New delivery for Zito

RME JICO

http://www.nbcsports.com/mlb/1056261/detail.html

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Barry Zito unveiled a different delivery on his first day with the San Francisco Giants, making at least one of his new coaches a little nervous.

Pitching coach Dave Righetti went as far as to say the tweaks Zito made this winter -- seen by the team for the first time Thursday -- could cause him to lose his dominant curveball and wear down his body. Zito has never missed a start in his seven-year career.

"He's gone from one extreme to another from a pitching standpoint," Righetti said after San Francisco's pitchers and catchers finished their initial workout. "His ball flight is going to be different, no doubt about it."

With his feet shoulder width apart and legs bent, Zito now bounces slightly before taking a big step backward at the beginning of his delivery. He said that creates a longer stride, and his motion is more fluid.

"That'll wear him down. He's going to over-stride," Righetti said. "It's going to be tough on him. He's a good athlete and he got himself in shape for it. Maybe it's all tied in together and he felt he had to do something. To me, it'll be about making his pitches. If he loses the curveball, which he could because he'll be throwing from a different angle now -- we'll see how sore his groin is tomorrow."

I thought this was pretty odd to tinker with your delivery to this extent, especially if you are an established pitcher.

Dontrelle Willis has had a lot of success since he turned his Fernando-esque leg kick into a more normal leg kick, however he's younger and has more velocity than Zito, while releying less on a curveball. But hey, he just signed a deal for 126 million dollars guaranteed, so he can do whatever the hell he wants. Be interested to see how this actually works though.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
Over striding also has one other side effect, you have a propensity to leave the ball up more.

You can lose some control and have more side to side break on the ball other than over the top. I believe that Gavin had the same overstriding problem as did Thorton.

Over-stridng will decrease his follow through and as someone said earlier tend to leave the ball up more. Righetti has a valid concern also. If you don't complete the follow through, throwing the curve with the big break is much more difficult. He may compensate and lower the arm angle and completely change his best pitch.

My guess is he was starting to have some shoulder discomfort. This type of of biomechanics will take stress off the proximal structure (shoulder) and transfer it down the chain to the next point (elbow).

It will be interesting to watch. I haven't seen or broken down video yet. When I see it I'll run it through the computer and and check the stresses.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
Dontrelle Willis has had a lot of success since he turned his Fernando-esque leg kick into a more normal leg kick, however he's younger and has more velocity than Zito, while releying less on a curveball. But hey, he just signed a deal for 126 million dollars guaranteed, so he can do whatever the hell he wants. Be interested to see how this actually works though.

A crazy kick or crazy turn sometimes causes a pitcher not to focus on the target until the ball is about to be released. This will cause some control issues on its own merit.

He can do what he wants to do, however you cant say that the giants will be too happy. Its about how I felt last year, when Freddy started this BS that he wanted to become a control pitcher and was "choosing" to be a soft tosser.

My guess is he was starting to have some shoulder discomfort. This type of of biomechanics will take stress off the proximal structure (shoulder) and transfer it down the chain to the next point (elbow).

You probably hit it on the head. Hopefully his release and follow through still leaves his left hand around his right knee with the follow through. When you throw a 12-6 type curve like Zito, the key is to keep ontop of the pitch and pull down like you are pulling on a window shade and not to stop it abruptly. If he starts a side to side motion with it, he will get more left to right action on it and he will put more stress on his arm.

Edited by southsideirish71