Sox Sign Eduardo Perez

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
We'll always have the bottom of the 9th in game 2 of the ALCS.

If he just steals bases in those times, he can stay.

Right now though, I'm trying to figure out the bench.

Erstad

Mackowiak

Hall

Cintron

Ozuna

Perez

plus the 9 starters, and an 11 man staff - that's 26. Are they assuming Pods is going to be gone a while? Ozuna released? Cintron traded? Perez acting simply as insurance? Pods traded?

(pleeeeeeease be #4)

Because if it is #4, I'd be content with Mackowiak and Erstad out in LF with Perez playing about 20-30 games out there too.

(it's probly not #4, but a guy can hope)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like we now have a legitimate back-up for every single position.

CF - Erstad

LF/RF - Mackowiak/Erstad and possibly even Ozuna at times for LF (this is all when Pods is healthy again, of course)

3B - Cintron/Mackowiak

SS - Cintron

2B - Ozuna/Cintron

1B - Mackowiak/Perez/Thome (if it's really necessary)

C - Hall

Still though, there are 26 players and only 25 spots.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
It seems like we now have a legitimate back-up for every single position.

CF - Erstad

LF/RF - Mackowiak/Erstad and possibly even Ozuna at times for LF (this is all when Pods is healthy again, of course)

3B - Cintron/Mackowiak

SS - Cintron

2B - Ozuna/Cintron

1B - Mackowiak/Perez/Thome (if it's really necessary)

C - Hall

Still though, there are 26 players and only 25 spots.

If Perez makes the team, I don't think we will see Thome at 1B except maybe in interleague play.

You could also add guys like Perez, Mackowiak, and Hall backing up Thome at DH. So there seems to be enough ABs to go around.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
If he just steals bases in those times, he can stay.

Right now though, I'm trying to figure out the bench.

Erstad

Mackowiak

Hall

Cintron

Ozuna

Perez

plus the 9 starters, and an 11 man staff - that's 26. Are they assuming Pods is going to be gone a while? Ozuna released? Cintron traded? Perez acting simply as insurance? Pods traded?

(pleeeeeeease be #4)

Because if it is #4, I'd be content with Mackowiak and Erstad out in LF with Perez playing about 20-30 games out there too.

(it's probly not #4, but a guy can hope)

i dont think theres any way they release pablo. at least i hope not! im thinking they think pods (maybe even uribe) wont be ready for the start of the season if i had to guess.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
i dont think theres any way they release pablo. at least i hope not! im thinking they think pods (maybe even uribe) wont be ready for the start of the season if i had to guess.

As much as I absolutely hate to say it, Pablo looks to be the odd man out so far. If he's let go, it'll be Herbert Perry all over for me.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
I can't imagine them letting Pablo go. What an awful move that would be. But I don't think there is anyway that happens however.

There's no chance that they trade/release Pablo. If anything, I could see them trading Mackowiak. I think the only chance Perez makes the opening day roster is if Pods is on the DL.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
There's no chance that they trade/release Pablo. If anything, I could see them trading Mackowiak. I think the only chance Perez makes the opening day roster is if Pods is on the DL.

Really, that should be the answer. Is there anybody who doubts that an Erstad/Mackowiak/Perez platoon -- and later in the season, perhaps Fields and/or Sweeney -- couldn't do better than Podsednik?

Podsednik becomes quite useless with this signing. He's more or less relegated to one position; he'd be a disaster in center and is third (fourth if Mack is before him) on the depth chart there, his arm is waaaaay too weak for RF, and he's only a bit above average in LF. Perez can play first and probably fake a LFer -- but that really wouldn't be a big problem so long as he continued with his lefty mashing ability.

Damn... I'd love to see the Sox ditch Podsednik and his ~$3 million for a live arm.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Looks like KW has recognised our weakness against tough LHP against the likes of Santana, Sabathia etc. and has decided to do something about it.

As Keith said, trade Podsednik. Trade his ass with a prospect for Linebrink.

Get Perez on the bench, work a Machowiak / Erstad rotation in LF.

Too many times we have laid a goose egg against these tough lefties. Now with Perez and Hall possibly in the lineup, it gives us 2 guys who can hit lefties and OPS's over .800 against them (I think Hall has an .800OPS against lefties, but not 100% sure).

