Phone Call Etiquette

HuskyCaucasian

This is part question, part needing to vent.

Ok, so last night my wife went to bed around 9:30 and I stayed up and was watching TV. Around 10:30 PM, my sister-in-law calls to tell us she is pregnant. now keep in mind thi sisnt her first child. It's her second. Also, I have a very sick grandfather, so any calls late at night is a little scary. It could be "the call".

Who the hell calls at 10:30 at night to tell you they are pregnant? Isnt that more of a 6-9 PM call? To me, 10:30 PM is reserved for emergancys like a death in the family.

Thoughts?

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)

Ok, so last night my wife went to bed around 9:30 and I stayed up and was watching TV. Around 10:30 PM, my sister-in-law calls to tell us she is pregnant. now keep in mind thi sisnt her first child. It's her second. Also, I have a very sick grandfather, so any calls late at night is a little scary. It could be "the call".

Who the hell calls at 10:30 at night to tell you they are pregnant? Isnt that more of a 6-9 PM call? To me, 10:30 PM is reserved for emergancys like a death in the family.

Thoughts?

Given the situation I can understand the call considering she's probably really excited and wants to tell someone (2nd kid or not she's still going to be really excited, assuming they want to have another kid).

That said if its my friends they all know they can call at all hours (as long as they don't decide to call me at 7AM on a Saturday or Sunday). I prefer to go with phone etiquette of...too early to call...because I get far more upset when someone wakes me up with a phone call early in the morning as opposed to late at night (unless they call at 2 AM to ask a really stupid question).

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 08:39 PM)

Thoughts?

If your normal bedtime is 9:30 and people are aware of that then i would say it's rude to call.(Though with the excitement of the news...it could be forgiven). If 10:30 is too late or not depends on you and your schedule. If you got kids, you probably don't want calls that late but if you are single/married (no kids) then 1030 isn't really that late.

Immediate family gets a pass, I'd say, considering the news and the fact that it wasn't too too late, although I think how early one works should be a bit of a factor. My dad has started his work from 2-3 am for many, many years so any calls after 9 have always been very much frowned upon at our house. How close the sisters are should probably be a factor too..

I think it also makes a difference if you're calling on a land-line phone (which is likely to wake other people in the house up) versus a cell phone. I really don't care when people call my cell phone, but if they wake everyone else in the house up, then that's grounds to be pissed.

QUOTE(BMac Attack @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
I think it also makes a difference if you're calling on a land-line phone (which is likely to wake other people in the house up) versus a cell phone. I really don't care when people call my cell phone, but if they wake everyone else in the house up, then that's grounds to be pissed.

Agreed

You must not be a second child :D

I don't see a problem, plus you said you were awake, so what's the deal? Did your wife have a problem with the lateness of the call or did she stay awake another hour whispering and giggling with her sister?

QUOTE(BMac Attack @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)

I can agree with that.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
10PM is the latest I will call people. My sister will call REAL late sometimes, but immediate family gets a pass no matter the time.

Everybody else, 10PM.

I gotta agree with this. After 10 and I am fearing something is wrong. My dad and my husband both work nights so I get worked up if the phone rings after 10. It's an unwritten rule in our family that you don't call after 10 (or before 7) unless it is an emergency or you are traveling.

QUOTE(BMac Attack @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)

I'm with you on this one. Cell phone I could care less about, people could call all hour of the night. It's easy for me to shut off of quiet it. I hate the land line. My house has 2 cordless phones laying around that are loud as hell, it's a complete rukus when the land line rings.

But, in my house, people stay up kind of late. So a 10:30 phone call, even for something not very exciting, would be OK. It kind of depends on the everyones schedule

Edited by SoxFan562004