UFO's here...there...and everywhere!!!

Kid Gleason

On a couple of boards I hit there are quite a few conversations going on about UFO sightings, and this is being triggered by what seems to be a rash of sightings over the past year. I just kind of figured, what the heck, why not let the fine folks of Soxtalk jump on board with the stuff also.

So...anybody here believe...have you seen one...or do you believe it to being a bunch of "hooey". If you don't believe, how do you explain the massive amount of sightings of late?

I believe that the majority of legitimate UFO sightings are cases of technology the government has that is far better than any of us simpletons would recognize, thus causing confusion. Just my 2 cents though, I'm not close minded to the idea of there being aliens or anything, and it's hard to explain the recent rash overall since it's been worldwide.

UFOs absolutely exist – right up until someone who knows what they are looking at and then they are IFOs. Weather balloons, experimental aircraft, etc. are flying objects that are unidentifiable by many who see them.

Now, as to the existence of alien spacecraft. Hooey is probably not strong enough a word. :D

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
I believe that the majority of legitimate UFO sightings are cases of technology the government has that is far better than any of us simpletons would recognize, thus causing confusion. Just my 2 cents though, I'm not close minded to the idea of there being aliens or anything, and it's hard to explain the recent rash overall since it's been worldwide.

Alien spacecraft anywhere...or just having visited us here?

The juries kind of out for me. Since there isn't any documented evidence out there Im not gonna say for sure I think they're out there. But I also firmly believe that the government would do everything in their power to try to cover stuff like that up. I think a lot of the latest sightings really could be from NASA or the Air Force or something though.

I believe it is ignorant and arrogant to believe that we are the only sentient beings in the universe. Wether they visit or not, who knows. But there has been documented sightings throughout history that are next to impossible to explain.

Lets just say that people in the 1800's were not seeing weather balloons and leave it at that

I believe it is ignorant and arrogant to believe that we are the only sentient beings in the universe. Wether they visit or not, who knows. But there has been documented sightings throughout history that are next to impossible to explain.

Lets just say that people in the 1800's were not seeing weather balloons and leave it at that

[/quot]

True, but also a lot more drugs were legal back then so they might of been seeing all kinds of stuff. The oldest person I know, my grandma, talks to people that arent ever around, Im not gonna take her word for it.

Drugs cannot be blamed for everything. I watched a show on the history channel hosted by Peter Jennings (RIP) and there was unidentified sightings in heiroglyphics in the pyramids, in Christopher Columbus' notebook, all throughout human history.

Its more than coincidences

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)

It's not a matter of doubting the existence of extraterrestrial life. In the near-infinite Universe, extraterrestrial microbial life is all but a certainty, and I think the odds favor the existence of higher forms as well.

It is the vastness of the distances that have to be traversed for anything to get to us that makes me doubt we have been visited. Short of alien races accomplishing theoreticals like folding space (with or without the aid of Arrakis spice), wormhole travel, etc., ain't nobody been here to see us. :crying

I saw a UFO up in rural Michigan two summers ago. I really don't like to tell the story in person, because, well, people think I'm nuts. Luckily I was with a family member at the time so atleast there is one person who believes me. Anyway, I guarantee you what I saw was not of this earth. And judging by the actions of others in that area, we were not the only people to see something that night. I'll go ahead and use the typical "I wasn't a believer until I saw one for myself" line.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I saw a UFO up in rural Michigan two summers ago. I really don't like to tell the story in person, because, well, people think I'm nuts. Luckily I was with a family member at the time so atleast there is one person who believes me. Anyway, I guarantee you what I saw was not of this earth. And judging by the actions of others in that area, we were not the only people to see something that night. I'll go ahead and use the typical "I wasn't a believer until I saw one for myself" line.

Thank you.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)

^^^ What he said.

I do believe there is other life out there, however. The universe is far too big, and far too unknown for me not to believe this. Do I think they've visited this planet? Not really, no. The common idea is to think of them as super intelligent, super advanced and what not. I wonder why. Why can't they be dumber than us? Why doesn't anyone write a sci-fi book about us humans going to another planet where the beings are utterly and totally stupid?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
^^^ What he said.

I do believe there is other life out there, however. The universe is far too big, and far too unknown for me not to believe this. Do I think they've visited this planet? Not really, no. The common idea is to think of them as super intelligent, super advanced and what not. I wonder why. Why can't they be dumber than us? Why doesn't anyone write a sci-fi book about us humans going to another planet where the beings are utterly and totally stupid?

You must not read alot of Sci-Fi and watch any Star Trek. ;)

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)

Can we get a little more detail? Sounds very interesting. You can PM me, if you'd prefer.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
Can we get a little more detail? Sounds very interesting. You can PM me, if you'd prefer.

F that. I want to know too.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
You must not read alot of Sci-Fi and watch any Star Trek. ;)

:bang

It's true, though. I don't read a lot of sci-fi. I read The Hitchhikers Guide and they're pretty stupid, but they're still a million times smarter than us. After all, we're played off as mere computer chips in that book...

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
^^^ What he said.

The common idea is to think of them as super intelligent, super advanced and what not. I wonder why. Why can't they be dumber than us?

Honestly though, wouldnt they have to be super intelligent and advanced to travel the large distances to get to us?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Honestly though, wouldnt they have to be super intelligent and advanced to travel the large distances to get to us?

