Laptops, Apple, technology, etc.

WHarris1

Not sure if this needed it's own thread or not, but I figured 'why the hell not?'.

I have recently been considering buying a new laptop since mine is about 4-5 years old and really not so hot. I am in love with the MacBook, but what I am wondering is this...I know I am going to want a laptop going into college (I am only a junior in HS), would it be worth waiting for the advances in laptops over the next year and a half? It is more of a general question than anything, but I guess what I am asking is will the advances with regards to laptops and specifically Apple be worth waiting a year and a half for?

I don't necessarily need one right now, but if they aren't going to be remarkably better I figured I might as well.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
Not sure if this needed it's own thread or not, but I figured 'why the hell not?'.

I have recently been considering buying a new laptop since mine is about 4-5 years old and really not so hot. I am in love with the MacBook, but what I am wondering is this...I know I am going to want a laptop going into college (I am only a junior in HS), would it be worth waiting for the advances in laptops over the next year and a half? It is more of a general question than anything, but I guess what I am asking is will the advances with regards to laptops and specifically Apple be worth waiting a year and a half for?

I don't necessarily need one right now, but if they aren't going to be remarkably better I figured I might as well.

If you get the macbook, spend the 200 bucks more and get the black one. The case will hold up better.

The longer you wait on technology, the better the equipment will be that is always the thing.

From a technology standpoint, these would be my best guesses.

Currently the procs are dual core 64bit. I could see the possibility of quad core systems by next year in the laptop.

802.11n wireless standard built in. If you have a newer Macbook you can upgrade your wireless to support pre-n and N by a firmware upgrade that costs $1.99.

Larger Sata hard drives,

The only thing that would keep me waiting is to see if Apple would put a Blueray or HD-DVD drive in their systems. But nothing has been leaked about that.

Basically you have to draw a line in the sand and say I need it at this point and then purchase it. When you buy it, pretty much you will see within 6 months a newer and better laptop out with new gizmos. Pretty much unless you are doing some state of the art math processing, or heavy duty graphics these systems will be powerful enough. I run password cracking programs on my system that run heavy math and my core duo macbook runs great.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
If you get the macbook, spend the 200 bucks more and get the black one. The case will hold up better.

The longer you wait on technology, the better the equipment will be that is always the thing.

From a technology standpoint, these would be my best guesses.

Currently the procs are dual core 64bit. I could see the possibility of quad core systems by next year in the laptop.

802.11n wireless standard built in. If you have a newer Macbook you can upgrade your wireless to support pre-n and N by a firmware upgrade that costs $1.99.

Larger Sata hard drives,

The only thing that would keep me waiting is to see if Apple would put a Blueray or HD-DVD drive in their systems. But nothing has been leaked about that.

Basically you have to draw a line in the sand and say I need it at this point and then purchase it. When you buy it, pretty much you will see within 6 months a newer and better laptop out with new gizmos. Pretty much unless you are doing some state of the art math processing, or heavy duty graphics these systems will be powerful enough. I run password cracking programs on my system that run heavy math and my core duo macbook runs great.

Definitely planning on black, God that thing looks sweet.

How long have you had yours and how has it held up? Definitely recommended?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
Last I heard is that new Apple laptops will be here Q2 07' (with Core 2 Duo) so I guess you may as well just wait a few months.

Any details or info on this? Thanks. :)

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
Any details or info on this? Thanks. :)

My first post should read new Core 2 Duo. Intel is releasing a brand new technology in April, which has many speculating that new MacBooks will be out in May/June to keep with the curve. So, I can't give you any official word if that is what you need. Sorry..

QUOTE(3E8 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
My first post should read new Core 2 Duo. Intel is releasing a brand new technology in April, which has many speculating that new MacBooks will be out in May/June to keep with the curve. So, I can't give you any official word if that is what you need. Sorry..

Nah, it doesn't matter if it's official or anything.

Thanks for the info.

also, it helps to look up what kind of tech prospective colleges you are looking at prefer. Apples at mizzou are great for the learning process, the iLife sweet has allowed the school to cool activities like iLife and podcasts.