Nancy's big plane request

kapkomet

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
These 2 guys get some bonus points. Especially Flake.
Acting responsibly, like both parties should expect their members to act,
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
This should prove to be an entertaining reply. No doubt the media who wasted a week blaming Pelosi for something she didn't even do will ignore it, but it'll still be fun to see.

This one has a ring of retaliation and if true, I'm not very proud of the Dems. The timing smells.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
This should prove to be an entertaining reply. No doubt the media who wasted a week blaming Pelosi for something she didn't even do will ignore it, but it'll still be fun to see.

I know that this is a snide little payback stunt by Murtha, but still I want to see this done on a much more regular basis. I think the world should know how Congress wastes their money.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
I know that this is a snide little payback stunt by Murtha, but still I want to see this done on a much more regular basis. I think the world should know how Congress wastes their money.

As long as it's let's do better, not "we can waste as much as you". I can't wait for the public to say, you're both wrong; instead of what my side did was wrong, but you did it first.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
As long as it's let's do better, not "we can waste as much as you". I can't wait for the public to say, you're both wrong; instead of what my side did was wrong, but you did it first.

Well, stop and think for a moment...what's the one question that in the media's zeal to make Pelosi look bad, no one seems to be asking? The Sgt. at Arms requests a non-civilian plane that can make the non-stop trip from Washington to San Fran for security reasons...don't exactly want the #3 in the line of succession to become an easy target because a plane needs to refuel. The problem is, the only plane the DOD has which can do that job is a monster plane with fold-out beds, etc. And the DOD has 4 of them.

So here's the questions I think no one is asking; why exactly does the DOD need 4 planes that cost $22,000/hour to operate, and why is that the only plane the DOD has available for government officials who need to cross the country on something other than air force one?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 02:59 AM)
Well, stop and think for a moment...what's the one question that in the media's zeal to make Pelosi look bad, no one seems to be asking? The Sgt. at Arms requests a non-civilian plane that can make the non-stop trip from Washington to San Fran for security reasons...don't exactly want the #3 in the line of succession to become an easy target because a plane needs to refuel. The problem is, the only plane the DOD has which can do that job is a monster plane with fold-out beds, etc. And the DOD has 4 of them.

So here's the questions I think no one is asking; why exactly does the DOD need 4 planes that cost $22,000/hour to operate, and why is that the only plane the DOD has available for government officials who need to cross the country on something other than air force one?

Having worked for an airline before, I seriously doubt it "COSTS" $22K an hour to fly that thing.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
Having worked for an airline before, I seriously doubt it "COSTS" $22K an hour to fly that thing.

They usually assume the costs incurred whether it moves or not in inflating the total 'operating' dollars. The pilots get paid whether the plane flies or sits in a hanger. Just like the daily costs of the war include the servicemen's salaries, but they would be getting that money whether in Iraq or Idaho. However, due to just the size of that thing, I can see it being a hefty amount to keep that thing fueled.

Here's my point. I'd love for the debate to be, we've been too extravagant, we're going to cut this expense. Not, we're going to do the same as the previous. Wouldn't it be great if the Dems and Reps tried to out do each other for the public good? How about, now that we're in power we're going to do better and not take the spoils. But sadly, the Dem faithful will not push the Dems to do that. Instead we'll point to what the GOP did and say what's good for the goose is good for the gander.