BEARS in THE SUPERBOWL!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 04:24 AM)
No problem.

The rest of the league will be relieved to see him return next season as well.

I must say the Colts had a pretty good game plan - because that vaunted defense was pretty much picked apart.

I am still not sure what to think of Rexy... time will tell, I guess.

s***ty game. The Bears got outplayed on every facet of the game (except ST). You give Manning all the time in the world he's gonna rip you apart. Why we didn't blitz more I don't know. And how could you forget the f*** up by Chris Harris.

f*** Rex. He played like s***. He calls the media "ignorant" for all the criticism he gets and then he lays an egg. Well prepare to get criticized from now until next September. What gets me is the two botched snaps, that s*** has happened all year.

I believe this was Ron Rivera's last game with the Bears. I think he will go to Dallas in some way, probably the head coach.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
I am still not sure what to think of Rexy... time will tell, I guess.

As one of the Sex Cannon's biggest fans and supporters I'm frankly done backing him. He wasn't the only reason the Bears got embarrassed today but his play was definitely a major reason for the collapse. The guy is short, slow, panics in the pocket and can't avoid the rush, he has a cannon, swagger and the confidence/respect of his teammates but I'm not sure the positives can ever outweigh the negatives with Rex. I'm prepared for another 30 or so year search for a QB.

Hopefully Benson, a top flight special teams and a revamped defense can carry the team next year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
As one of the Sex Cannon's biggest fans and supporters I'm frankly done backing him. He wasn't the only reason the Bears got embarrassed today but his play was definitely a major reason for the collapse. The guy is short, slow, panics in the pocket and can't avoid the rush, he has a cannon, swagger and the confidence/respect of his teammates but I'm not sure the positives can ever outweigh the negatives with Rex. I'm prepared for another 30 or so year search for a QB.

Hopefully Benson, a top flight special teams and a revamped defense can carry the team next year.

Rex is holding this team back. Hell, maybe we need to take a look at a guy like David Carr. Drafting a QB in the first round won't help, because he won't be good for 2-3 yrs and windows are short in the NFL.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
A standard 4-3 defense similar to that of the Eagles with hardcore blitz packages and man to man coverage on the outside, you can't run the cover 2 when your safeties are terrible in coverage. Rivera learned quite a bit under Jim Johnson when he was on the Eagles coaching staff and I really think he could make this defense unstoppable.

I don't know what Urlacher likes but an Eagles style D would really emphasize his many talents.

Good answer. :)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:46 PM)
I said it last week that the Bears should listen LONG AND HARD to Dallas and what they have to offer for Lovie.

Oh, and I'm not really sure you can go into next season with Rex as the clear #1. One game shouldn't decide his fate, but you just CAN'T trust him.

There's no way he should be the clear cut #1 next year, his turnovers are unacceptable.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
The Bears as a team disgraced the city of Chicago today.

If Jerry Jones is really interested, I'd love to have a couple 1st round draft picks. I'm just so f***ing sick of watching the cover 2, it seems the only person employed by the Bears that even wants to run the cover 2 is Lovie Smith and maybe Angelo I really don't know. Rivera doesn't care for the defense, all of the players not on the D-Line have spoke out on how they dislike it and one of the greatest players in Bears history, Brian Urlacher hates it because it takes away most all of his playmaking capabilities.

I don't see why Lovie Smith deserves a contract extension at this point, I'm sure they'll lock him up in the coming weeks but if Jones does come a'knockin' Ted Phillips should grant him permission to talk. 2 first rounders is the asking price, that's what it cost the Bucs for Gruden and he didn't have Lovie's track record of success.

pffffffff

Hilarious. He takes the team to the superbowl, has an absolutley GREAT record, is the coach of the year in 2005, and he is horrid? Take off your crazy mask. They lost ONE game, get over it. They lost the superbowl, with a coach like Lovie and this team, they could be back soon.

I will say Carr would be a great addition to the Bears. In their style of offense, you don't need a great QB to win; you just need a QB who can manage the game and not lose the game itself. Grossman has done that on many occasions this year (including the Arizona game, even though they won), but I don't think Carr would. And, if what I recall hearing is correct, they just want like a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. That should be a no-brainer for Chicago.

Plummer will be available too, but he can take the form of Grossman on occasion too where he'll flat out lose a game for his team.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 04:44 AM)
Rex is holding this team back. Hell, maybe we need to take a look at a guy like David Carr. Drafting a QB in the first round won't help, because he won't be good for 2-3 yrs and windows are short in the NFL.

David Carr? GMAB. He's not the answer.

Draft? Certainly not in the first round... Troy Smith in the second-third?

