Baseball America

winninguglyin83

Picked up the Baseball America Prospect Handbook today.

They have the Sox top 30 -- although the Texas guys are not included because the trade came after the list was finalized.

Overall, they're not high on our prospects. Sox are ranked 26th overall, ahead of only Oakland, Texas, San Diego and Washington.

Here is the top 30.

1. Ryan Sweeney

2. Josh Fields

3. Gio Gonzalez

4. Lance Broadway

5. Kyle McCulloch

6.Charlie Haegar

7. Aaron Cunningham

8. Adam Russell

9. Lucas Harrell

10. Matt Long

11. Chris Carter

12. Heath Phillips

13. Jerry Owens

14. Ray Liotta

15. Oneli Perez

16. Jack Egbert

17. Justin Edwards

18. Boone Logan

19. Robert Valido

20. Pedro Lopez

21. John Shelby

22. Dewon Day

23. Chris Stewart

24. Anderson Gomes

25. Francisco Hernandez

26.Sean Tracey

27. Brian Omogrosso

28. Paulo Orlando

29. Wes Whisler

30. Ricardo Nanita.

I'm surprised Tracey is on the list at all.

He has little if any potential in my opinion.

Terrible command, bizarre mechanics and the manager doesn't like him.

doesn't sound like much of a future to me.

I AM surprised Rogowski got NOTHING.

I realize the guy doesn't have enough power to play first base every day in the big leagues, but he's a decent fielder who can also run.

The sox will eventually have to turn him loose and he'll get to the big leagues somewhere.

Also thought Chris Getz would make the list.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
Terrible command, bizarre mechanics and the manager doesn't like him.

doesn't sound like much of a future to me.

Respectable stuff and a funny arm angle because of the mechanics. I see no reason why he can't be a middle reliever.

And the MLB manager not liking him isn't even close to justification as to why he'd be this low on the prospect list. Get f'ing real, Ozzie Guillen not liking him isn't going to affect how he pitches if he ends up in Baltimore. All it means is that he has no future with this organization, unless Guillen were somehow fired.

BA always has some major question marks towards the bottom of the top 30. Whisler at 29? Long at 10? I'd be far happier if they switched, that's how bad those two placements are IMO. Among the other decisions as well. It's just not reasonable for BA to have good lists of 30 per team.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 3, 2007 -> 03:54 AM)
Eggy is still my guy to watch.

I CALLED HIM FIRST DBAH0!!!!

:P

Uhhhh no you didn't. :P

And I take issue with Wes Whisler being down at #29. Matt Long gets into the top 10, and Whisler is down at 29, don't understand the logic behind that at all.

Rogers backed up some rumblings that I had heard about Long potentially moving into the rotation. It would be interesting if it happens since IIRC Long was primarily thought of as a future closer type guy.

Still I like the idea of getting him into a rotation and letting him go 5-6 innings a night (not too concerned with him going deep into games) because it will force him to better develop his secondary pitches and in the long run make him a more dangerous reliever.

Still I'm stunned to see Long ahead of Omogrosso on the list. That said Long has a really good arm (assuming he refinds the velocity he lost when he joined the Sox and I think it was flat out because he was gassed from a full collegiate season after recovering from Tommy John).

The top 30 list is different than mine but those lists become a crapshoot. Still there are some guys that I can't see being ranked as low as they are.

Yeah, these publications will dump a cold 2nd tier guy and jump all over a hot 2nd tier guy quickly. I guess the idea is that the 2nd tier guys are all about the same, which I agree with to an extent, but it bothers me when guys that have produced at high levels got thrown off lists for guys who have struggled in A ball or lower.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Respectable stuff and a funny arm angle because of the mechanics. I see no reason why he can't be a middle reliever.

And the MLB manager not liking him isn't even close to justification as to why he'd be this low on the prospect list. Get f'ing real, Ozzie Guillen not liking him isn't going to affect how he pitches if he ends up in Baltimore. All it means is that he has no future with this organization, unless Guillen were somehow fired.

I can say with 100 pct certainty that one of the reasons he's so low on the list is because they know what his status is within the organization.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
I can say with 100 pct certainty that one of the reasons he's so low on the list is because they know what his status is within the organization.

That's undeniable. However, that doesn't change any potential future he has in baseball; just his future with the White Sox. There probably aren't 29 other teams who would give him a shot, but I'd venture to bet that there are a few who would take a flyer on him just to see what he has to offer at the MLB level.