26 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Creedence Clearwater Revival
    • Lynyrd Skynard
    • Allman Brothers
    • .38 Special
    • The Band
    • ZZ Top

Way too many bands here that ought not be.

Eagles are California Rock/Country/Folk. And the one song that maybe has a sound that could put them in the category for a brief moment wasn't even mentioned. Seven Bridges Road. For shame, Tex. . . :D

The Band and CCR aren't southern rock, thoug they have country and bluesy southern influences to be sure.

Bog Seger?!!?!! The man is from Detroit and the music is very much working class Midwest Roots Rock.

All of that I can forgive. What I can't abide is the lack of any mention whatsoever of Steve Morse or the Dixie Dregs. A Steve Morse guitar solo is orders of magnitude more interesting than the same lick repeated 35 times ala most Rossington and Collins solos.

If you are not familiar with them, limewire up some Dregs and you will be amazed.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
Incorrect. Limp Bizkit spent several years chewing Faith No More's worn jock. They were no more southern than they were good.

PS. George Thorogood = southern rock. Period.

Thorogood, IMO, is a strange mixed up breed of Rockabilly and Boogie. I don't consider him Southern Rock, no matter how many mulleted rednecks love him.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
The Band and CCR aren't southern rock, thoug they have country and bluesy southern influences to be sure.

They were each considered southern rock in a Rock 'n Roll class I took last semester, so I've considered them that.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
Incorrect. Limp Bizkit spent several years chewing Faith No More's worn jock. They were no more southern than they were good.

PS. George Thorogood = southern rock. Period.

The choice was Shania Twain or Limp Bizkit, I'll take Limp Bizkit

QUOTE(Balance @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
Cowboy Mouth!!!

Nice call! I've seen them live a few times. Excellent band.

:cheers

Who the hell is The Band?

Someone mentioned Molly Hatchett. Flirtin with Disaster was a solid contribution. Would April Wine fit? I know I would know many of their songs, but off the top of my head I can only think of Just Between You and Me.

What about Little River Band? Thoughts on where they fit??

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 10:18 AM)
Just because you're not from the South, doesn't mean you can't sing it.

Who's more Southern, Limp Bizkit from Jacksonville or Shania Twain from Canada?

What if you ARE from the south, but don't sing it. REM anyone?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
The choice was Shania Twain or Limp Bizkit, I'll take Limp Bizkit

I'll take Shania Twain.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
What if you ARE from the south, but don't sing it. REM anyone?

Then again, coming out of Athens is very different than coming out of anywhere else in Georgia. I don't think the B-52s are making any of the southern rock hall of fame lists either. :D

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:54 AM)
I'll take Shania Twain.

As an example of Southern Rock??

I always thought of Southern Rock as being well, rock. Loud and obnoxious like the General Lee with the Dukes boys jumpin' out the windows. Blaring out of open truck windows by guys with Confederate battle flag bumper stickers. I don't hear Eagles, Little River Band, etc. To me, Sweet Home Alabama is the quintessential southern rock tune. Gives an old man a tear in his eye and young guys an excuse to re fight the civil war.

I've been listening to Urge's Southern Rock station and hearing a lot of Dylan as well. And Charlie Daniels, when he was good.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 08:18 AM)
As an example of Southern Rock??

I always thought of Southern Rock as being well, rock. Loud and obnoxious like the General Lee with the Dukes boys jumpin' out the windows. Blaring out of open truck windows by guys with Confederate battle flag bumper stickers. I don't hear Eagles, Little River Band, etc. To me, Sweet Home Alabama is the quintessential southern rock tune. Gives an old man a tear in his eye and young guys an excuse to re fight the civil war.

I've been listening to Urge's Southern Rock station and hearing a lot of Dylan as well. And Charlie Daniels, when he was good.

Charlie Daniels is about the only country music I have ever listened too. He actually is a really nice guy in person. I met him at a county fair show a few years back.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
Charlie Daniels is about the only country music I have ever listened too. He actually is a really nice guy in person. I met him at a county fair show a few years back.

Well Texsox likes both kinds of music, Country and Western(1). Country was invented in the good ol' US of A. It isn't some hippy dippy liberal banging banging long haired jungle music Britain invention( 2). That makes Texsox an American and makes you, makes you, well it makes you a fan of far out!(3)

References used in the creation of this post.

(1) Blue Brothers

(2) Father of Texsox

(3) Disco Demolition