The official "Greg Oden vs. Kevin Durant thread

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)
Tim Duncan is 6'11 260... you don't think that Durant right now at age 18 6'9-10 ish and 225 lbs cant add 30-40 lbs over the course of the next 4 years in the NBA with a person assigned to him for the sole purpose of bulking up and adding weight to be able to also play on the inside?

Its not an assumption, he is an 18 year old kid who has freakish size. He is going to grow more, theres no doubt about that.

Not really, that's still an assumption. How many prominent players have grown significantly since they first hit the scene? It's not THAT common for a guy to suddenly grow 2 inches and add 40 pounds, that's a hell of a change, especially for a guy with a pretty thin frame. Plus if he bulks up THAT much it's likely to be a detriment to his mobility and his outside game, which is something you'd really hate to lose. Adding bulk just isn't as big a goal for perimeter players as they have many other things to work on.

Plus there's still a big difference between him and guys like Duncan and KG besides size. They've been post players their entire career and have worked a lot on improving their strength, positioning, and moves. That's something that Durant just hasn't done and probably won't given his immense abilities on the perimeter, at least not regularly.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
Not really, that's still an assumption. How many prominent players have grown significantly since they first hit the scene? It's not THAT common for a guy to suddenly grow 2 inches and add 40 pounds, that's a hell of a change, especially for a guy with a pretty thin frame. Plus if he bulks up THAT much it's likely to be a detriment to his mobility and his outside game, which is something you'd really hate to lose. Adding bulk just isn't as big a goal for perimeter players as they have many other things to work on.

Plus there's still a big difference between him and guys like Duncan and KG besides size. They've been post players their entire career and have worked a lot on improving their strength, positioning, and moves. That's something that Durant just hasn't done and probably won't given his immense abilities on the perimeter.

Im not trying to argue that Durant WILL be a post player, I am just saying that I don't think he is going to have a problem in the post

And again, I don't see how thats an assumption.. He is definitely going to add size to his frame, he may be done growing (Which I doubt) but he WILL add some size. He is an 18 year old kid, its as close to a guarantee as you can get.

I don't know if adding bulk to his frame is going to make him lose mobility, hes not just going to add weight, but bulk in terms of muscle size. I wouldn't think he would lose too much from it.

I have been arguing with you all day on two different message boards, I am starting to think you have an Oden obsession. :lol:

Durant is 6'10. Why is there need for him to get taller? He's never been a C prospect and never will be. He just needs to gain weight like he did the summer between high school and getting to Texas.

I like Durant better. He's a T-Mac/Dirk all in one. I've been hyping him up since high school. Oden is a beast as well. You really couldn't go wrong either way.

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
Im not trying to argue that Durant WILL be a post player, I am just saying that I don't think he is going to have a problem in the post

And again, I don't see how thats an assumption.. He is definitely going to add size to his frame, he may be done growing (Which I doubt) but he WILL add some size. He is an 18 year old kid, its as close to a guarantee as you can get.

I don't know if adding bulk to his frame is going to make him lose mobility, hes not just going to add weight, but bulk in terms of muscle size. I wouldn't think he would lose too much from it.

I have been arguing with you all day on two different message boards, I am starting to think you have an Oden obsession. :lol:

I don't really see how you can assume massive changes, hosts of other guys have been in the same situation and there aren't a whole lot that have drastically changed their size, makeup, and playing style. Plus, come on, how many 240 pound wing players do you see? Not many, cause it's just not neccesary. I would think working on his defense, passing, and to some extent ball-handling would be much higher priorities, since he can be a very good SF without bulking up too much.

He can be decent in the post, but it's unlikely that posting up will become a huge part of his game. He's just too good on the perimeter, I just seriously doubt anyone would put that much effort into developing his post game at the expense of his perimeter abilities.

