Tim Hardaway

Brian

As much as I wish things like this weren't being said, he surely has the right to say it. People say what they want to say, and people believe what they want to believe. Personally, while I think that it is despicable that he'd use a word as strong as "hate" for something that is harmless and offers absolutely no threat to his well being, at the very least he will suffer some consequences for saying it. He can continue to say it or think it all he wants, as it is his right. I just hope that it somehow brings more awareness to the ugliness of such bigotry.

I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that saying "I hate Gays" is more respectful than being "PC".

And while he does have the right to say what he wants, I think sometimes hateful feelings are best left being kept to ourselves. Ask Tim Hardaway in a couple days if he would have rather taken the politically correct road.

Edited by KevHead0881

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
There have been several threads attacking Black leaders or public figures of being racist due to the interpretation of comments they made. Never in those threads did I read anyone supporting their right to make those statements. It was pretty much..."Shut up!"

great point.

I was searching for the thread about the Greys Anatomy star who has been villified for speaking his mind about a co-worker to see if there were any parallels in the conversation, but I cannot seem to find it. I think it is worth bringing into the discussion though. Although Isiah Washington has decided to seek help for his bigotry, which should be noted.

Idonno I guess I tend to different from most people. Id rather someone be honest with me than lie about something. And I know how racism feels especially after 9/11 and I still feel that way. And if someone is racist thats ok to me to, as long as they dont go parading around and trying to get other people to join them as well. For example, my best friend's dad is very racist, but he doesnt force it into his son's/wife.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
Idonno I guess I tend to different from most people. Id rather someone be honest with me than lie about something. And I know how racism feels especially after 9/11 and I still feel that way. And if someone is racist thats ok to me to, as long as they dont go parading around and trying to get other people to join them as well. For example, my best friend's dad is very racist, but he doesnt force it into his son's/wife.

I'd rather people be honest too, but not that honest. Some of your deepest prejudices and beliefs should be known either by no one or just a select few. Tim Hardaway's views about gays is one that should. Michael Richards on blacks. Mel Gibson on jewish people. I don't want to know about it, and I'm saddened that I do.

If a sports player wants to say his coach sucks at coaching, he hates the refs, or his teammate's an idiot, that's fine by me. However, I really don't want to listen to you spew hate towards an entire group of people, because that is crossing the line between a humorous rant and a disgusting, embarrassing, and prejudicial speech.

Yeah, and if he just went out in public and said it would be one thing. To me since he was answering a question it was a little different. Not 2 mention I bet thats how the majority of NBA players feel about it. Hell I bet some people in this thread saying omg how could Hardaway say that share the same feelings.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
Yeah, and if he just went out in public and said it would be one thing. To me since he was answering a question it was a little different. Not 2 mention I bet thats how the majority of NBA players feel about it. Hell I bet some people in this thread saying omg how could Hardaway say that share the same feelings.

so he had to go on about a 2 minute rant talking about how much he doesn't like gays?

He could have simply said "I want no part of it" and been done.

I couldn't believe Hardaway's lack of self-awareness during the radio interview. Listening to the feed, it sounded more like a casual conversation between close friends than a discussion broadcasted over the radio.

You can think whatever ignorant, hate-filled, or otherwise vile beliefs towards a group of people -- just keep it to yourself. I'd rather people be reserved and politically correct than truthful if this is the result.

We've all witnessed several NBA players drawing criticism for their comments concerning gay athletes recently. Mainly, because they appear not to have been told how to react. If I were Williams, I'd seriously consider instructing Guillen and everyone within our organization how to appropriately answer the question (if asked). Take a company line. Say, "I respect someone's choice...." or "It wouldn't effect how I view the person." Even if they don't believe it. Because you just know a reporter is going to ask Guillen, or another person, hoping for controversy and a juicy quote. Ozzie doesn't need unwanted attention again, especially after the Mariotti debacle.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:10 AM)
Hardaway was asked a question and he answered it...truthfully. If you don't want a guy to tell you his truth and are looking for the 'feel good, Miss America answer', then don't ask the frickin' question.

That'll never happen. The media lives for stories such as these.

NBA players, in particular, are probably pushed into a corner when asked this question. I'm not going to debate the perception of the "NBA culture," but just say this -- it would look strange if someone said 'no comment', or some other form of avoidance, in response to a journalist inquiring about a potentially gay teammate.

Someone needs to coach these players had to respond from this point forward, because the NBA is appearing like a horde full of neanderthals.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:20 AM)
That'll never happen. The media lives for stories such as these.

NBA players, in particular, are probably pushed into a corner when asked this question. I'm not going to debate the perception of the "NBA culture," but just say this -- it would look strange if someone said 'no comment', or some other form of avoidance, in response to a journalist inquiring about a potentially gay teammate.

Someone needs to coach these players had to respond from this point forward, because the NBA is appearing like a horde full of neanderthals.

Homophobes and bigots exist in and outside the NBA, we all know this. We just don't want to know who they are or HEAR them talk about it. I find that very interesting and dissapointing.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:10 AM)
Hardaway was asked a question and he answered it...truthfully. If you don't want a guy to tell you his truth and are looking for the 'feel good, Miss America answer', then don't ask the frickin' question.

again I ask...did he have to rant about it?

He could have just as easily said "I want nothing to do with them" and left. It's vague but suggestive, and it ends everything. Or he could have realized how hateful his words were and he could have kept his prejudice to himself, and just said "No comment."

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 02:23 AM)
again I ask...did he have to rant about it?

He could have just as easily said "I want nothing to do with them" and left. It's vague but suggestive, and it ends everything. Or he could have realized how hateful his words were and he could have kept his prejudice to himself, and just said "No comment."

Which is basically saying the same thing. Yes, he SHOULD have done that, but he didn't.

The opposite side of the spectrum is Alex Rodriguez. He measures every answer and the people and the press come pretty close to crucifying him for it. He's too worried about his image. He's not interesting because he doesn't say anything inflammatory.

Hardaway is an ignorant bigot. BUT, he was asked a question and he answered it honestly. Now, he has to live with the consequences of that. I can't fault him for saying what he felt, but I can ignore him from this point forward.

PS...Mel Gibson was drunk and ranting and Michael Richards just flew off the handle. No one asked them anything, they did it on their own.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
Which is basically saying the same thing. Yes, he SHOULD have done that, but he didn't.

The opposite side of the spectrum is Alex Rodriguez. He measures every answer and the people and the press come pretty close to crucifying him for it. He's too worried about his image. He's not interesting because he doesn't say anything inflammatory.

Hardaway is an ignorant bigot. BUT, he was asked a question and he answered it honestly. Now, he has to live with the consequences of that. I can't fault him for saying what he felt, but I can ignore him from this point forward.

PS...Mel Gibson was drunk and ranting and Michael Richards just flew off the handle. No one asked them anything, they did it on their own.

There is a HUGE difference in someone trying to say the right thing such as "I'm working hard, playing one game at a time...etc" and not offending Yankee fans.

It's another thing to flat out engage in HATE speech.

I don't think A-Rod is trying to control his racist urges whenever he gives a press conference.

I can truly fault him for saying how he felt. Just as I can fault Matt Hale, Fred Phelps and other public figures who speech can incite hate towards a group for no reason but pure ignorance. I don't think Voltaire had this kind of pure hatred in mind when he said "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it!"

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)

No one asked this douche to say "I hate gay people" either. It's one thing to say that you're not comfortable with it, it's another thing to say that they hate gay people.