Rotoworld Top 10 List

DBAHO

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
Next year Cunningham will be on that list. Book it. He is a stud and it would not surprise me to see him put up a .300, 20 HR, 20 SB line this year with a fair amount of walks. He will be our next outfield stud.

Well, sounds good; but not Chris Young good. :D

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 08:21 AM)
Next year Cunningham will be on that list. Book it. He is a stud and it would not surprise me to see him put up a .300, 20 HR, 20 SB line this year with a fair amount of walks. He will be our next outfield stud.

I tend to agree.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's how the Sox prospects stack up in the Rotoworld top 150.

Sweeney - 23

Danks - 36

Fields - 39

Gonzalez - 78

Haeger - 81

Masset - 109

Broadway - 137

Surprisingly, the Sox (7) trail only the Devil Rays (11) and the Rockies (8) in number of prospects in their top 150. We're tied with the D'backs, Yanks, and Twins. Of course, that doesn't say anything about the comparative quality of those 'spects. For all those lamentors, Chris Young is #5.

FWIW- Brian Anderson was ranked #30 last year.

link: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=27859

Where's flash and gosox41 to put the spin on this one? I didn't really such a s***ty farm system could be ranked third in the number of quality prospects.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 10:39 PM)
I'll try my best to fill in.

"But we don't have a Liriano"

"Broadway will never amount to anything"

"We have too many soft tossers"

"Our farm system still sucks because we traded Chris Young"

"McCarthy should have stayed"

"We should have gotten more in the Danks package"

"Anderson blows"

That should pretty much cover every angle. I'm sure there are a few missing.... :wacko: :wacko:

Let me try.

"Well, that still doesn't come anywhere close to excusing this organzation's lack of insight and overall ineptitude when it comes to drafting and developing players the last 10 years. Rotoworld has no credibility anyway. I live and die based on BAs rankings. I'm so sick and tired of this team's obsession with "soft tossers." Lance Broadway? AHAHAHA! He's a lock to be a bum. Mcculloch? You've got to be kidding me? This guy is supposed to be our Liriano? Why can't we be like the Twins? You know, they drafted Santana, wait, well, they drafted Liriano, wait, um -- AHAAAAA! They did draft Matt motherf***ing Garza! OH YEAH! Who do we have to counter Matt Garza? Who!? How come the Tigers are overflowing with sure-fire, no-doubt-about-it hall of famers in their system? Draft position you say? Well I'm not having it! That's no excuse. I expect our scouting department to be able to locate guys like Verlander/Sowers/Miller at the very bottom of the first-round. It's not that hard, people!"

Girls, Girls, you're both pretty.

While my own list would look very similar to Rotoworld's, and thus my opinion is that the Sox have a very healthy farm system in that they probably have as many almost-ready prospects as any team in baseball, they have significant reservations as well.

Here's something I wrote about a month ago for an upcoming THT preview...

The minor league system is revamped and pitching heavy, but according to Baseball America still ranks in the bottom half of baseball because it lacks depth. I feel the system should rate higher based on the number of young players who've lost their prospect status (Anderson, Sisco, Floyd) and the sheer number of legitimate prospects that will open the season just a phone call away at AAA Charlotte.

That being said, the farm system could quickly turn into one of the worst in baseball when these players graduate and or fail to make the transition to the major leagues. Williams will have to be very creative over the next years time to restock the lower levels of the farm as the Sox find themselves with just 2 of the first 100 draft picks this June.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
Girls, Girls, you're both pretty.

While my own list would look very similar to Rotoworld's, and thus my opinion is that the Sox have a very healthy farm system in that they probably have as many almost-ready prospects as any team in baseball, they have significant reservations as well.

Here's something I wrote about a month ago for an upcoming THT preview...

cheat saves the day for the 1087th time

Man, I appeared to miss a full out assault yesterday. :cheers

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
Where's flash and gosox41 to put the spin on this one? I didn't really such a s***ty farm system could be ranked third in the number of quality prospects.

No spin is necessary. Prior to acquiring Gonzalez, Sisco, Danks, Rasner, Masset the farm system was atrocious. Which the additions over the offseason we have restocked the system.

Suggesting our organization is ranked third in the number of quality prospects is doing exactly what you accuse me of -- spinning. Sure, we're tied with several other teams for third in the number of prospects on the Top 150. But does that automatically assume all are quality players? Two players are rated above 100! Reasonably, after 100, anyone compiling these lists are throwing out names and placing them in random positions.

I'll try my best to fill in.

"But we don't have a Liriano"

"Broadway will never amount to anything"

"We have too many soft tossers"

"Our farm system still sucks because we traded Chris Young"

"McCarthy should have stayed"

"We should have gotten more in the Danks package"

"Anderson blows"

Close enough; except for the items in bold.

"Well, that still doesn't come anywhere close to excusing this organzation's lack of insight and overall ineptitude when it comes to drafting and developing players the last 10 years. Rotoworld has no credibility anyway. I live and die based on BAs rankings. I'm so sick and tired of this team's obsession with "soft tossers." Lance Broadway? AHAHAHA! He's a lock to be a bum. Mcculloch? You've got to be kidding me? This guy is supposed to be our Liriano? Why can't we be like the Twins? You know, they drafted Santana, wait, well, they drafted Liriano, wait, um -- AHAAAAA! They did draft Matt motherf***ing Garza! OH YEAH! Who do we have to counter Matt Garza? Who!? How come the Tigers are overflowing with sure-fire, no-doubt-about-it hall of famers in their system? Draft position you say? Well I'm not having it! That's no excuse. I expect our scouting department to be able to locate guys like Verlander/Sowers/Miller at the very bottom of the first-round. It's not that hard, people!"

You've guys have me pegged fairly well. I honestly don't care about these posts, but atleast be accurate. I dont' believe something as crucial as how Minnesota acquired Santana and Liriano has even been misintepreted by me. The draft position argument has also been clarified on numerous occasions. Quality starting pitchers can be found in the low first round. Consider Broadway's position of 15th in the 2005 Amateur draft. Here are the following pitchers I found in a comparable draft position:

Scott Kazmir - 15th in 2002

C.C. Sabathia - 20th in 1998

Jake Westbrook - 21st in 1996

Jeremey Bonderman - 26th in 2001

Philip Hughes - 23rd in 2004

Chris Carpenter - 15th in 1993

These are only a hand-ful of within the criteria. I'm not even counting positional players. What the data suggests is it's not impossible to succeed in our draft slot. For Broadway's position, we could have -- and should have -- taken a more projectable arm. If they're willing to draft safetly and avoid arms capable of injury; fine. Atleast have some interest in scouting outside America. It's there where you can find a Carlos Zambrano, Johan Santana, Felix Hernandez, Francisco Liriano without having draft position effect you. It all depends on your devotion. And -- if anyone were to judge that devotion based on the results we've seen from that region -- you'd realize it's pathetic. Nothing positive can be said. Not even a Neifi Perez clone has been produced within the last 10 years. That's just an embarrassment.

Edited by Flash Tizzle