In those tight ballgames, having 2 extra guys who can hit LHP well could make a big difference in a tight division race when it's all said and done.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
Looks like KW has recognised our weakness against tough LHP against the likes of Santana, Sabathia etc. and has decided to do something about it.

As Keith said, trade Podsednik. Trade his ass with a prospect for Linebrink.

Get Perez on the bench, work a Machowiak / Erstad rotation in LF.

Too many times we have laid a goose egg against these tough lefties. Now with Perez and Hall possibly in the lineup, it gives us 2 guys who can hit lefties and OPS's over .800 against them (I think Hall has an .800OPS against lefties, but not 100% sure).

In those tight ballgames, having 2 extra guys who can hit LHP well could make a big difference in a tight division race when it's all said and done.

Problem is that they're both lefties.

And I must admit, I really questioned KW's return on Garcia and his trading of McCarthy...but I'm really starting to like the look of this team going into 2008 and beyond. And if he can turn Pods into something decent and have a platoon in LF, I'd be ecstatic.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
Unless you're willing to give the Padres Fields or Sweeney, Towers would die laughing at that proposal.

I don't believe you'd have to give up a prospect that was THAT good.

Remember than Linebrink has been rumored to been dealt for about the past 6-9 months now.

The Rowand for Linebrink rumors were obviously coming from Philly's end, because now they've realised that Rowand is nothing more than a good 4th OF.

San Diego needs a leadoff hitter to replace Roberts, Marcus Giles hits a lot better at the #2 spot.

Is Pods an everyday OF? No, but they have guys who can platoon with him, and they may think that Pods could rebound in the NL.

Rowand probably has slightly more value than Pods at this stage, hence why'd you have to throw in a prospect. But I don't think it has to be one of those guys, especially after Linerbik only put up a 3.74 ERA in 2006 (even though I think he'll rebound this season).

Very surprised by this signing. The first thing that popped into my head was his homer against Buehrle on opening day. I think the Sox will wait and see how Mack, Pods, Brian and Perez all play in ST before possibly moving Pods to the DL, Anderson to AAA, Mack to another team, or seeing if Perez will be Bucky Jacobsen's replacement.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
Problem is that they're both lefties.

And I must admit, I really questioned KW's return on Garcia and his trading of McCarthy...but I'm really starting to like the look of this team going into 2008 and beyond. And if he can turn Pods into something decent and have a platoon in LF, I'd be ecstatic.

Hence why bringing in a quality RHH OF was a need for mine going into the off-season, and why it's a shame Erstad isn't a RHH.

Also I think that makes Mackowiak available in the right deal, although his versatility if he was actually used in those spots, makes him a very valuable commodity to have off the bench.

And I agree with your last statement. It may not have looked all that promising early, but KW has done 3 things this off-season.

Get good young pitching to replace the guys in our rotation over the next few years, fix some small needs such as hitting LHP with good bench guys and backup players, and improving the pen.

i like the signing but im very confused as to how he fits in if at all....

If you ask me, i think ozuna may become expendible, but i have no idea. he really isnt even the second option at any position now, (maybe third, but with mack not playing CF i think we'll see alot of him at 3rd in ST) ....his speed is difficult to replace but maybe management was impressed by cintron's ability to swipe a bag? plus erstad's a decent base runner. management has also said though that they want to go with OBP instead of speed, which is a good idea with the thunder in our lineup. I love pablo, but perez honestly adds more with his bat than ozuna does with his legs, so i think it makes most sense for pablo to go....besides if someone goes down later on in the year, speed guys can be found (ie owens maybe even sweeney)...guys who can hit lefties like perez are harder to find.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
Very surprised by this signing. The first thing that popped into my head was his homer against Buehrle on opening day. I think the Sox will wait and see how Mack, Pods, Brian and Perez all play in ST before possibly moving Pods to the DL, Anderson to AAA, Mack to another team, or seeing if Perez will be Bucky Jacobsen's replacement.

That's something that has come into my mind now regarding Anderson.

It almost seems he's really going to have to produce from the get go in ST, because if he doesn't, with these guys that they've brought in, he could find himself down in Charlotte sooner rather than later (although I certainly hope that isn't the case).