Best Commercial

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Balance @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
Racist? Why do you think so?

You're joking?

Don't get me wrong, I thought the ad was humorous. But the entire ad is a set of racial stereotypes, including the "No Speak English!" response when 'somebody asks you for a Bud Light.'

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
You're joking?

Don't get me wrong, I thought the ad was humorous. But the entire ad is a set of racial stereotypes, including the "No Speak English!" response when 'somebody asks you for a Bud Light.'

I think that it's important to watch these things in the spirit in which they were intended. And I'm pretty sure that there wasn't any negative intent in the ad.

I guess reasonable people can differ on their interpretations.

QUOTE(Balance @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
I think that it's important to watch these things in the spirit in which they were intended. And I'm pretty sure that there wasn't any negative intent in the ad.

I guess reasonable people can differ on their interpretations.

That they can. And Steff only alluded to it being slightly racist. The first rule of humor though is it's only funny if somebody is injured, maligned, tricked, or ridiculed, so in all of the adds somebody has to take either a figurative or literal pratfall. In this instance it was the various minority races caricaturized, and it's only funny because of our preconceived stereotypes.

Again, I thought the ad was funny and I don't think it's going to cause any race riots. But if Mencia is the star of the ad you know the vehicle is going to be racial stereotype humor. That's his thing and he's pretty much a one-trick pony.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 05:33 PM)
That they can. And Steff only alluded to it being slightly racist. The first rule of humor though is it's only funny if somebody is injured, maligned, tricked, or ridiculed, so in all of the adds somebody has to take either a figurative or literal pratfall. In this instance it was the various minority races caricaturized, and it's only funny because of our preconceived stereotypes.

Again, I thought the ad was funny and I don't think it's going to cause any race riots. But if Mencia is the star of the ad you know the vehicle is going to be racial stereotype humor. That's his thing and he's pretty much a one-trick pony.

Spot on. Don't get me wrong, I laughed my ass off, with my Mexican bro-in-law and son-in-laws AA neighbor, and as soon as I caught my breath said "wow, that was a bit close to the line..." when they were done laughing they agreed.

Is that reasonable enough?

Is the full moon gone yet? Good grief...

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
Especially when they're laying people off like they are.

Now the world knows how Flint and Toledo feel.

I dislike Michael Moore but he was dead-on in "Roger & Me".

Damn automakers...

Cars are by far priced higher by percentage per the average income than any other item outside of houses.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
Now the world knows how Flint and Toledo feel.

I dislike Michael Moore but he was dead-on in "Roger & Me".

Damn automakers...

Cars are by far priced higher by percentage per the average income than any other item outside of houses.

They are also by far the most labor intensive and expensive to build. It only goes to reason that they would be the most expensive.