Juan Gone Attempting Comeback

kageman129

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
I think his hammy would pop signing a contract...

how much guaranteed $$ did he turn down from the Tigers?

$140 million over 8 years, which would just now be expiring after 2007.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlib...nzalez_Juan.stm

Gonzalez hit .326 in 1999 while topping 30 homers and 100 RBIs for the fourth consecutive year. But preoccupied with marital difficulties and his daughter's recurrent ear infections, which were bad enough to require surgery after the season, Gonzalez was exceptionally moody. In July, he made headlines when he refused to participate in the All-Star Game unless he was voted in as a starter. (He wasn't, and AL skipper Joe Torre dropped him from the team.) Two weeks later, he dropped out of the exhibition Hall of Fame Game, complaining his uniform pants were too big.

After the season, the slugger was traded to Detroit as the centerpiece of a blockbuster nine-player deal, becoming the first two-time MVP to be traded since Dale Murphy was sent from Atlanta to Philadelphia in 1990. Gambling that they would be able to extend his contract past the 2000 season, the Tigers reportedly offered Gonzalez an eight-year, $140 million contract soon after the deal was struck.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
the 3 teams reportedly interested in him - Baltimore, Detroit, and Anaheim - have all denied interest.

Sucks for Juan

SI in their rumor section had a blurb saying Orioles are not interested despite the reports.

I guess Anaheim should take a flyer. They still need offense. (Not that I think he will ever do anything, but if it's a minor league deal, no big loss)

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
SI in their rumor section had a blurb saying Orioles are not interested despite the reports.

I guess Anaheim should take a flyer. They still need offense. (Not that I think he will ever do anything, but if it's a minor league deal, no big loss)

The Orioles should know a thing or two about steroids. Right now he's at 434 homers, he's not going to get to 500 homers at 36 years old and injury plagued.