Comparing the AL Central Starting Rotations

GreatScott82

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
Vazquez is an underachiver. Yes, he has good stuff, and any given outing, can shut down an opposing team, but more often than not, he'll pitch good for the first few innings, and then fall apart.

As a #4 starter, I'm fine with him, but since his time in Montreal, what has he done to make you think he'll be better than a #4 starter ?

You're going to base your judgment of Vazquez on his inability to adjust to a league in 1 year? Wow, so someone isn't perfect in this world.

There's a ton of indications that suggest he'll pitch reasonably well next year, and there's really only his head stopping him from becoming a shutdown ace.

We'll see.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
You're going to base your judgment of Vazquez on his inability to adjust to a league in 1 year? Wow, so someone isn't perfect in this world.

There's a ton of indications that suggest he'll pitch reasonably well next year, and there's really only his head stopping him from becoming a shutdown ace.

We'll see.

What's more likely - Vazquez to pitch how he has the past several seasons (a 4th starter) or get his head straighted out, and develop into a shutdown ace ?

I think we both know what's more likely to happen, but I hope you are right.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
What's more likely - Vazquez to pitch how he has the past several seasons (a 4th starter) or get his head straighted out, and develop into a shutdown ace ?

I don't think either are likely. I think it's more likely that he puts up an ERA in the 4.20-4.60 region with a WHIP in the 1.20 area, being the Sox 2nd or 3rd best starter.

Out of the two mentioned above, I actually think it's more likely he turn into Contreras C.2005 than he is to suck complete ass again.

1. Indians

2. Tigers

3. White Sox

4. Twins

5. Royals

We often talk about "window of opportunities" with professional teams, and I realistically believe 2007 may be the ending of ours.

Unless current starters remain consistent, and our minor league system produces an immediate contributer, I could realistically see us dropping to fourth. Liriano will be back for Minnesota. Detroit has Andrew Miller. Indians have Adam Miller. It's not going to get any easier.

The expectations I place upon whichever prospect replaces Buehrle next year will be ungodly. Can't wait.

I completely agree with this.

Indians pitching staff is gonna be hard to beat. On a show with the fantasy 411 on MLB.com indians GM Mark Shaprio (sp? i duno his name) stated that Cliff Lee could be a big time sleeper canidate, and im on his train. Lee and J. Sowers could be v. good this year.

And I also agree that this may be our last year.

I give the Indians the edge, but the Indians, Tigers, and White sox could all swap positions, its gonna be a great year.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 08:34 AM)
I completely agree with this.

Indians pitching staff is gonna be hard to beat. On a show with the fantasy 411 on MLB.com indians GM Mark Shaprio (sp? i duno his name) stated that Cliff Lee could be a big time sleeper canidate, and im on his train. Lee and J. Sowers could be v. good this year.

And I also agree that this may be our last year.

I give the Indians the edge, but the Indians, Tigers, and White sox could all swap positions, its gonna be a great year.

i also concur

I think we have a great chance to compete this year.

A mediocre chance to compete next year.

And then a year after that, or two years after next year, will have another window of oppertunity due to the pitchers being restocked.

But hey.. you never know in the world of baseball. Can never say never.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
uhh, why?

It's certainly by no means guaranteed, but it's also not out of the question that Verlander should be a topic of some worry for the Liger ship. Before 2006, the most innings he had ever thrown in a season was 130. Last season, counting the playoffs, he went up to 207.2 innings. Those kind of jumps in innings sometimes can be really, really risky for a young arm, especially one that throws as hard as Verlander.

All I know is the White Sox had the greatest rotation ever assembled last season, and they all wound up with inflated ERAs. It will be interesting to see how they respond this season. Hopefully, KW's theory about postseason baseball taking its toll is correct. The only problem with that theory is then how to you prepare a team to go into the postseason year after year after year? If the Sox win the WS in 2007, do you dump all the pitching for 2008, thinking that they will all be too tired?

I can't believe the Sox are counting on Floyd, someone who struggled to get minor league hitters out last season. I would like to see him post a sub 4 ERA in AAA before pitching in the AL. Can I make the prediction now that either KW or Ozzie won't be with the Sox in 2008? I can't see Ozzie managing during a rebuilding period.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
I can't believe the Sox are counting on Floyd, someone who struggled to get minor league hitters out last season. I would like to see him post a sub 4 ERA in AAA before pitching in the AL. Can I make the prediction now that either KW or Ozzie won't be with the Sox in 2008? I can't see Ozzie managing during a rebuilding period.

I don't believe you'll be correct on either account. Williams may be gone by 2009 if this year, next year, and the team thereafter all perform poorly.

I do agree, however, that counting on Floyd to contribute is foolish. His overall numbers may fit those of comparable 5th starters across the league, but in the AL Central, it may not be enough. My prediction is he'll be out of the rotation by midseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)

I agree. As much as i love Ozzie, i just don't think he has it in him to be patient with a younger team. We all saw how he ran out of patience with Brian Anderson, we all saw how him and KW had something strange against McCarthy. It should be interesting to see how he deals with this 5th starter situation...because something tells me there might be another 5th starter black hole come june. Now hopefully Haegar, Logan, or even a younger arm like Gio, Danks, or Broadway can step up if this Floyd character will be a complete bust.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)

Do you go with the team that has proven success, i.e. 2005 White Sox, 2006 Tigers?

Do you go with the team that has upside, i.e. Tigers, Indians, Twins?

Will Kenny Rogers win without the "dirt?" Is Maroth healthy again? Will Verlander bounce back after a huge workload?

Will Cliff Lee finally have the breakout year people are predicting? Will Sabathia report to training camp off the Bob Wickman diet? Is Sowers the real thing?

Can Santana continue his success (I would say, yes)? Will Silva and Bonser pitch up to their potential?

Buehrle is in his contract year and is in good shape. Garland has gone 18 wins in back-to-back seasons. Contreras is a question mark because of health and age. Which Vazquez is going to show up?

I think I'd rank them this way (because I'll go with what I know over what I don't know):

1. Tigers

2. White Sox

3. Indians

4. Twins

5. Royals

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)

On the bright side, the Sox have started the last few seasons without a reliable 5th starter. On the darker side, last year's tank is now our 4th starter.