71 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather deal with?

• 100 degrees and high humidity
    • -10 below zero plus gusty winds

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the two examples you give, one can kill you quickly and result in fingers and toes to frostbite. I'll pass on the boots, hats, gloves, long underwear, chapped lips, numb fingers, toes, and nose.

waimanalo-beach.gif

slush.jpg

Hmmmm, where would I rather be?

Considering the fact that I've dealt with it over this winter (although I don't know what "gusty winds" are considered), I'd take -10 below plus the wind. It's really not that bad if you just put enough clothes on, and then I think its pretty nice (although I do say otherwise when the wind hits my unclothed face).

Plus, really hot weather sucks. Cold weather ftw :)

Edited by Felix

35 in Chicago, 10 in Texas. I was an avid winter outdoors person. From ice fishing to black and white winter photography I found every excuse to be outdoors. It is so much easier to deal with the heat and humidity than the cold. Never having to say, crap I forgot my gloves/hats/scarf/boots etc.

But you have to pay your dues with one summer. Once you are acclimated, it makes all the difference in the world. 100 degrees with 40% humidity means drinking an extra glass of water and the ice in your margarita melts faster. -10 with wind means bundle up or die.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 08:41 AM)
BTW, has anyone lived in both extremes?

If you've lived in Chicago, the answer is yes.

I was living in Ames, Iowa when they set their record for low air temperature - 32 below zero F. I also lived in Memphis, TN for a few years, where its 90 to 100 and high humidity every friggin' day for 3 months.

I'll take the cold, thank you. Every time I stepped out of my door in Memphis during the summer, I felt like the heat and humidity stole a small bit of my soul.

I'll take the hot weather all day everyday! "You can always put more clothes on" - this is a bunch of bunk I hear all the time. It's a pain in the neck to put all those clothes on and when you get into the warmth of the house it doesn't immediately feel better - your fingers are still numb, your face still burns and your lips are still chapped. Add to that, once you finally warm up you're sweating from 2 pairs of socks and long underwear. When you come in from the heat and humidity into the nice cool air conditioning you immediately feel relief!

People would actually rather have -10? 35 degrees? OK, I can understand, but -10? They must be completely nuts!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 06:41 AM)
BTW, has anyone lived in both extremes?

From Chicago to L.A.? I think I've got that covered.

I'll stick with the heat. No matter how many times people tell me that "you can always put on more clothes" excuse, I just don't buy it. I can't stand snow.

I always used to say I would rather be in the cold weather. Mainly due to pretty much every place having heat and it being easier to find a place to warm up than a place to cool down.

But I was actually driving into work this morning, my car covered in salt, wipers not working properly due to ice, having had my car die the other day due to cold, running late bacause I sat at the bus stop with my kid so she didn't freeze, and I realized I could be happy moving someplace warm now. I'm tired of the crappy driving conditions, shoveling snow, pipes freezing, feeling trapped inside.

In my old age, I can honestly say that winter sucks.

I hate both for sure, but seeing as I have a skin condition which does not enable me to sweat, I'll gladly take the most frigid cold weather over heat and humidity any time.

I went to a Sunday afternoon Sox game a few years ago and it was like the hottest day of the summer. Before the game even started I ended up in the Sox' emergency room in the bowels of the Cell. I was laying on a little cot with cold towels on my head and sipping ice water watching the game on TV when the game started. I forget who the Sox were playing that day but the Sox won big due in large part to the huge 1st inning they had which I didn't get to witness live. I remember thinking that I might die that day and thought what better place to die than at the Cell. So I was strangely content.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)
35 in Chicago, 10 in Texas. I was an avid winter outdoors person. From ice fishing to black and white winter photography I found every excuse to be outdoors. It is so much easier to deal with the heat and humidity than the cold. Never having to say, crap I forgot my gloves/hats/scarf/boots etc.

But you have to pay your dues with one summer. Once you are acclimated, it makes all the difference in the world. 100 degrees with 40% humidity means drinking an extra glass of water and the ice in your margarita melts faster. -10 with wind means bundle up or die.

When it's -10 you NEVER "forget" gloves/hats/scarf/boots etc.

I think Chicago is the perfect example of living in both extremes. We get ridiculous cold like the past 3 weeks and we get the ridudulous hot and humid days in the summer.