US Defeats Mexico 2-0

Right after Donovan seals the game with a stoppage time deathblow to make it 2-0

tx_020707_us_ap.jpg

The goalie gets up, and then goes spikes up into Eddie Johnson. Check the image in the back.

p1_020707_landon_ap.jpg

Hopefully Fifa supsends their goalie. Its one thing when the fans throw urine bombs, but when you have players showing frustration and then going spikes up into a players ankle when they are running away from you. Its classless at the highest levels. Typical though, we have seen them punch players, spike them when they are on the ground. Dirty dirty play. The dirty play is on sportscenter.

Maybe they should work on beating us on US soil and stop with the childish crap.

USA USA USA

Edited by southsideirish71

My game notes:

- Mexico's new adidas jerseys were terrible...I hate how adidas is taking the nike college cookie-cutter approach of giving all their teams the same design...

- bruce arena hurts my ears...

- Both teams played pretty bad most of the game. Same recent formula and result in the end, though.

- Stupid, ugly move at the end...wynalda made a nice comment about the goalie losing his dad before the World Cup and him coming out and playing well, and then he goes and does something stupid like that...

- Boring game overall.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
My game notes:

- Mexico's new adidas jerseys were terrible...I hate how adidas is taking the nike college cookie-cutter approach of giving all their teams the same design...

- bruce arena hurts my ears...

- Both teams played pretty bad most of the game. Same recent formula and result in the end, though.

- Stupid, ugly move at the end...wynalda made a nice comment about the goalie losing his dad before the World Cup and him coming out and playing well, and then he goes and does something stupid like that...

- Boring game overall.

Bruce Arena hurts everyones eyes. The only good thing is that he cant load the pitch up with ex DC United players and play a 4-5-1 anymore.

The game was sloppy, and the pitch was small.

They did an interview with Sunil who runs the US soccer federation. He provided nothing but nonsense. The fact that this man is heading up US Soccer means that nothing good is going to happen for a while.

Albright can go away forever. He basically was a turnstyle. Mexico kept attacking him over and over and getting past him. Deak to the left, he over commits and cant stop. Deak to the right and he over commits and cant stop. 2 moves and you are past him running unabaited on goal. Only Howard and some team traps kept the clean sheet.

Rolfe was worthless also.

If Landon can play like this against non Concacaff teams we would be fine. He played well.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
The casual fans who only root because it's their country.

LOL. That's not condescending at all...

I'm a casual soccer fan, and of course I'm going to root for the USA. And my hopes -- if you want to call them that -- are no higher than they were yesterday. It was a nice 'W', but quite obviously they still have a long, long way to go.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
The casual fans who only root because it's their country.

I dont know. Here is another thought. What is worse. The casual fan that roots for their country for a show of nationalistic pride. Or someone that was born here, and roots for someone else which is obviously what I see when we watch a US game in America. I never see the red white and blue outnumbering the opponent. So did an army of people here on Visa's or were born in other countries just happen to show up. Maybe. Or is it children of immigrants who seem to love it here, except for when the teams play.

I was born in Ireland. However if the US were to play the Irish I would wear my red white and blue and root for the Americans to beat Ireland. This is the only country I have known. I am an American citizen. Its somewhere that I have been since I was one years old. Dont get me wrong if Ireland is playing anyonje else, I root for the Irish. I own a Duff and Keane jersey. But there are plenty of people in this country that seem to identify with another country, even thought they have never been there for most accounts and forget why we all came here in the first place. My father used to get mad at me when people would ask what I was and would say Irish. He told me, you are an American.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
LOL. That's not condescending at all...

I'm a casual soccer fan, and of course I'm going to root for the USA. And my hopes -- if you want to call them that -- are no higher than they were yesterday. It was a nice 'W', but quite obviously they still have a long, long way to go.

