Tim Hardaway

Brian

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
He just killed any chance he had of ever returning to television.

"I hate gays so I guess I am a homophobe."

wow

Did you hear the sound bite? It is really nasty and it just poured out. No egging on from Lebatard.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
Did you hear the sound bite? It is really nasty and it just poured out. No egging on from Lebatard.

Yeah I saw it on SportsCenter, Lebatard just let Hardaway hang himself. All I remember Lebatard saying was "You know what you're saying is outright bigotry right? You sound like a homophobe." or something along those lines, Hardaway took it from there.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
When you've gone that far, why bother with an apology? That just makes you a liar on top of everything else.

Not really. His apology per SportsCenter said he shouldn't have said it, not that he didn't believe what he said.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 12:31 AM)
Not really. His apology per SportsCenter said he shouldn't have said it, not that he didn't believe what he said.

Yeah, that's true, his apology didn't say much. But, as eager as he was, I don't even believe that he was sorry for saying it. You have to know what the reaction is gonna be. To go as far as he did, I have to think you're dying to get just that reaction.

Hardaway has been taking part in NBA festivities ahead of Sunday's All-Star game in Las Vegas and attended an NBA Cares outreach event at a city YMCA with Knicks forward Jerome Williams on Tuesday.

Junkyard Dawg is still in the league? Who knew?

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

translated: Man, the NBA doesnt want to pay me for appearances anymore so I better get this over with

Hardaway should have known better, it isnt rocket science anymore that what you say to a camera is going to be dissected, criticized and repeated within minutes of it being said.

I don't agree with, nor condone what Haradway had to say. It was nasty, mean, bigoted, etc. But I would've had more respect for him if he hadn't apologized. At least he spoke the truth. He wasn't PC, nor sugarcoated his response. His remarks showed why professional athletes don't "out" themselves until after they've retired. And his apology really wasn't an apology. The only thing he apologized for was making the remarks, not that what he said wasn't how he really felt. If you're going to make comments like the ones he made, you need to be ready for the backlash you will receive.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 09:51 AM)
If this was hollywood they could just send him to rehab and everyone would forget it ever happened.

Or he could blame his parents. Whoops, sorry, that was the 90's.

I applaud him for his candor. I vilify him for his ignorance.

QUOTE(spawn @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
I don't agree with, nor condone what Haradway had to say. It was nasty, mean, bigoted, etc. But I would've had more respect for him if he hadn't apologized. At least he spoke the truth. He wasn't PC, nor sugarcoated his response. His remarks showed why professional athletes don't "out" themselves until after they've retired. And his apology really wasn't an apology. The only thing he apologized for was making the remarks, not that what he said wasn't how he really felt. If you're going to make comments like the ones he made, you need to be ready for the backlash you will receive.

This is not an excuse! Hate-filled speech on any subject cannot be sanatized by wrapping and cleaning itself in the "Non-PC, Just Speaking his Mind" towel. Chris Rock can be Politically Incorrect. Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, Dennis Miller...even some pundits can be non-PC.

You cannot deflect the seriousness of one's hate-filled rants by playing the "He spoke his mind. He's entitiled to his own thoughts" card

There is no respect for him, or for what he said, regardless of his apology.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

And he's a Chicago guy...I've lost a lot of respect for him...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
People/reporters want athletes to speak the truth. Well even if what he said was well...... with the amount of crap he is being given the new answer to everything will be no comment. If people want honest answers from these guys you cant villify them if their beliefs arent popular.

Yes you can.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
And he's a Chicago guy...I've lost a lot of respect for him...

Yes you can.

yes you can, but than don't expect athletes to tell the truth in the future, if you want to truth.... its ok to disagree with what someone says but to villify them for their personal beliefs just is going to get athletes in the future to either lie about it or say no comment.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
I really have no problem with what he said.....its his right as a citizen.

You have no problem with rhetoric that is filled with such hatred?!?

I'm sorry but his "rights as a citizen" in NO WAY condones and excuses his actions.

Its about time we stop using that as an excuse. It is HATE speech. Pure and Simple.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
yes you can, but than don't expect athletes to tell the truth in the future, if you want to truth.... its ok to disagree with what someone says but to villify them for their personal beliefs just is going to get athletes in the future to either lie about it or say no comment.

Please do not dilute his comments. There is a strong difference in "personal beliefs" and what he said.

He didn't say he liked the Rolling Stones over the Beatles. He didn't say he was Catholic and not a Baptist.

He said "I HATE GAYS"

Thats not a perosnal belief...that outright hatred.

Edited by RibbieRubarb