Helping the World

Texsox

Dear ONE Member,

Yesterday, the House of Representatives voted not only to protect the $1 billion that was in jeopardy, but went even one step further and allocated an additional $450 million to fighting global poverty in 2007. This is the largest amount ever committed by the United States to fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria, three of the world's most devastating diseases.

This is the first step in an almost unbelievable turn of events that wouldn't have been possible without you. Literally hundreds of thousands of lives will be saved because of ONE members' advocacy. You sent over 200,000 letters in January alone - and 142 members of Congress signed on to the Durbin-Brownback and Lee-Shays "Dear Colleague" letters. Here is what Congresswoman Barbara Lee and Congressman Christopher Shays had to say about your efforts:

I want to than
k
the ONE Campaign and all of it
s
s
for adding their energy and their voice
s
to the global
s
truggle again
s
t HIV/AID
S
and extreme poverty. The letter
s
and call
s
made by ONE campaign member
s
epitomize the power of what i
s
po
s
s
ible when one per
s
on ta
k
e
s
a
s
tand for what i
s
right. Each of you ha
s
s
tood up to be counted becau
s
e you
k
now that
s
topping the
s
pread of the global HIV/AID
S
pandemic i
s
po
s
s
ible, and that together we can turn that po
s
s
ibility into a reality. -
Repre
s
entative Barbara Lee (Democrat, CA-9)

Although there have been remar
k
able achievement
s
in combating HIV/AID
S
in Africa and around the world, the truth i
s
we've not yet been able to
k
eep pace with it
s
s
pread. I am grateful for the a
s
s
i
s
tance of the ONE Campaign in
s
upport of the Lee-
S
hay
s
letter reque
s
ting additional funding for program
s
to combat HIV/AID
S
, tuberculo
s
i
s
, and malaria. 92 member
s
of congre
s
s
s
igned the letter and we couldn't have done it without the ONE Campaign.
-
Repre
s
entative Chri
s
topher
S
hay
s
(Republican, CT-4)

Thank your member of Congress for co-signing the Lee-Shays letter.

You sent a clear message to Congress about how critical this funding was to you and your representative listened. Now we need to send them your thanks for stepping up their efforts against global poverty. We want our allies in this battle to remember your support as they begin the 2008 budget process and decide future funding for the fight against extreme poverty.

We are building a movement, and this victory is just more evidence of what's possible. We fought off what would have been a devastating billion dollar blow and improved our lot in the process. And we did all of it while Congress was making some very tough choices. Working together in the years to come, we'll have the opportunity to redefine what's possible again and again.

Congratulations on your part in this. The battle isn't over yet as the resolution still has to clear the Senate, but this is a huge first step and the members of the House who represented us deserve our enormous thanks for making it happen.

Send a thank you to your representative for fighting global poverty.

Thank you for your voice,

Josh Peck, ONE.org