Tenative Knights Roster?

Heads22

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
the infield and outfield group might be the worst I have ever seen by the Sox.

our farm system is going into the toilet at express speed.

Again, that isn't anywhere near what the real roster will look like. Sweeney, Rogo, Spivey, etc. will be down on the farm.

There really aren't any position guys to get excited for but there is a good chance both Sweeney and Fields will be in AAA and those are two guys to obviously watch and while I think very little of Owens the Sox still give him a chance because he has speed (he just needs to figure out how to use it).

It is the pitching staff that will be worth watching down in Charlotte. Also I want to point out that all of the milb.com rosters are not reflective of what the final roster will be.

Rosters such as that one at this time of year mean absolutely nothing. There are strictly paper rosters and that is it. Minor League rosters are formed with a trickle-down effect from the MLB club.

Think of it this way....

The MLB roster is 40 players deep (assuming they are full). There are usually a decent amount of non-roster invitees to Spring Training that would not be on this AAA roster either.

The active Major League roster is 25 players once the season starts. That means at least 15 players and any other non-roster invitees they keep and option to the minors will all have to go to Minor League rosters. Most will go to AAA, so you have to figure more than 1/2 of Charlotte's roster at the beginning of the season is not on that list.

This causes a trickle-down effect all the way to Class A, so none of the rosters at this time of year are close to what they will be on opening day. So if you truly want to guess what Charlotte's roster will look like on opening day, you need to start with the Sox 40-man roster and make some judgements about who will be with the big club come April.

Edited by Rex Hudler

All this preseason stuff is pure speculation, just like mock draft talk. So much changes year to year, how can anyone think that a big power hitter like Collaro just totally loses it? One season of adjustment could add up to a VERY BIG year at the bat. Longest Homer EVER in the Pioneer League, League leader in HR and second in RBI at Carolina. That is not a fluke boys...... :drink

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
All this preseason stuff is pure speculation, just like mock draft talk. So much changes year to year, how can anyone think that a big power hitter like Collaro just totally loses it? One season of adjustment could add up to a VERY BIG year at the bat. Longest Homer EVER in the Pioneer League, League leader in HR and second in RBI at Carolina. That is not a fluke boys...... :drink

The Hoover Met.......... where home run hitters go to die.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
I can't believe Kris Honel is still around. That guy was a prospect along time ago wasn't he?

Also, whatever happened to Jason Stumm?

Honel has been hurt and has bounced around trying to make it back. The same could be said for Stumm, except he's done because he was too lazy to work hard enough.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
Stumm was lazy?

Yeah. Nice guy, but just wasn't impressed with him. I recall a conversation he had with the trainer not long after he came up to AA. The trainer told him he needed to be in early for treatment the next day and his response was "Yeah right, I'm not getting out of bed before 1:00". The trainer just shook his head and shot me a look. That, combined with a few other tidbits, were all I needed to know.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 03:31 AM)
Yeah. Nice guy, but just wasn't impressed with him. I recall a conversation he had with the trainer not long after he came up to AA. The trainer told him he needed to be in early for treatment the next day and his response was "Yeah right, I'm not getting out of bed before 1:00". The trainer just shook his head and shot me a look. That, combined with a few other tidbits, were all I needed to know.

Jeez, if teams could just figure out the guys who want it vs the guys who do not, seems like these kind of tendencies could be figured out with some of the tests they have to take, but I guess people can BS those tests too. Thanks for the info, I had not heard that one before.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
Jeez, if teams could just figure out the guys who want it vs the guys who do not, seems like these kind of tendencies could be figured out with some of the tests they have to take, but I guess people can BS those tests too. Thanks for the info, I had not heard that one before.

That's the problem when you are dealing with 18-22 yr old kids. Most of them have always been the best players on their respective teams and basically had things handed to them. It's hard to tell who really knows how to work and why hard work is necessary, when their talents have mostly gotten them to the point where they are at that point.

And even if you find a kid who works pretty hard, you never know how the kid is going to react to girls, money, freedom, etc. When you draft a high school kid in the first round you are basically turning loose a kid from his parents, putting a million dollars in his hand and putting him in a situation where girls throw themselves at him. While that doesn't sound bad if it happens to you, there are so many things (and I haven't even mentioned alcohol and pot) that can make a kid lose focus. Add an injury and you take the game they are so used to playing away from them and give them even more free time. Some will use it to get back as quickly and as strong as possible and others will stray.

Until you throw a kid into those situations, you never know he even the most grounded kid will react.