Sox Sign Eduardo Perez

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
i like the signing but im very confused as to how he fits in if at all....

I like the signing too for a few reasons. #1 being, even before this signing I would have been a little surprised if Pods were to play in April, and a lot surprised if he were to play in the first couple weeks of the year. Once he's cleared to workout, then he can start to get himself in shape, and then he can start "spring training" if it's still going on. Last year, recovering from surgery all offseason, he couldn't much get in shape for spring training, injured himself, and basically had April in the majors as his spring training. They've said they'll be extremely cautious with him. There's no point in putting him in the lineup if he's not in prime running shape.

Also, it's a minor league deal. Does anyone know, does this mean that despite his years of MLB service, we can play him in the minors whenever we want?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
If you ask me, i think ozuna may become expendible, but i have no idea.

i I love pablo, but perez honestly adds more with his bat than ozuna does with his legs, so i think it makes most sense for pablo to go.

For a variety of reasons, I really don't think we're getting rid of Pablo. Including:

2006 Perez vs. LHP 153 AB .834 OPS .333 OBP

2006 Ozuna vs. LHP 143 AB .826 OPS .358 OBP

Perez doesn't hardly add more with his bat than Pablo does with his bat. Then, take into account Pablo's speed, ability to play positions in the field that are not first base, and being our only right handed backup outfielder.

One of these is a luxury that we can't afford to use a roster spot for:

3 1B/DHs

or

Pods/Erstad/Mackowiak

We will see how it plays out. Pods or Mack could be traded. Pods could come back and play great putting Perez in the minors only to come up to fill in for an injured player.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
Perez doesn't hardly add more with his bat than Pablo does with his bat. Then, take into account Pablo's speed, ability to play positions in the field that are not first base, and being our only right handed backup outfielder.

Ozuna's only real plus at this point is his speed. He's third (or worse) on the depth chart at every position as of right now -- behind Cintron at 2B and SS, behind Mackowiak and Cintron at 3B, behind Erstad and Mackowiak at all the OF spots.

Plus, while their OPS' vs lefties were similar last year, I'd venture to guess that Perez' is more sustainable than Ozuna's. Afterall, Ozuna really wasn't a good player for the Sox past July -- in his final 103 ABs, he put up a .247/.284/.371 line.

Then again, if it were up to me, Ozuna wouldn't be the one packing -- Podsednik would be. He's so useless to the team at this point.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)
That's something that has come into my mind now regarding Anderson.

It almost seems he's really going to have to produce from the get go in ST, because if he doesn't, with these guys that they've brought in, he could find himself down in Charlotte sooner rather than later (although I certainly hope that isn't the case).

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I too hope BA sticks because that will mean he's hitting. I don't care about his numbers, but what he does with his at bats. Hit .250, take a walk, move runners, bunt -think when your at the plate Brian!

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)
That's something that has come into my mind now regarding Anderson.

It almost seems he's really going to have to produce from the get go in ST, because if he doesn't, with these guys that they've brought in, he could find himself down in Charlotte sooner rather than later (although I certainly hope that isn't the case).

If Anderson embarrasses himself in Spring Training, carrying into the beginning of the season, it's his own fault. At which point I won't criticize whichever decision management makes concerning his playing time.

Guillen certaintly hasn't given him a chance; I understand. But if you're unable to show immediate improvements in spring training against scrubs and prospects, with some major league pitching sprinkled in, the excuses end.

Although I'm sure they'll be understanding. Spring Traning appearances for positional players cover, what, 50-60 AB's? What I'm suggesting is if he has under 8 hits and 20+ strikeouts, we can't blame anyone but Anderson for what happens afterwards. He has to be ready to perform right from the beginning.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 08:17 PM)
there was never a chance the Sox went with 12 pitchers

1) Buerhle

2) Contrereas

3) Garland

4) Vazquez

5) Floyd ??

6) Jenks

7) MacDougal

8) Thorton

9) Masset

10) Aardsma

11) Sisco

There's no chance that Charlie Haegar can make the team out of the bullpen ???

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
1) Buerhle

2) Contrereas

3) Garland

4) Vazquez

5) Floyd ??

6) Jenks

7) MacDougal

8) Thorton

9) Masset

10) Aardsma

11) Sisco

There's no chance that Charlie Haegar can make the team out of the bullpen ???

How many bullpen arms does the team lead by a manager that goes to the bullpen less than anyone in baseball.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
As of right now, I will be surprised if Sisco is with the big club in 07.

Do you think that's Sicso will spend the 07 season being converted to a starter ?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
How many bullpen arms does the team lead by a manager that goes to the bullpen less than anyone in baseball.

I'm not sure, but if we have an ineffective or, unproven at least, 5th starter in Floyd, and a 4th starter who can get blown up at any time, I wouldn't be shocked if they went to 12 pitchers.

Early in the season, though, with the off-days, it may not be necessary to use 12 pitchers, but once they start playing 6 or 7 days a week, it wouldn't be shocking to me.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
Do you think that's Sicso will spend the 07 season being converted to a starter ?

I'm not sure, but if we have an ineffective or, unproven at least, 5th starter in Floyd, and a 4th starter who can get blown up at any time, I wouldn't be shocked if they went to 12 pitchers.

Early in the season, though, with the off-days, it may not be necessary to use 12 pitchers, but once they start playing 6 or 7 days a week, it wouldn't be shocking to me.

