Soxtalk can get you fired!

shipps

After repeated times that I have got in trouble at work for being on Soxtalk,it occurred to me.How many others are on Soxtalk in a disobedient manner?Wether it be at school,work,meetings,babysitting,or any other inappropriate time.Who are the soxtalk hooligans?!!!

If a company is looking for a way to get rid of you, breaking of internet usage rules is an easy way for them to do it. If you're valuable, they tend to look the other way.

At my last job, I was always on line even though we all signed agreements stating we would only use the internet for work related purposes.

At my current job I've been very good. No personal e-mails, no internet, totally clean history.

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
After repeated times that I have got in trouble at work for being on Soxtalk,it occurred to me.How many others are on Soxtalk in a disobedient manner?Wether it be at school,work,meetings,babysitting,or any other inappropriate time.Who are the soxtalk hooligans?!!!

I have no problems, but then again I am the one operating the big brother equipment. This is kind of a wierd ethical subject, that has been played out on this board before. My view is this, I would rather put in blocks at a company that stop unauthorized access than worry about policing the people. However at my company its a mix of both. We work on the least privilege principle that means that we block it and make everyone go through a content proxy. Now on the other hand I have other items looking for certain words and phrases on our network and email traffic for corporate espinonage. I am more worried about our trade secrets going out, than worrying about the fact that you are looking at soxtalk. The only person that should be policing you on that is your manager. However in todays day, HR uses internet policing as a lock step path to fire someone without getting into a legal debate afterwards. Security professionals hate being the HR strong arm. It takes way too much of my time to prepare internet usage reports, perform forensics on a machine and deal with court dates. I would rather be looking for corporate spooks and hackers.

For saftey at work, just assume that you are being watched at all times and everything you do is being filtered, categorized, and watched. At some companies, the security people are so sick of dealing with this subject, they have panned the administration of the web filters to HR. Now talk about dangerous.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
I have no problems, but then again I am the one operating the big brother equipment. This is kind of a wierd ethical subject, that has been played out on this board before. My view is this, I would rather put in blocks at a company that stop unauthorized access than worry about policing the people. However at my company its a mix of both. We work on the least privilege principle that means that we block it and make everyone go through a content proxy. Now on the other hand I have other items looking for certain words and phrases on our network and email traffic for corporate espinonage. I am more worried about our trade secrets going out, than worrying about the fact that you are looking at soxtalk. The only person that should be policing you on that is your manager. However in todays day, HR uses internet policing as a lock step path to fire someone without getting into a legal debate afterwards. Security professionals hate being the HR strong arm. It takes way too much of my time to prepare internet usage reports, perform forensics on a machine and deal with court dates. I would rather be looking for corporate spooks and hackers.

This is were I have gotten in trouble,manager walking in on me when Iam supposed to be working on ins policies and she sees Rockraines avatar and it looked pretty bad.

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 02:57 PM)
This is were I have gotten in trouble,manager walking in on me when Iam supposed to be working on ins policies and she sees Rockraines avatar and it looked pretty bad.

You have to balance your individual work environment. My boss doesnt care, as long as things I am responsible get done. If I spend some time on soxtalk trust me when I get called at 2 in the morning next week and am up all night it, the time makes itself up. But then again that is my boss now. I have had bosses before that were paranoid on what we did, and I kept it strictly business at work.

Your job is more important than what is on here. As great of a site as it is, it doesnt pay for your bills. So if you are worried about your situation, I would cut it out and catch up at night or on your lunch break.