Probably. But I don't think they've been here. Or maybe they got here by accident? Like, they were trying to go somewhere nearby, ending up drifting into eternity, don't need food/water/sleep/etc. to survive and just happened to float here. It's perfectly reasonable for that to happen. No?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
On a couple of boards I hit there are quite a few conversations going on about UFO sightings, and this is being triggered by what seems to be a rash of sightings over the past year. I just kind of figured, what the heck, why not let the fine folks of Soxtalk jump on board with the stuff also.

So...anybody here believe...have you seen one...or do you believe it to being a bunch of "hooey". If you don't believe, how do you explain the massive amount of sightings of late?

I completely believe in UFO's. I may not think we are about to be invaded but I believe in life on other planets. Now whether that would be creatures like us or mere microscopic organisms I don't know, but the solar system is huge with numerous galaxies and I'd have to believe you have life somewhere along the lines. Maybe there are places that are far more high tech than us, maybe there are places far lower high tech but I am very confident there are microrganisms somewhere else in the world at the very least and I wouldn't be shocked if there were civilizations on other planets.

I also believe in ghosts. Have I ever seen a UFO, probably not, although when I was camping one time my friends and I saw something that could have been a UFO. We were in Catalina island for boy scout camp and were doing some star gazing when we noticed something moving (as if it were a plane) very high above us. It was moving very slow across the sky, the light than stopped (it was very far away so it was a light bigger than a star, but nothing to where I could tell you what this actually was) and than it shot across the sky another direction, stopped, than shot across the sky again and stopped and than launched completely past our field of vision (and the speeds we are talking about are amazing speeds, nothing humans are capable of).

Again, I have no proof that it was an actual ufo but I have never seen anything move like that in my life.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
It is the vastness of the distances that have to be traversed for anything to get to us that makes me doubt we have been visited. Short of alien races accomplishing theoreticals like folding space (with or without the aid of Arrakis spice), wormhole travel, etc., ain't nobody been here to see us. :crying

I feel similar sentiments when confronted with the technological advancements required for space travel. For any alien species to successfully venture across the solar system , they'll need to possess a blueprint of how our universe functions. More than merely identifying dark matter and its supposed awesomeness.

What is contradictory in my mind is how unknown creatures can solve the perils of space travel, yet can't hide their spacecrafts from view? Why continue the debate -- just land on the front lawn of the White House. No one could stop them.

However, even with this, I fully believe intelligent lifeforms exist outside our planet. I'm a little less willing, although certaintly open minded, to the idea of UFO's flying around Earth.

It was an History Channel special I viewed recently which lowered my skepticism a little bit. Yeah, I know; don't laugh. It wasn't a feature on UFO's, but USO's -- Unidentified Submerged Objects. There were numerous accounts of sightings aboard the U.S.S. Franklin Roosevelt by a sizable amount of respected naval officers.

Other individuals reported sighting which couldn't be explained as scientific instruments. Eye witness accounts often describe detail colorful, orbital objects diving into and out of the water. I don't know what it is, honestly. Because when you think about it -- the sheer depths of our planet's oceans would be a convenient place for shapeships.

/X Files theme :D

Edited by Flash Tizzle

This whole topic is so interesting to me, i really would like to hear B>W's story about his experience. I personally believe in all that kind of stuff that is of the supernatural sort. There's no way that there isn't another intelligent life form in our large galaxy. The most interesting evidence to me is the hieroglyphics in the pyramids along with the Christopher Columbus stuff. I too, believe in ghosts, this type of stuff fascinates me.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
If they exist, who says that they're light years away? What if they're nothing more than a solar system or two a way....what if programs just couldn't track or find any evidence of beings being that close.

It would take 100,000 years for light signals originating from Earth to reach the outer limits of the Milky Way Galaxy. Nearest solar system is far, far away from here.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
I feel similar sentiments when confronted with the technological advancements required for space travel. For any alien species to successfully venture across the solar system , they'll need to possess a blueprint of how our universe functions. More than merely identifying dark matter and its supposed awesomeness.

What is contradictory in my mind is how unknown creatures can solve the perils of space travel, yet can't hide their spacecrafts from view? Why don't they present themselves in public for everyone to see?

However, even with this, I fully believe intelligent lifeforms exist outside our planet. I'm a little less willing, although certaintly open minded, to the idea of UFO's flying around Earth.

It was an History Channel special I viewed recently which lowered my skepticism a little bit. Yeah, I know; don't laugh. It wasn't a feature on UFO's, but USO's -- Unidentified Submerged Objects. There were numerous accounts of sightings aboard the U.S.S. Franklin Roosevelt by a sizable amount of respected naval officers.

Other individuals reported sighting which couldn't be explained as scientific instruments. Eye witness accounts often describe detail colorful, orbital objects diving into and out of the water. I don't know what it is, honestly. Because when you think about it -- the sheer depths of our planet's oceans would be a convenient place for shapeships.

/X Files theme :D

I saw that too, I believe that was where I saw the story about Christopher Columbus seeing a UFO/USO. It must have been a weeklong UFO theme, because they had those shows on for a whole week. the Peter jennings special was great

If they exist, who says that they're light years away? What if they're nothing more than a solar system or two a way

The closest star other than the sun is 4+ light years away.

The human-made object traveling the fastest at the moment is Voyager 1, which in 30 years has gone 0.002 light years. Those aliens better have faster ships because WE ARE SLOW.

Also, how disappointing would it be to finally get a probe to some other solar system and then find nothing?

Edited by CrimsonWeltall