Guillen Likes Our Bullpen

Gregory Pratt

It was a bold statement made by Ozzie Guillen.

Not that the White Sox manager ever falls short in that department.

But in talking two weeks ago about the 2007 version of the Sox, Guillen made an assessment that was completely heartfelt

''I got better this offseason ... I have,'' Guillen said, when asked about the team's eye-opening moves since last year's disappointing finish.

Considering that the Sox traded away a combined 21 wins in moving starter Freddy Garcia and starter-in-waiting Brandon McCarthy, on the surface it sounded as if Guillen was just being the good soldier in spewing the company line.

Then he related how bad things really got for him late in games throughout 2006.

''The reason we struggled last year was because we didn't have the bullpen,'' Guillen said. ''My bullpen is now strong.

''You know how many times I would put my arm up and hopefully have guys come in and get the ball to that eighth inning? Whoever I bring in now, I expect to pitch that inning, at least one inning. Last year, it was one guy for a lefty, one guy for a righty because we can't get anyone out.

''It got so bad last year that I would hear fans at home yell to me, 'Bring in [closer Bobby] Jenks.' And that was in the fifth.''

Without seeing any of his new relievers throw a pitch, Guillen believes the problem has been remedied.

Sure, Jenks and his 41 saves return to the back end of the pen, more than 20 pounds lighter and with a full year of experience under his once-hefty belt.

The eighth inning also is secure in Guillen's mind with Mike MacDougal -- now fully healthy -- from the right side and Matt Thornton from the left side.

''The problem was the fifth, sixth and seventh innings,'' Guillen said.

Cliff Politte, Neal Cotts, Boone Logan, McCarthy and David Riske each was given a shot at being a bridge to the eighth, and each failed in Guillen's eyes.

''During the season, I kept talking about how important the bullpen was in our division and to our success,'' Guillen said. ''You look at Minnesota and how big that bullpen was for them. In the second half of the year, I didn't have much confidence.''

So his one request to general manager Ken Williams? Reload with more bullets.

Williams sent Cotts across town to the Cubs for hard-throwing David Aardsma in November, then dealt Garcia to Philadelphia for lefty prospect Gio Gonzalez and right-hander Gavin Floyd in early December. A little more than a week later, he acquired hard-throwing lefty Andrew Sisco from Kansas City in exchange for Ross Gload. The final piece of the puzzle came in late December, when Williams pulled his finger on the deal ''that blew me away,'' Guillen said.

McCarthy went to Texas, and in return the Sox got stud prospect John Danks and right-handers Nick Masset and Jacob Rasner.

Danks is slotted to be a starter eventually, penciled in for when Mark Buehrle likely leaves via free agency after the 2007 season, but when asked which player he is most excited to see when camp begins next week, Williams did not hesitate.

''Masset,'' he said. ''He has power, probably just a tick under Jenks on the radar gun, and three pitches.''

If Masset performs well in spring training, he will play a role in the bullpen come Opening Day.

''We have options,'' Williams said. ''Since I've been here, I don't recall us having a bullpen with so many power arms.

''One of our primary goals was to build a better bullpen. We wanted a better bullpen so that when Ozzie raises his right arm or his left arm, he's bringing in a guy that can get him some outs.

''Then you add the ability to have these guys together contractually, so they can get on a roll for a few years.''

So will the Sox really be better?

''I think so,'' Williams said with a smirk. ''Despite what I've been reading and hearing on the talk shows.''

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
I think the Sisco deal will turn out to be one of the steals of the year. I hope Kenny knows what he's talking about as far as Masset goes. Just a tick under Bobby Jenks? 3 quality pitches? It's hard not to get excited when you hear stuff like that.

I don't think Sisco will be a steal this year. Hopefully they do things right and send him to Charlotte as a starter, and get his development back on track. The kid will be much more valuable in 08/09 as a starter, than in 07 as a middle reliever. I do get a great feeling about the Sisco deal.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 07:08 AM)
I don't think Sisco will be a steal this year. Hopefully they do things right and send him to Charlotte as a starter, and get his development back on track. The kid will be much more valuable in 08/09 as a starter, than in 07 as a middle reliever. I do get a great feeling about the Sisco deal.