Trade? I know that Jacksonville has Gerrard, but why have they been so quick to give up on Leftwich, a guy that they used a (4th?) top pick on? Anyone with comments on this? I know he has a cannon, but his lack of mobility could hurt us, especially in an offense where our coordinator refuses to use the shotgun, even in obvious passing situations.

----------------------------------------------------

I know it sucks for us right now, but turn on 670 and listen to Buffone and Obradovich. They're without a doubt my favorite guys on the radio, and despite their age, they actually know their stuff. Plus, you can tell that they live and die with this team just like all the rest of us.

Oh, and on a positive note, Devin Hester's TD return was the greatest moment in my lifetime as a Bears fan. What an awesome start to the game, it was unreal. It has taken the spot of the Mike Brown TD return in 2001 against San Fran along with (on a funnier note) the Keith Traylor ~60 yard interception run down the sidelines in 2001.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
A standard 4-3 defense similar to that of the Eagles with hardcore blitz packages and man to man coverage on the outside, you can't run the cover 2 when your safeties are terrible in coverage. Rivera learned quite a bit under Jim Johnson when he was on the Eagles coaching staff and I really think he could make this defense unstoppable.

I don't know what Urlacher likes but an Eagles style D would really emphasize his many talents.

The cover 2 is basically perfect for a great coverage MLB like Urlacher. You had one rookie and one 2nd year player, of course they will make mistakes, but they werent the ones who couldnt get any pressure on Manning. Save for one play, the db's played about as good as can be expected against 2 Pro Bowl WR's and one hell of a TE.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
I will say Carr would be a great addition to the Bears.

yeah, who wouldnt want 11 Td's and 12 INT?

The Bears get to the superbowl, something that hasnt happened in over 20 years, and they lose the game to a clearly superior opponent, and all of a sudden we need to make drastic changes, fire the coach, dump the QB, bring in a whole new defensive scheme.

Do you know how many other teams were just watching the game today. The Bears were a great team this year, one of the best in the league. Im really happy with that. Another chance, maybe a SB win. Im sure we will be back, and I know with this staff and this roster, we will contend.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
yeah, who wouldnt want 11 Td's and 12 INT?

Who wouldn't want a guy with a QB rating of 82.1 and a completion percentage of 68.3%? It's sure as hell better than Grossman's 72.3 and 54.6 respectively.

And those 12 INTs, BTW, are a hell of a lot better looking than Grossman's 20.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
David Carr? GMAB. He's not the answer.

Draft? Certainly not in the first round... Troy Smith in the second-third?

Trade? I know that Jacksonville has Gerrard, but why have they been so quick to give up on Leftwich, a guy that they used a (4th?) top pick on? Anyone with comments on this? I know he has a cannon, but his lack of mobility could hurt us, especially in an offense where our coordinator refuses to use the shotgun, even in obvious passing situations.

----------------------------------------------------

I know it sucks for us right now, but turn on 670 and listen to Buffone and Obradovich. They're without a doubt my favorite guys on the radio, and despite their age, they actually know their stuff. Plus, you can tell that they live and die with this team just like all the rest of us.

Oh, and on a positive note, Devin Hester's TD return was the greatest moment in my lifetime as a Bears fan. What an awesome start to the game, it was unreal. It has taken the spot of the Mike Brown TD return in 2001 against San Fran along with (on a funnier note) the Keith Traylor ~60 yard interception run down the sidelines in 2001.

I'm listening to Doug and OB right now, makes me feel a little better.

Don't get the criticism of Carr, as Rex turned it over twice as much as he did with a much better supporting cast. Leftwich wouldn't be a bad option either, he might actually be my first choice.

The Bears never go with the shotgun. Not with Turner, not with Shea, not with Shoop. I have no idea why, especially since it would benefit Rex with his size.

I hope we can keep Briggs. He says all the right things now but remember he is a Rosenhaus guy.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
Who wouldn't want a guy with a QB rating of 82.1 and a completion percentage of 68.3%? It's sure as hell better than Grossman's 72.3 and 54.6 respectively.

And those 12 INTs, BTW, are a hell of a lot better looking than Grossman's 20.

Carr's first full season playing in the league: 62.8 QB rating 9 TD 15 INT

Grossman: 73.9 23TD 20INT

Nah, Ill take Rex

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
Carr's first full season playing in the league: 62.8 QB rating 9 TD 15 INT

Grossman: 73.9 23TD 20INT

Nah, Ill take Rex

It's a little different when your first full year is with an expansion team your rookie year vs. your fourth year in the league.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)
WRONG. Sorry, but Manning and the Colts D did not beat the Bears. The Bears today truly did beat themselves. (Thats not taking anything away from the Colts. I'm really not trying to do that at all) I just don't believe the Colts were clearly better.

