Extreme Weather Poll

southsider2k5

Hot or Cold?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather deal with?

• 100 degrees and high humidity
    • -10 below zero plus gusty winds

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
When it's 10 below and you go outside at all (unless absolutely necessary) you need therapy.

Pfft.. it's been in the negatives for a few weeks here... hasn't stopped me from going outside. It's fine.. just put on enough clothes.

I don't even wear that much, but its fine for me. I wear a hat, gloves, undershirt, shirt, sweatshirt, coat, jeans/sweatpants (depends on the day), normal winter socks, and sneakers and I'm fine. I just don't think of the cold and concentrate on other things, and it's fine. Hell, its nice out with that on, and I'm plenty comfortable.

Edited by Felix

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 09:01 AM)
Chicago is coastal, sort of. I am sure there are marine biologists who make their living studying various things in the Great Lakes.

There are limnologists who make their living doing that. That's where I started out in my schooling since freshwater ecology was as close as you could get to marine science going to school in the midwest.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ill take the COld, its easier to warm up then to cool off. $$

Tell that to my car.

for the people talking about bundling up for winter, just how eactly do I bundle my face up , without looking goofy, but more importantly, it doesn't protect my eyes (no, I won't wear ski goggles to work either.

In the summer, there are more women wearing less clothes, convertibles shinin', and you can get to your destination in a reasonable amount of time.

Personally I hate wearing a lot of clothes, having my beater car covered in salt and that nasty black snow s***, and going to work 30 minutes later than normal because my car needs to warm up and the roads aren't plowed forcing me to go 15 MPH.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
for the people talking about bundling up for winter, just how eactly do I bundle my face up , without looking goofy, but more importantly, it doesn't protect my eyes (no, I won't wear ski goggles to work either.

Either wear a scarf or one of those facemask things, neither of which make you look goofy. I don't know why you are concerned about looking goofy though.. looks should be the last thing that matter when you (and everyone else around you for that matter) are just trying to stay warm.

I don't really have problems with my face or eyes being too cold, and I don't wear anything (other than my glasses) on them.

Reason #3 I am giving in this thread for heat over cold.

Do you want to watch good looking people adding layers or taking them off?

Cold Lover: "I'd love to see that new woman in compliance in long underwear, two pairs of socks, a turtleneck, sweater, long pants, parka, gloves, artic boots, hat, face mask, scarf . . ."

Hot Lover: "I'd love to see that new woman in compliance at the beach . . ."

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 06:21 AM)
Reason #3 I am giving in this thread for heat over cold.

Do you want to watch good looking people adding layers or taking them off?

Cold Lover: "I'd love to see that new woman in compliance in long underwear, two pairs of socks, a turtleneck, sweater, long pants, parka, gloves, artic boots, hat, face mask, scarf . . ."

Hot Lover: "I'd love to see that new woman in compliance at the beach . . ."

pretty tempting to switch to warm weather, but I'll stay with cold because sometimes there are women you just don't want to see taking off layers.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
pretty tempting to switch to warm weather, but I'll stay with cold because sometimes there are women you just don't want to see taking off layers.

There is also the couple of days of sunburn that I get every year (I just burn and once that clears up, burn again) as well as car problems due to overheating in that kind of weather. You can just as easily have car problems in either type, most of the ones I run into are during the heat waves.

And it would probably be an "Ozone Action" day. So there are certain things you cannot get done during those hot days too.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
Buy fan. Turn on fan. Get in front of fan. :P

Sweat as hot air blows on face.

I had a fan in the summer of '95 when it was 100+ degrees in Chicago for what, two or three straight weeks. Fans don't work in really hot weather.

Give me the cold and here's why:

- [sorry mreye] You can always put on more, but can't always take more off, unless you want to be arrested.

- When I get to work, I'm not sweating through my nice clothes.

- Doesn't feel like a need a knife to cut through the air.

- Makes the 55 degree January Thaw feel like it's 75 degrees.

- The surprise and shock I feel every Spring when these women start shedding the layers and I wonder, where they hell have you been? You're HOT!!!

- Getting in bed, under many covers and slowly warming up.

- Prickly heat...not fun.

- Better chance of work/school closings.

I don't know who said it, but I will definitely give a thumbs up to the person who said it's better to go out at night when it's hot, because it's not as hot, but live in Texas long enough and those nights aren't always that much cooler. Unless you think 90 degrees is cooler.

Put on clothes. Ignore fan, ignore heat. Save money.

Btw, we hit double digits today for the first time since February 1st.. it seemed way too warm.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Either wear a scarf or one of those facemask things, neither of which make you look goofy. I don't know why you are concerned about looking goofy though.. looks should be the last thing that matter when you (and everyone else around you for that matter) are just trying to stay warm.

That's part of my point. I rather see people wearing less clothing. (The positives outweigh the negatives. :D )

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My energy costs are WAY less in the summer! - Summer saves money. End of discussion.

forgot to add that too. How many of you voting for cold weather pay for your own utilities? I also have to spend more money on laundry because I'm wearing longer and thicker clothes along with mulitple layers.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 08:29 AM)
Cold, absolutely no question. I HATE heat and humidity

I agree!

ETA - I pay my own utilities (well, Brian and I pay them haha) and just got my new and improved ComEd bill this week. It was worse than expected, but nothing we can't handle.

Edited by Queen Prawn

I live in a third floor walk up apartment. We had a week of 100+ degree days. I couldn't sleep because I had no air conditioning.... I eventually gave up and bought a window unit, but only because I could not keep my indoor temperature under 95 degrees anymore.

I lived in Big Rapids, MI during one of the two coldest weeks of that winter - in an apartment where the heat had not been turned on. It was 10 below outside, it was 40 or so inside. Neither situation was pleasant, but thanks to a warm sleeping bag I had, I was able to be much more rested in the colder weather.

100 degree days make me listless and lazy. I do things in the cold. I might not go hiking in -10 below weather, but I'm more likely to go hiking in 15 degree temperatures with wind than 90 degree humid days.

You live in Cali, where the humidity is generally low. Dry air and a fan cause evaporation, which cools your skin. Here in the midwest in summer its friggin' humid (usually), so that fan doesn't do a damn thing.

I can't believe I am saying this to Mr. Science. I have a feeling I'm about to get science-slapped.