BEARS in THE SUPERBOWL!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 03:07 AM)
I think most people focus on the bad coverage job their CB did on that series and the fact he was benched afterwards.

There's a ton of great catches that come on terrible coverage, that's never stopped them in the past. If it were anyone else regardless of the CB ability that catch would be getting major play from ESPN. Like Wite said if Bernard had a crazy personality like most of the WR in the game this wouldn't even be an issue.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
There's a ton of great catches that come on terrible coverage, that's never stopped them in the past. If it were anyone else regardless of the CB ability that catch would be getting major play from ESPN. Like Wite said if Bernard had a crazy personality like most of the WR in the game this wouldn't even be an issue.

If Marvin Harrison were 20 catches and 200 yards a year worse, he would never get coverage. I mean, did you realize that the Colts have Reggie Wayne too?

Harrison's numbers are too good for him to be ignored, because otherwise he would be.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 03:12 AM)
It's because he hasn't given himself a self-proclaimed nickname or b****ed at coaches while then following it up with an Irish jig (otherwise known as the Ashlee Simpson two-step) in the endzone.

If he was like "YO CALL ME BB, CUZ I'M AS FAST AS A BB OUT OF A GUN" or some other stupid s*** such as that, then he would be loved by everyone from ESPN and his clip would be considered one of the best of all time.

It's the same general philosophy that makes Uribe's into-the-stands catch in game 4 inferior to Derek Jeter's dive into the stands, even though only one of them caught the ball WHILE in the stands.

Ha, that's so terrible.

This morning a Gary, Indiana kindergarten teacher explains to her class that she is an Indianapolis Colts fan.

She asks her students to raise their hands if they are Colts fans, too. Not really knowing what a Colts fan was, but wanting to be liked by their teacher, their hands flew into the air.

There is, however, one exception. Susie has not gone along with the crowd.

The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different. "Because I'm not a Colts fan" she reports.

"Then," asks the teacher, "what are you?"

"I'm a Chicago Bears fan," boasts the little girl.

The teacher asks Susie why she is a Bears fan. "Well, my Dad and Mom are Bears fans, so I'm a Bears fan, too" she responds.

"That's no reason," the teacher says. "What if your mom was a moron, and your dad was an idiot. What would you be then?"

Susie smiles and says, "Then I'd be a Colts fan."

Go Bears!!!

Oh yeah? That's so weird, because I heard a similar story from Bridgeport....

This morning a Bridgeport, Illinois kindergarten teacher explains to her class that she is an Chicago Bears fan.

She asks her students to raise their hands if they are Bears fans, too. Not really knowing what a Bears fan was, but wanting to be liked by their teacher, their hands flew into the air.

The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different. "Because I'm not a Bears fan" she reports.

"I'm an Indianapolis Colts fan," boasts the little girl.

The teacher asks Susie why she is a Colts fan. "Well, my Dad and Mom are Bears fans, so I'm a Colts fan, too" she responds.

"That's no reason," the teacher says. "What if your mom was a moron, and your dad was an idiot. What would you be then?"

Susie smiles and says, "Then I'd be a Bears fan."

Go Colts!!!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 25, 2007 -> 05:45 PM)
Skip Bayless was arguing today that Brian Urlacher is better than Butkus and Singletary and a bunch of other stuff about how great Urlacher is. What do you guys think about that? (I don't know what to think, really, except that Urlacher is amazing.)

I think that Skip Bayless is the biggest blowhard in all sports media, and that he is an awful analyst and columnist who thinks his 3 books about the Cowboys validate his existence.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
Oh yeah? That's so weird, because I heard a similar story from Bridgeport....

This morning a Bridgeport, Illinois kindergarten teacher explains to her class that she is an Chicago Bears fan.

She asks her students to raise their hands if they are Bears fans, too. Not really knowing what a Bears fan was, but wanting to be liked by their teacher, their hands flew into the air.

The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different. "Because I'm not a Bears fan" she reports.

"I'm an Indianapolis Colts fan," boasts the little girl.

The teacher asks Susie why she is a Colts fan. "Well, my Dad and Mom are Bears fans, so I'm a Colts fan, too" she responds.

Susie smiles and says, "Then I'd be a Bears fan."

Go Colts!!!

Lol, that joke is overused by everyone.... although first time I heard it was referenced to the Cubs.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
The only problem with being a colts fan is that you have to own up that you are from Indiana. The reason it is the crossroads of America is because nobody wanted to stay there, they just wanted to drive through to get to somewhere better.

plus half of that cruddy state are bears fans anyways.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
The only problem with being a colts fan is that you have to own up that you are from Indiana. The reason it is the crossroads of America is because nobody wanted to stay there, they just wanted to drive through to get to somewhere better.

QOTY!!!

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
plus half of that cruddy state are bears fans anyways.

