Windows Media players

Jimbo's Drinker

I had the older version of windows media player and all files were working fine. Then i downloaded the newer version of IE and Windows meida player and files just dont buffer, they never start. What the heck happened? It was saying codec problem....or should i just reprorgam my computer to the way it looked 2 days ago before the updates?

thanks,

There are a couple really good PC Medics around here who can probably help. Basically IIRC a Codec basically decodes the files. So instead of having a MP3 program, a WMV program, etc. you can have one program that can play multiple formats. My guess would be that your codecs are somehow lost, so Media Player no longer knows how to translate a given extension to something it can play.

Why it happened now is another guess. Perhaps it is looking for them

here

and you have them stored over

there

Google the error.

Glad it worked.

When anyone asks about upgrading any programs I always ask why? If the previous version is working fine, and you are happy, why change? There are all sorts of potential problems with hardware, conflicts with other programs, etc. It just isn't always worth the hassle.

When it is my machine, I always update. I usually like being the crash test dummy for new releases. Beta? Doesn't scare me, send me the alpha release. :D

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 09:07 AM)
Im sorry, i dont use my head sometimes...i like the shiny buttons.

No, you did exactly what I do, always download the new stuff. I'm pissed I haven't received my Vista upgrade from Dell yet.