Some more to gripe about..

Steff

Next winter??? People are already b****ing that we are going to be cheap next winter. :bang

How about this, lets worry about the 07 season that hasnt been played yet before we start to worry about 08. The team with one of the highest payrolls in baseball is playing this year, and I dont see how that will change by next year. Its not like we are going to go from a 90+ million dollar team to a 40 million dollar team next year with the evil JR pocketting all the profits. Stop with the worries already.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
#1 I am talking about next winter, nobody knows how it is going to turn out. White Sox have not been a major player in top shelf free agents for awhile and with the money they will have after 2006 season they will be able to be a major player, I am just saying history says otherwise. I hope I am wrong but JR crying about salaries this winter, next winter free agents will not be any cheaper! :gosoxretro:

Until you actually prove that statement, history proves you COMPLETELY wrong. The Sox have never cut payroll after a profitable season under JR and company. Period. If you have something that saids otherwise, post it. Until then don't site "history" as being on your side, because it isn't.

I believe we won the world series by making smart financial decision and not believing the hype of "quality" free agents. This shows the unbelievable talent of our GM. If you are going to whine about not getting good free agents go cheer for Jason Marquis and Ted Lilly. The course of action made by KW this offseason is genius.

#1 I am talking about next winter, nobody knows how it is going to turn out. White Sox have not been a major player in top shelf free agents for awhile and with the money they will have after 2006 season they will be able to be a major player, I am just saying history says otherwise. I hope I am wrong but JR crying about salaries this winter, next winter free agents will not be any cheaper! :gosoxretro:

But history DOES NOT say otherwise. The holding group has ALWAYS put ALL black back into the team.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
I believe we won the world series by making smart financial decision and not believing the hype of "quality" free agents. This shows the unbelievable talent of our GM. If you are going to whine about not getting good free agents go cheer for Jason Marquis and Ted Lilly. The course of action made by KW this offseason is genius.

or sanity, whichever term you prefer

Aside from the facts about the historical spending patterns of current White Sox ownership, baseball history is fairly clear in illustrating that throwing big money at free agents frequently does not result into a championship. There are wealthy teams that have signed players to big contracts and been successful but baseball success still depends heavily on sound personell decisions throughout the organization. I think the Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, and KC Royals of the 1980s are prime examples of this fact. Further, the NY Yankees of the mid-80s to early 90s are a great example of a wealthy team that was mismanaged (or overmanaged from the top) and floundered.

With KW saying Sunday they are NOT signing ANY of there free agents before the end of 2006, I feel my prediction of not spending the money will be true. Do they think they will be cheaper in the open market and to not even talk about extensions are BS and are not defendable to me. Stance of the Sox is backwards to me.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(Beltin @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
Aside from the facts about the historical spending patterns of current White Sox ownership, baseball history is fairly clear in illustrating that throwing big money at free agents frequently does not result into a championship. There are wealthy teams that have signed players to big contracts and been successful but baseball success still depends heavily on sound personell decisions throughout the organization. I think the Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, and KC Royals of the 1980s are prime examples of this fact. Further, the NY Yankees of the mid-80s to early 90s are a great example of a wealthy team that was mismanaged (or overmanaged from the top) and floundered.

The White Sox have had a lot of success using free agents to win. Carlton Fisk is one. Floyd Bannister was a huge part of the 1983 team. The WS champions had Dye, AJ, Iguchi, El Duque. All had huge roles at some point. You mentioned the KC Royals of the 80s. You may be surprised to know the Royals had baseball's highest payroll for a while in the early 80's and bounced back to have the highest payroll in baseball in 1990 a year when the Twins had baseball's highest paid player, and the White Sox had baseball's lowest payroll for the 3rd consecutive season, but won 94 games. It may be a little misleading as the differences from the Royals top payroll in 1990 ,$23+ million and the White Sox botton $9.5 million isn't nearly as huge as the gap that there is today. Its interesting to see that the White Sox total payroll between 88-90 was about $23 million. Now 1 player gets that in a season, when a whole team didn't get that for 3 seasons combined.

What you're saying also would mean the White Sox stance on this is foolish. To replace the players lost, since the farm system is not exactly a gold mine right now, would require signing more free agents. I really doubt the White Sox have plans to slash the payroll if all these guys leave, unless ticket sales totally plummett. But I think it may be a bit of arrogance to think players will play for the White Sox for less, just because they won a WS. So KW better be prepared to pay market value or those 90-100 loss seasons he's been trying to avoid will come quickly. The AL Central is only getting better.

Edited by Dick Allen