I didn't mean for it to be derrogatory at all, and I apologize if you see it that way. But what I meant to say is that the casual fan is getting fed all this garbage about how great the US team can be. I watched the 2nd half of the game and I watched some of the post-game. Eric Wynalda is quite possibly the worst soccer analyst I have ever seen. If he could have crawled into Landon Donovan's shorts, he probably would have. They lack any objectivity at all. When they lose, they should drop all the players and get a new coach. When they win, watch out Brazil and Italy, here come's the US.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I dont know. Here is another thought. What is worse. The casual fan that roots for their country for a show of nationalistic pride. Or someone that was born here, and roots for someone else which is obviously what I see when we watch a US game in America. I never see the red white and blue outnumbering the opponent. So did an army of people here on Visa's or were born in other countries just happen to show up. Maybe. Or is it children of immigrants who seem to love it here, except for when the teams play.

I was born in Ireland. However if the US were to play the Irish I would wear my red white and blue and root for the Americans to beat Ireland. This is the only country I have known. I am an American citizen. Its somewhere that I have been since I was one years old. Dont get me wrong if Ireland is playing anyonje else, I root for the Irish. I own a Duff and Keane jersey. But there are plenty of people in this country that seem to identify with another country, even thought they have never been there for most accounts and forget why we all came here in the first place. My father used to get mad at me when people would ask what I was and would say Irish. He told me, you are an American.

My comment had nothing to do with that, but I understand what you're saying. And I'm not sure if that's kinda a shot at me and my Serbian-ness or not, but ok.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
My comment had nothing to do with that, but I understand what you're saying. And I'm not sure if that's kinda a shot at me and my Serbian-ness or not, but ok.

You are a chat crew member and we are all brothers that wasnt the point of my post. To me I would rather have some bandwagon fan jump up and down, than someone who is claiming to be part of a country that they never plan on going to. It was more of a shot to the 50k Americans of Mexican decent that were in the stadium.

Eric Wynalda is horrible. He has no clue. Landon Donovan does this all the time. He looks like the second coming of Ronaldo against concacaff teams, because they play wide open and the marking is poor. The minute he goes up against a physical good marking team, he disappears.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Don't crucify me, but -- realize I'm asking this as a kid who has never played a game of soccer in his life and is an extreme casual fan -- is the term 'marking' defending or is it passing?

Marking is akin to playing man to man defense. When a defender marks a man, he pretty much follows him around and tries to deny service which is the ball being fed to the attacking player. Last night a perfect example of bad marking was Chris Albright. The Mexican attack was pretty much picking on him all night long, like a good QB in the NFL would pick on the bad DB.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
You are a chat crew member and we are all brothers that wasnt the point of my post. To me I would rather have some bandwagon fan jump up and down, than someone who is claiming to be part of a country that they never plan on going to. It was more of a shot to the 50k Americans of Mexican decent that were in the stadium.

Eric Wynalda is horrible. He has no clue. Landon Donovan does this all the time. He looks like the second coming of Ronaldo against concacaff teams, because they play wide open and the marking is poor. The minute he goes up against a physical good marking team, he disappears.

I understand what you mean now. And you know I agree with you as far as Wynalda is concerned.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Don't crucify me, but -- realize I'm asking this as a kid who has never played a game of soccer in his life and is an extreme casual fan -- is the term 'marking' defending or is it passing?

Marking is defending. Marking is the American football equivalent of covering, the basketball equivalent of guarding.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
Marking is akin to playing man to man defense. When a defender marks a man, he pretty much follows him around and tries to deny service which is the ball being fed to the attacking player. Last night a perfect example of bad marking was Chris Albright. The Mexican attack was pretty much picking on him all night long, like a good QB in the NFL would pick on the bad DB.

Mmm, beat me to it.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
I understand what you mean now. And you know I agree with you as far as Wynalda is concerned.

Marking is defending. Marking is the American football equivalent of covering, the basketball equivalent of guarding.

Mmm, beat me to it.

The biggest issue for the US team right now is ironically what Beckham is. Its a midfielder that can feed the ball. Last night gave me headaches watching either some midfielder try and kick a 60 yard pass in the air, or try to constantly thread the needle. At some point just by accident, you would figure that they would learn how to pass on the ground. The feed on the ground is hard to defend. When you lob it in the air everything slows down and you give the defense too much time to get back on the ball. The US has speed, but they never ever use it