat of your pants, hand drawing, and guessing if it will work.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 06:54 PM)

Microsoft is paying a lot of the puppet security research facilities funded by Microsoft to proclaim the security better than anything out on the market, which is a load of crap. These are the same moronic research facilities that state that large Unix systems are not as powerful or reliable than a Windows box The gaunlet has been thrown down. There will be a mix of malware and attacks, some that affect all of the Windows family due to compatibility issues and ones that are Vista specific.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
The flip side to that is now many companies will introduce an item with the best materials and construction techniques and then gradually "take cost out" until the public complains then builds a new and improved model. With improved design tools and production techniques I'm just not as worried about buying the first year's model. I believe this was truer when designs were more fly by the seat of your pants, hand drawing, and guessing if it will work.

I wouldnt compare a physical item like a car with software. With a car you can manually test alot of the features. Software constantly has to be patched or fixed, and its an assumed natural evil of the world.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
Microsoft is paying a lot of the puppet security research facilities funded by Microsoft to proclaim the security better than anything out on the market, which is a load of crap. These are the same moronic research facilities that state that large Unix systems are not as powerful or reliable than a Windows box The gaunlet has been thrown down. There will be a mix of malware and attacks, some that affect all of the Windows family due to compatibility issues and ones that are Vista specific.

Unix is awesome BTW. I sell and work with software and I know how bad the initial releases can be, especially with a new product. There will be at least 2 hotfixes in the next month or two, maybe more. Then a service pack etc etc. Im sure that alot of people have already written some good code to drop in a Vista system to test it out.