US Defeats Mexico 2-0

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
The biggest issue for the US team right now is ironically what Beckham is. Its a midfielder that can feed the ball. Last night gave me headaches watching either some midfielder try and kick a 60 yard pass in the air, or try to constantly thread the needle. At some point just by accident, you would figure that they would learn how to pass on the ground. The feed on the ground is hard to defend. When you lob it in the air everything slows down and you give the defense too much time to get back on the ball. The US has speed, but they never ever use it

Just for the sake of comparison, would you agree that they play like the Bolton team of the last few years. I may be way wrong as I don't watch the US team play much (moreso UEFA) but it seems like they play the long-ball-lets-hope-someone-gets-it type attack.

I know in the World Cup, the biggest problem with the US is that they were going backwards more often than forwards, mostly evident vs the Czechs. They've got speedsters in Beasley and Donovan, but they're not instituting the right offensive attack for success. And IMO, Beasley is gretaly underused by the US. They'd play much better if they got it out on the wings more.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
Just for the sake of comparison, would you agree that they play like the Bolton team of the last few years. I may be way wrong as I don't watch the US team play much (moreso UEFA) but it seems like they play the long-ball-lets-hope-someone-gets-it type attack.

I know in the World Cup, the biggest problem with the US is that they were going backwards more often than forwards, mostly evident vs the Czechs. They've got speedsters in Beasley and Donovan, but they're not instituting the right offensive attack for success. And IMO, Beasley is gretaly underused by the US. They'd play much better if they got it out on the wings more.

They play the long ball and hope, and a bit of the perimeter triangle. However When they play the triangle, they sit back too much and the opposition double teams the pivot man before they can advance the ball. Beasley would break down the line and extend the defense on the wings and would open up the middle more. They have no one at all that can do that on the pitch right now. And another issue is the loss of McBride who was a nice changeup and partner for any striker we would put up.

Donovan should be an attacking mid, not a striker. He is too short and has a horrible first touch most of the time. Adu should be up playing with the senior team. This should be done for a few reasons, one to cap tie the kid. The 2nd is to figure out what you have. Adu should be up front. He has fantastic dribbling skills and can provide something that isnt on the team right now and that is someone who can break down a defender one on one. ow most of the US team thinks they can, but basically all they do is provide one or two weak moves. Maybe a step over and a nutmeg and that is about that. Adu should be sold off to a European team, perferably in the Spanish league or Italian league. the english is where you want to send your defenders and your midfielder, but Spain and Italy is where you send your strikers. N

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
They said during the telecast that a lot of Mexican-Americans will wear their Mexican gear on top and their American gear under and switch to the American gear if the US is winning. How loyal is that?

I heard that but didn't believe it. Never seen or heard of that at all.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I dont know. Here is another thought. What is worse. The casual fan that roots for their country for a show of nationalistic pride. Or someone that was born here, and roots for someone else which is obviously what I see when we watch a US game in America. I never see the red white and blue outnumbering the opponent. So did an army of people here on Visa's or were born in other countries just happen to show up. Maybe. Or is it children of immigrants who seem to love it here, except for when the teams play.

I was born in Ireland. However if the US were to play the Irish I would wear my red white and blue and root for the Americans to beat Ireland. This is the only country I have known. I am an American citizen. Its somewhere that I have been since I was one years old. Dont get me wrong if Ireland is playing anyonje else, I root for the Irish. I own a Duff and Keane jersey. But there are plenty of people in this country that seem to identify with another country, even thought they have never been there for most accounts and forget why we all came here in the first place. My father used to get mad at me when people would ask what I was and would say Irish. He told me, you are an American.

I think part of that is many of us will root for the team our dad rooted for, taught us to root for, and watched as we were growing up. When Mexico plays here in Chicago, you're going to see a lot of green. When Poland plays here, you're going to see a lot of red. 1st and 2nd generation Americans still have connections to their country of heritage, and there's still that sense of pride to be of that particular heritage.

Another factor is that the sport is secondary in this country. There isn't the same history or passion for it that other national teams get. Not much to get excited about. I bet a lot of those same Americans who prefer rooting for another country in soccer still have a favorite NFL, MLB, NBA, and/or college team.

And also, US soccer is kinda bland and boring. Again, not a whole lot to get excited about. I'm not ashamed to say that I'd rather watch Brazil or Italy play...

I consider myself patriotic and luv my country but don't necessarily feel unpatriotic about not really fully supporting the soccer team. It's just a sport and I can kinda equate it to those who prefer to support teams outside of their city or colleges that they didn't attend because maybe they like that particular style of play better or for whatever other reasons...

Do you blame Mexico for not liking us?? Their country is a hell hole, their people are illegally by the millions trying to come here, and after beating up all the other pathetic CONCACAF countries, they are getting beaten over and over again now by us in the one thing they are supposed to be better at. Must suck.