The game was clearly lopsided. The offense couldnt move the ball, the defense couldnt stop their offense. Our defensive line couldnt get to manning, and our offensive line couldnt keep the pocket. Our special teams even coughed up a fumble to hurt us. I would say the Colts pretty much took it to us save the 1st quarter.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
It's a little different when your first full year is with an expansion team your rookie year vs. your fourth year in the league.

Ok so what is a good comparison? It was Rex's first full season. He got this team to the superbowl, he won 15 games. How many people even remember how pathetic this team was a few years ago? How exciting is it to finally have your team in the big one, and actually be interested in the outcome? This staff and this roster will contend for the NFC title for the next several years. I love it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)
The game was clearly lopsided. The offense couldnt move the ball, the defense couldnt stop their offense. Our defensive line couldnt get to manning, and our offensive line couldnt keep the pocket. Our special teams even coughed up a fumble to hurt us. I would say the Colts pretty much took it to us save the 1st quarter.

Ok so what is a good comparison? It was Rex's first full season. He got this team to the superbowl, he won 15 games. How many people even remember how pathetic this team was a few years ago? How exciting is it to finally have your team in the big one, and actually be interested in the outcome? This staff and this roster will contend for the NFC title for the next several years. I love it.

We won despite Rex this year. I will give him credit that bhe performed well in the two NFC playoff games. But if Rex played for any other team he would be luck to win 8 games.

EDIT: Maybe saying we won despite Rex is a little too much, because he did have some great games. But you could put a lot of QB's on this team and we would win just as many, if not more games.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
Yet it was a game until the mid 4th quarter.......

I don't put ANY blame on the D tonight. Any D is going to give up yards to the Colts, thats obvious. However, when your Offense can't get off the field fast enough, you are going to get warn down. 3 and outs. 3 and outs. 3 and outs. No defense should be on the field that long.

The entire O was awful tonight(Jones had a solid performance tonight.)

I just don't think these two teams were that far apart. In my mind, the Bears gave that game away.

It happens, they lost the game and the entire team didnt really play that great. This wasnt the same team that played last week nor the one that dominated early in the season. Im still pretty excited for next year as Lovie has proven that each year his team improves from the year before. Rex should improve with his second full season starting and the defense should keep improving especially with the return of Tommie Harris.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
Yet it was a game until the mid 4th quarter.......

I don't put ANY blame on the D tonight. Any D is going to give up yards to the Colts, thats obvious. However, when your Offense can't get off the field fast enough, you are going to get warn down. 3 and outs. 3 and outs. 3 and outs. No defense should be on the field that long.

The entire O was awful tonight(Jones had a solid performance tonight.)

I just don't think these two teams were that far apart. In my mind, the Bears gave that game away.

I agree with this in general. I do blame the defense though, my god was the tackling pathetic today, they got NO pass rush, Chris Harris got his ass kicked by Reggie Wayne for a 57 yard score that should never happen and Nate Vasher is still one of the worst tackling CBs I've ever seen. On a positive note Tillman had a pretty good game, can't say that for anyone else on defense really.

The offense was just so dreadful tonight, there was no way the defense could have made up for that type of performance.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
We won despite Rex this year. I will give him credit that bhe performed well in the two NFC playoff games. But if Rex played for any other team he would be luck to win 8 games.

Despite him huh? How many games did they win despite rex? 3? How many did they win because he played great? Do you not remember he was an MVP candidate to be early in the season? The team played well, especially without a couple of key guys on defense, and a developing offense. He should only improve next year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
I just find it irresponsible to count on Rex for next season to improve. Not with the window this team has. I am excited for next season, because even with the tough schedule, they can still make some noise. I just don't think you can go into next season with Rex as the clear #1, just can't do it.

Well for anyone to count him out like that is pretty short sighted. Most of the people on here count on BA to improve next year, why not Rex? He played more great games than any other QB in the league. He can only improve on that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)
Despite him huh? How many games did they win despite rex? 3? How many did they win because he played great? Do you not remember he was an MVP candidate to be early in the season? The team played well, especially without a couple of key guys on defense, and a developing offense. He should only improve next year.

The one big question is, can he really improve on being 5'11"-6'0" and incredibly imobile with virtually no ability to escape the rush and frequent occasions of rushed throws brought on by panic. I really don't know and at this point I don't think so.

Can you name another QB to have great success in the NFL who also had these same characteristics?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 11:15 PM)
Well for anyone to count him out like that is pretty short sighted. Most of the people on here count on BA to improve next year, why not Rex? He played more great games than any other QB in the league. He can only improve on that.

BA atleast has the measurables and ability to, in theory, succeed at the major league level and he's also not the most important player on the field at all times like Rex.