Mike and Sisco sittin in a tree... :wub:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 07:08 AM)

i really like the sisco deal too. but i think a great way to get him to reach his potential is put him in the pen for some solid late/middle relief appearances. i have feeling the guy could strive in that type of role on this team.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
Sisco won't be a steal right away, maybe in a couple of years or so.

I disagree. I think he'll be what Damaso Marte and Matt Thornton were to the Sox their first years. And unlike those two, Sisco has already had major league success. That is assuming, of course, they put him in the 'pen as opposed to sending him to AAA.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
i really like the sisco deal too. but i think a great way to get him to reach his potential is put him in the pen for some solid late/middle relief appearances. i have feeling the guy could strive in that type of role on this team.

I'm not a fan of this.

What worries me about a bullpen spot for Sisco is it eliminates one more option once Buehrle departs in 2008. As I see it, I'd prefer every available starter competing for the position next season. If Sisco is in the bullpen, sporadically pitching one/two innings, we're pushing back his place in the rotation ANOTHER season. Why pull this crap?

Watch McCarthy this year -- unless Texas abuses him, he won't touch 170 innings because of his inconsistent workload under Guillen. You can't just jump from 70 IP to 180+. And, let's be honest here -- we'll need a dependable starter to (reasonably) compensate for the 220+ innings Buehlre averages.

If I were managing Charlotte, I'd stretch Sisco out to ~ 90 innings. Ideally --if everything goes well -- in 2008 he could be expected to exceed 120. Not exactly Buehrle's level, but better than what he could reach after a bullpen role.

Honestly, I don't believe there's anything wrong with giving Logan the remaining spot in the bullpen. If the bullpen reaches half its potential, even a struggling Boone can be accomodated during mop-up duty.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Perfect scenario for me for Sisco is that he's given the whole season to start games down in Charlotte.

This is a team although we're trying to win now, we're trying to be better in the future. And I think if you let Sisco develop as a starter, he's going to help you win more games later on as a starter than he would at the moment as a situational lefty.

So what's my solution? Sign a FA lefty reliever. I don't know who's left out there on the market from the top of my head, but there should be a couple of guys you can at least give minor league contracts too.

Otherwise I would prefer to have Logan with the Sox, and Sisco starting down at Charlotte.

Possible short - term pain for a lot of long - term gain.

I've been on the Boone Logan bandwagon for a while. I think last year he was kind of overwhelmed (most would be). He should be a lot better this time around. Also, I remember Kenny mentioning they were very high on Paulino (I think that's how you spell his first name) Reynoso. I expect him to get a legitimate chance at winning a spot in the 'pen as well.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 02:22 AM)
I've been on the Boone Logan bandwagon for a while. I think last year he was kind of overwhelmed (most would be). He should be a lot better this time around. Also, I remember Kenny mentioning they were very high on Paulino (I think that's how you spell his first name) Reynoso. I expect him to get a legitimate chance at winning a spot in the 'pen as well.

Reynoso won't even sniff the big league team. He's like Marte with somehow worse control. If Logan pitches well, he should get the LOOGY spot and Sisco should start at Charlotte.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)

I sort of liked what I saw from Logan last year. Sneaky fastball, looks like in the long term he'll be an excellent lefty reliever for someone...he just needs to not p*ss himself when a donkey-man walks to the plate, and throw some freaking strikes.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
I sort of liked what I saw from Logan last year. Sneaky fastball, looks like in the long term he'll be an excellent lefty reliever for someone...he just needs to not p*ss himself when a donkey-man walks to the plate, and throw some freaking strikes.

He needs to get used to the fact that he is actually good at baseball. The Sox were like essentially seconds away from releasing him and they just changed his arm slot, and he had instant success and the next thing he knew, he was in the majors. That would kind of be overwhelming.

If he gets used to that, he'll be money stuff regardless of who he is facing, so long as said batter is left-handed.