I remember plenty of times that we could of pulled a tired Freddy Garcia mid season, or a Vazquez who had 6th inning issues and still Ozzie kept his formula. Starting pitchers go to X inning. This was with those 2 giving up 6 and 7 runs. Ozzie doesnt use his pen a lot, Unless Floyd gives up 16 runs, he aint coming out of the game.

and a 3rd starter whose ERA was in the 6.50 range at the end of May, and a 2nd starter who was the worst starter in baseball in the second half of last year, and a 1st starter who is 62.

The rotation is questionable up and down.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
and a 3rd starter whose ERA was in the 6.50 range at the end of May, and a 2nd starter who was the worst starter in baseball in the second half of last year, and a 1st starter who is 62.

I love how you always stick up for your boy. :cheers

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 01:50 AM)
I really never looked at Sisco's minor league numbers until earlier tonight. I didn't realize he made the jump from High A to the majors, completley skipping double and triple A. It was a Logan-esc jump to the majors, and a stop in AAA for Sisco might be the best thing for him.

I really think that move could have been one of the true steals of this off-season.

Wasn't he rule 5 from the Cubs?

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
Also, it's a minor league deal. Does anyone know, does this mean that despite his years of MLB service, we can play him in the minors whenever we want?

Technically yes, but usually with these kind of deals there is a handshake agreement that Perez could look for other employment, and be able to request a release if we aren't going to keep him on the 25 man roster.

God I hope so. If we do this right, he could be competing for replacing Buehrle in 2008.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
Breaking out the quote machine tonight. Oz has some MAJOR faults, but I do think he has learned and gotten better in certain area's, and the use of the bullpen could be an area that Ozzie improves on this upcoming season.

I believe Ozzie and Kenny got some of "Their guys" this off-season, and you might see a quicker hook for the starters....

The more I see of it, the more I think the bullpen was used so little because of how bad it was, not because Ozzie has a man-crush on his starters. He obviously had zero confidence in anyone down there for the middle innings, which is why Kenny completely remade the pen in the last year. It will be interesting to see how he uses it now.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 12:40 AM)
Sisco converting to a SP would really help in '08/'09.

I really think starting is this kids calling. The rule 5 draft just screwed up years of his growth.

I've never seen a whole bunch of people get excited over a career journeyman with a lifetime .247 batting average. Sure he hits left-handed pitching well, but is he really worth a spot over Pablo, Podsednik, etc. as is being said? I'll have to come back from class and read this thread because right now, even with the whole Thome can't hit lefties thing, am not as hyped as everybody else.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 08:08 AM)
I've never seen a whole bunch of people get excited over a career journeyman with a lifetime .247 batting average. Sure he hits left-handed pitching well, but is he really worth a spot over Pablo, Podsednik, etc. as is being said? I'll have to come back from class and read this thread because right now, even with the whole Thome can't hit lefties thing, am not as hyped as everybody else.

No, but you have to keep in mind that Pods has become pretty much the most hated White Sox player of this decade. I'm tempted to have Deploderer make me a Kalapse-like sig with a Pods baseball card that says on the front of it "I hate you to motherf***er!"

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)

No doubt...but I think Guillen is more likely to allow Contreras, Garland and Buerhle to work through their problems, and you can't go to the bullpen in the 5th inning every game.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
No, but you have to keep in mind that Pods has become pretty much the most hated White Sox player of this decade. I'm tempted to have Deploderer make me a Kalapse-like sig with a Pods baseball card that says on the front of it "I hate you to motherf***er!"

I find it incredibly interesting that the player that hit one of the biggest, and most meaningful, HRs in White Sox history could be the most hated in the similar time frame that he did it. And really what he did that entire postseason.

I don't want to argue that it's not valid or incorrect or anything like that, but I just find it incredibly interesting, especially considering he has pretty much blamed any struggles on himself, been a good team guy, not caused any trouble off the field, etc.

It's just interested to see him called the most hated White Sox player of this decade.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)

In our division, it's vital to have guys who can hit lefty pitching. You wouldn't hear one complaint from me if Perez was the DH against every LHP, and Thome was on the bench. I know it won't happen like that, but it would improve our offense against LHP. Last year, I believe the Sox were like 3 and 12 in games started by Johan, C.C., and Kenny Rogers. Those guys are great, but if you're going to win your division, you can't be dominated like that by the top pitcher of your rivals.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
I find it incredibly interesting that the player that hit one of the biggest, and most meaningful, HRs in White Sox history could be the most hated in the similar time frame that he did it. And really what he did that entire postseason.

I don't want to argue that it's not valid or incorrect or anything like that, but I just find it incredibly interesting, especially considering he has pretty much blamed any struggles on himself, been a good team guy, not caused any trouble off the field, etc.

It's just interested to see him called the most hated White Sox player of this decade.

I actually agree with you that it's fascinating how much some of us hate him after 2005. Just think how much it must suck for Houston to think this guy is good! Looking forward to sparing with you in 50 days or so.

Well he kills lefties, and when I yelled "please don't hit a homer off Buehrle again!" at him from the 3rd row during pregame stretches last June when he was with Cleveland, he laughed at me and waved....plus I believe he was the guy that fell running out of the box and then took a bow to a laughing and cheering crowd last September for Seattle. Thus, it's pretty clear he's a real good guy, and with that and how he hits lefties, hell maybe we'll get something out of him.

Edited by whitesoxfan101