The Colts are just carpetbaggers anyways. :fight

Im struggling to wrap my brain around something. EVERYONE and i mean EVERYONE talks about how powerful the colts offense is, and how they do nothing but put up points.

Indianapolis points per game 26.7

Bears points per game 26.7

Indianapolis total TD's 50

Chicago Total TD's 47

I guess I dont understand where all these crazy scoring games came from.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Im struggling to wrap my brain around something. EVERYONE and i mean EVERYONE talks about how powerful the colts offense is, and how they do nothing but put up points.

Indianapolis points per game 26.7

Bears points per game 26.7

Indianapolis total TD's 50

Chicago Total TD's 47

I guess I dont understand where all these crazy scoring games came from.

Points aren't a good indicator of offensive dominance.

You don't have to score points on offense.

Colts YPG - 379.4 (3rd NFL)

Bears YPG - 324.9 (15th NFL)

Colts PYPG - 269.3 (2nd)

Bears PYPG - 205.1 (13th)

Colts RYPG - 110.1 (t18th)

Bears RYPG - 119.9 (15th)

The Colts offense is one of the most dominant in the league, and there's no way around it really.

The Bears scored 5 special teams touchdowns (I'm not sure if that total is including Hester's 108 yard return either), opposed to the Colts 1; the Bears also scored 3 defensive touchdowns, opposed to the Colts 1. That's a difference of 6 right there.

So, all the Indy offense does is pretty much put up points. The Bears have more than 1 way of putting the ball into the endzone, and that could play key in Sunday's game.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 02:34 AM)
Points aren't a good indicator of offensive dominance.

You don't have to score points on offense.

Colts YPG - 379.4 (3rd NFL)

Bears YPG - 324.9 (15th NFL)

Colts PYPG - 269.3 (2nd)

Bears PYPG - 205.1 (13th)

Colts RYPG - 110.1 (t18th)

Bears RYPG - 119.9 (15th)

The Colts offense is one of the most dominant in the league, and there's no way around it really.

The Bears scored 5 special teams touchdowns (I'm not sure if that total is including Hester's 108 yard return either), opposed to the Colts 1; the Bears also scored 3 defensive touchdowns, opposed to the Colts 1. That's a difference of 6 right there.

So, all the Indy offense does is pretty much put up points. The Bears have more than 1 way of putting the ball into the endzone, and that could play key in Sunday's game.

I thought the point of offense was scoring? I guess yards are a better way of determining who wins the game? Even if you take away the difference in the special teams TD's, the bears offense isnt really that far behind in scoring. I just think that is largely ignored in this weeks overanalyzation of the game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
I thought the point of offense was scoring? I guess yards are a better way of determining who wins the game? Even if you take away the difference in the special teams TD's, the bears offense isnt really that far behind in scoring. I just think that is largely ignored in this weeks overanalyzation of the game.

There's no denying that the Colts have the edge at offense in this game. You're lying to yourself if you say otherwise, regardless what the stats say.

The same goes for the defense, the Bears have the better defense, even if there's a stat out there that says something else.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
There's no denying that the Colts have the edge at offense in this game. You're lying to yourself if you say otherwise, regardless what the stats say.

The same goes for the defense, the Bears have the better defense, even if there's a stat out there that says something else.

Well duh. But the Bears offense has been largely overlooked in this game. Here is actually a good story I found on this subject this morning.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;lid=tab2pos1

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)

Rick Helling is good because he won 20 games.

I mean, winning is all that matters right?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 02:59 AM)
Rick Helling is good because he won 20 games.

I mean, winning is all that matters right?

isnt it? I think some people dont value the win stat enough on this message board. They just look at every other stat and say "oh the wins dont matter look at these other stats" at the end of the day what matters more than any other stat is that W. Im not saying it tells you everything but I rather have a win than a bunch of fancy stats.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
isnt it? I think some people dont value the win stat enough on this message board. They just look at every other stat and say "oh the wins dont matter look at these other stats" at the end of the day what matters more than any other stat is that W. Im not saying it tells you everything but I rather have a win than a bunch of fancy stats.

I agree with the general logic behind what you're saying, because quite frankly, I could give a damn if the White Sox Pythagorean W-L is 81-81 if they win 100 games and the division. Everyone will say they were lucky, and they were...but they'd be in the playoffs while others aren't.

However, wins can be a very misleading number, much the same as how points scored can in football. If you were to go by strictly wins, you'd see that Rick Helling was the best pitcher in the league in 1998, when quite frankly, that is false. He was a good pitcher, worthy of being the #3-4 in almost anyone's rotation, but he won 20 games simply because his offense was good. The same concept is the reason for the Bears number of points - not because the offense was good, but rather the defense and special teams were that good that the Bears were in good field position all the time rather than starting at their own 20-30. There is a reason the Bears kicked more field goals than the Colts did.