Hey, is it a crime to discuss a dividing and interesting topic so much? :P

I used to think this was an easy one and say Oden but watching Durant play lately hes a monster offensively. I think it depends which team is picking. I think the Bulls could use both of them relatively the same but some teams need more defensive help and some need more offensive help. If I was the Bulls on the clock Id take Durant.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 07:39 PM)
I don't really see how you can assume massive changes, hosts of other guys have been in the same situation and there aren't a whole lot that have drastically changed their size, makeup, and playing style. Plus, come on, how many 240 pound wing players do you see? Not many, cause it's just not neccesary. I would think working on his defense, passing, and to some extent ball-handling would be much higher priorities, since he can be a very good SF without bulking up too much.

He can be decent in the post, but it's unlikely that posting up will become a huge part of his game. He's just too good on the perimeter, I just seriously doubt anyone would put that much effort into developing his post game at the expense of his perimeter abilities.

Hey, is it a crime to discuss a dividing and interesting topic so much? :P

Im not saying he WILL get massive changes, but to say that they are unlikely just doesn't make sense to me because it wouldn't be out of the question to do so. He wouldn't have to change his playing style, but adding some bulk to his frame wouldn't hurt. I guess I got a little carried away in some of my posts because he shouldn't be made into a post player, he already has all around talent, but its there if it needs to be done.

You're right, posting up shouldn't be a big part of his game but he can still do it and I don't think he would have a problem with it in the NBA. He has the size already and has already shown in his college career so far that he is a threat from almost all over. Thats just why I like him over Oden, he is an all around player and not just stuck doing one thing.

Once again though, I am not knocking Oden at all he is an excellent prospect and is most likely going to be a very good NBA player. I just value all around talent over specific position talent I suppose.

I'd take Oden, and I don't think its really that close. In terms of the NBA, a dominating big man (or potential dominating big man) plays such as larger role in the course of a season than a player like Durant. He's got the size and definitely the talent to do so, so I'd much rather him than Durant, although Durant is still a hell of a player.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
Durant is 6'10. Why is there need for him to get taller? He's never been a C prospect and never will be. He just needs to gain weight like he did the summer between high school and getting to Texas.

I like Durant better. He's a T-Mac/Dirk all in one. I've been hyping him up since high school. Oden is a beast as well. You really couldn't go wrong either way.

I don't think there's a NEED for him to get taller. But, I think nature will MAKE him taller. Usually, men grow until they are in their early 20's while women stop around the end of high school.

Maybe he's done, and he's certainly not going to have a spurt, but look at all the SF/PF in the league that are 7' now. More size won't hurt him.

And if you look at his upper body, he should gain at least 20 lbs. of muscle...just by training in the NBA.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
Usually, men grow until they are in their early 20's while women stop around the end of high school.

Subtract a couple years off the men and a year or two off women and you are right. Durant in all likelihood is done.

I'm taking Oden because I can't pass on size. I will always, always, always take the 7 footer.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
Subtract a couple years off the men and a year or two off women and you are right. Durant in all likelihood is done.

I'm taking Oden because I can't pass on size. I will always, always, always take the 7 footer.

Agree with you all the way, you cant pass up a talent like Oden, unfortunately I dont think the Knicks will fall to a point where the Bulls might be able to nab him. Thats for the lottery to decide though.

Durant I dont know if Im sold on him yet, Oden is one thing, he has game and hell he can do it with both hands. Durant I think might need a year, somewhat of a selfish player in my eyes but helps his team win and is very competitive, probably a trait overlooked in drafting NBA players.

Currently I think the Celtics could be in more of a need for Oden, him and Pierce would be fun to watch and Id likely suspect Durant to go to Memphis. (Just an ealry prediction, if they decide to forgo another year of college ball)

Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
If the Celtics were smart they would trade Pierce and just rebuild..

Fire Ainge too

Yeah their franchise is really going down the drain ever since that trade of Ricky Davis it seems they lost a scoring threat besides Pierce, plus Pierces injuries exactly didnt help.

Might be a longshot to say but Oden might just be good enough to mesh with Pierce and turn the Celtics around in a heartbeat, only speculation.

