LF Platoon options

joeynach

With Pods seemingly out for the start of the season or at least not 100% I think we have protected ourself pretty well against a weak LF. Last year no doubt Pods was brutal both in defense and at the plate, and granted we all expect him to rebound and be better who knows what is really going to happen given the injury and all. So we have Ozuna, Fields, Sweeney, Erstad as possible fill ins or replacements. I think its crucial that whoever plays left, and probably leads off be able to hit lefties unlike pods. Lord knows there are plenty of good lefties in our division we see consistently. Lets take a look at some stats.

Career Stats: (Avg, Against RHP, Against LHP, OBP)

Ozuna: .292/.282/.301/.329

Erstad: .286/.293/.271/.341

Pods: .275/.282/.254/.342

Career AAA: (Avg, Against RHP, Against LHP, OBP)

Fields: .306/.291/.341/.380

Sweeney: .297/.301/.287/.350

So there we have some decent insurance options against a year of non production out of pods, granted these guys aren't guarantees. The key is the correct balance of offense, defense, and match ups. IMO fields and ozuna should be the main guys looked at against lefties, especially tough lefties. However both those guys are defensively no where near Erstad. I would say at home in our small LF its not as big of a concern. But we might prefer to see Erstad in LF in bigger outfields like KC, Seattle, Detroit, etc even against a left hander. Im fine with any of these guys against RHP since they seem to fair all in the same boat, once again with the exception of defense. Overall I think we will be fine without Pods if need be. Although I would love to see Pods return to his 05 sox form, that would be absolutely huge for this lineup.

Edited by joeynach

The best possible option for the leadoff spot next year only regarding current personel would be Mackowiak starting in LF and leading off against righties and Iguchi taking over in the #1 spot against lefties with Erstad starting in LF.

I'm done seeing Ozuna play LF, there's no use for it this team has enough outfielders so that we never have to see him butcher another flyball out there again. Whenever Pablo does get in the lineup while giving someone in the infield a day off, I'd like to see him takeover the leadoff spot on those days.

I don't want to see either of Sweeney or Fields to start the season and Sweeney not at all until '08.

Jerry Owens will never be anything more than a 4th OF for a bad team.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
The best possible option for the leadoff spot next year only regarding current personel would be Mackowiak starting in LF and leading off against righties and Iguchi taking over in the #1 spot against lefties with Erstad starting in LF.

I'm done seeing Ozuna play LF, there's no use for it this team has enough outfielders so that we never have to see him butcher another flyball out there again. Whenever Pablo does get in the lineup while giving someone in the infield a day off, I'd like to see him takeover the leadoff spot on those days.

I don't want to see either of Sweeney or Fields to start the season and Sweeney not at all until '08.

Jerry Owens will never be anything more than a 4th OF for a bad team.

You say you want Iguchi leading off against lefties. I dont think thats a good idea. Take a look at these stats.

Year/BA/BA-RHP/BA-LHP/OBP-RHP/OBP-LHP

05/.278/.279/.274/.337/.353

06/.281/.298/.252/.363/.335

For some reason which I cant really explain Iguchi was awful against lefties last year. With pods, iguchi, thome being 1,2,3 in the lineup last year when we faced a lefty no wonder we struggled. If he returns to show better splits in 07 great but if hes like how he was last year he cant lead off against LHP, heck he shouldn't even be hitting 2nd with those splits.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
You say you want Iguchi leading off against lefties. I dont think thats a good idea. Take a look at these stats.

Year/BA/BA-RHP/BA-LHP/OBP-RHP/OBP-LHP

05/.278/.279/.274/.337/.353

06/.281/.298/.252/.363/.335

For some reason which I cant really explain Iguchi was awful against lefties last year. With pods, iguchi, thome being 1,2,3 in the lineup last year when we faced a lefty no wonder we struggled. If he returns to show better splits in 07 great but if hes like how he was last year he cant lead off against LHP, heck he shouldn't even be hitting 2nd with those splits.

Out of the guys currently on the 25 man roster with a realistic shot at the leadoff spot he's the only one who can hit lefties even a little bit, the other guys are just ridiculously bad against southpaws.

Iguchi will be fine vs Lefties. I wouldn't mind seeing him leadoff, but it seems like Ozzie either wants him at #2 or down in the order.

The funny thing is everyone makes a big deal about leadoff, and yet that spot is only guaranteed to leadoff once a game. I would just take high OBP guys ahead of the big 3.