Edited by ChiTown

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)

Fire Ainge too

That would be Danny Ainge's dream.

Hell anyone not named Pierce on that roster is probably under 25.

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fire Ainge too

How have they not "just rebuild(ed)" already? They have the most good young talent in the league. Pierce recommended trading the pick, but that makes zero sense. With as much talent as they have, you can trade some along with Theo Ratliff's expiring contract and get that solid veteran to accompany Pierce and either Oden or Durant.

The Celtics, for as bad as they are right now, are in great shape to succeed in the future.

A combination of Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Kendrick Perkins along with Theo Ratliff could be extremely enticing for teams like Memphis (Gasol), Sacremento (Bibby), etc.

The Celtics have been hard after a point guard for years, going hard after Bibby makes all too much sense.

West, Telfair, Ratliff, first round pick in '08 for Bibby (money/filler would have to be added)

You're looking at a line-up of:

Bibby, Pierce, Sczerbiak, Durant, Jefferson

Rondo, Allen, Green, Gomes, Perkins

Of course you could get Sczerbiak and Brad Miller involved and it could get real interesting.

Point is, the Celtics are in an extremely good position, talent wise, to return this franchise to glory. It'll just take time.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol...

Your boston homerism knows no bounds.

You're just being ignorant if you disagree. The Bulls have good young players, just not as many that could be used as trade bait, unless of course you want to disrupt the whole outlook of that team.

But good one. You remind me of John Amaechi.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
You're just being ignorant if you disagree. The Bulls have good young players, just not as many that could be used as trade bait, unless of course you want to disrupt the whole outlook of that team.

But good one. You remind me of John Amaechi.

So you're calling me ignorant and gay...Nice, good job of staying classy...

No need to resort to silly name-calling just because you're flat-out wrong and too immature to realize it.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you're calling me ignorant and gay...Nice, good job of staying classy...

No need to resort to silly name-calling just because you're flat-out wrong and too immature to realize it.

You deserve it. If you arent going to debate or offer anything to the thread, then dont waste everybodys time. i'd be glad to discuss our differences of opinion, you just failed to say why your opinion differs and resorted to name calling, and at this time im not having it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
You deserve it. If you arent going to debate or offer anything to the thread, then dont waste everybodys time. i'd be glad to discuss our differences of opinion, you just failed to say why your opinion differs and resorted to name calling, and at this time im not having it.

Explain how they have the most "good young talent." I think Orlando has more young talent in one player than the Celtics have on their whole team.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Explain how they have the most "good young talent." I think Orlando has more young talent in one player than the Celtics have on their whole team.

Oh, goodness. I completely agree. I'd take Dwight Howard over just about anybody in the league. My one and only point, which I think Sleepy missed initially, is that the Celtics don't have to give up that coveted first round pick as Pierce had asked for (for veteran help) because they have enough young talent, outside of the three key guys (Allen, Jefferson, Green) to land a guy like Mike Bibby when you also factor in the expiring contract of Theo Ratliff.

Basically, I don't think the Celtics are too far off from being a contending team. Of course a lot of things have to fall into place, for instance ping pong balls, I just happen to believe the politics of the NBA (James miracously taking a franchise that was about to fold back to glory) will win out and the Celtics will be a team that will get either Oden or Durant.

And when you couple in my plan, which I believe is also a plan of Danny's, the future looks rather bright, even when you're about to match the number of consecutive losses to championship banners later tonight.

Bibby, Pierce, Sczerbiak, Jefferson, Oden or Bibby, Pierce, Sczerbiak, Durant, Jefferson.

When you have a sixth man like Tony Allen, a stop gap full energy point guard in Rajon Rondo to back up, and a big, still improving body that is Kendrick Perkins. You have a roster that is a role player or two away from being a legit contender in that division.

Lets not forget. Had the season ended 30 games into the season. The Celtics would have been the three seed. Well, the four seed with the new rules. Still, pretty astonishing.